The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2005, 01:34 PM   #1
H K M P 5 S D

handgun hunting

I feel condifent with my new 44mag, I am grouping well at 50 yards and have been told i am more than good enough to hunt with it. What are your opinions on hunting w/ a new gun with limited experience with? I will problay take the rifle along when i am in my stand but for still hunting i was going to rely on the 44. Also it is gettign close to season and my tru glo sights have not come in yet, should i stick wiht the orginal sights and wait or should i try getting use to them when they get in?

Any other advice on handgun hunting would be great.

thanks
Old October 29, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2
LHB1

Those sound like decisions that you should make for yourself. Use what works for you. My personal choice is a Leupold 2X EER scope on S&W M629. At 66 I can't see well enough to use open sights in the field but still do OK with them on targets.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Last edited by LHB1; October 29, 2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old October 29, 2005, 03:43 PM   #3
mete

I hate all those glowing sights including the original orange one on my M29 because they give very different sight pictures and point of impact depending on whether you're in he sun or shade !! An accurate load should give you no more than 1 1/2" groups at 25 yds.Your limits are the max distance at which you can hit a 10" circle under field conditions. Typically the 44 is good to about 50-75 yds with iron and 75-100 with scope. There is no need for anything more than 240 gr bullets for deer.Practice ,practice both one hand and two .One hand because if the deer comes up on your right you don't have to turn around or once in my case your left hand is in a cast !!!
Old October 29, 2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If the deer is unaware of you, and you're aiming at a specific point with enough time to ensure your hit, to 50 yards is fine.

It's a mix of hunting skill and pistol skill, not just one or the other. From a stand? Mostly, the deal there is purely the distance.

Art
Old October 30, 2005, 08:37 PM   #5
22-rimfire

I think you're all set. Confidence etc. Now you have to see a legal deer within range and take the shot. You can play around with scopes later. I use a Leupold 2x ERR scope myself on a Ruger 480. Scopes are a whole different ball game and they take some getting used to.

I would give some thought as to the kind of rest you are likely or not likely to have given a shot at a whitetail in the area you are hunting and from where you will have your shots. Rests are important for accurate shots especially with a handgun.