The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1
orangeamcs

Aimpoint or Eotech

My AR-15 is supposed to arrive in the next few days. The EoTech 552 I ordered has been on back order for 8-10weeks and now it may be another 8-10. My brother suggests the Aimpoint and says he can get really good deals on them. I just wanted to know what everyones opinion is. Should I consider a aimpoint or wait for the Eotech. The ar is a RRA LE basically it is the same gun as the DEA gun except the barrel is 16". I have the surefire rail system on the way also and would like to build it like the DEA guns. What should I do? What model Aimpoint is equivalent to the EOtech 552?
matt
Old December 17, 2004, 03:01 PM   #2
ponyexpress

I saw an EoTech a couple weeks ago and I was impressed with it. What I really liked was that it had a 1 moa dot which was excellent for use at the 100 yard range.
Old December 17, 2004, 04:05 PM   #3
abelew

Aimpoint is what the military uses for general issue for the M-4 optic....they are rugged, but expensive.
Old December 29, 2004, 01:44 PM   #4
USMCbulletsponge

EOTECH on the M4 in Iraq

the Eotech is worth the wait, although i got one on ebay from Wolf Tactical delivered the next day for $401.00. I am using the Eotech on the streets of Ramadi, and it is everything it claims. I have tried an issued Aimpoint and did not like it compared to the Eotech. The Eotech is like cheating! It is seriously fast for target acquisition and I use mine mounted forward using the "co-witnessing" technique. I removed the iron rear sight ap, and can mount my night vision in its place. With the 3x magnifier those little rascals don't even know where its coming from. Also while using a PEQ 2 or 4 one can BZO other optics without firing a shot, using NVGs, once the Eotech is BZO'd which can also be done without firing a shot if your iron sights are BZO'd, which does actually require some shooting.
Old December 29, 2004, 01:46 PM   #5
USMCbulletsponge

Eotech on M4 in IRaq

did i mention with the forward mounted set up, you can also mount various scopes aft of the Eotech and use them with a quick release, for extra badguy killing convenience.
Old December 29, 2004, 01:51 PM   #6
USMCbulletsponge

Eotech on the M4 in Iraq

oh, yeah... and since you use it both eyes open, allowing you use of your peripheral vision, you can see badguys moving to the sides of your currently falling target for faster multiple-target acquisition. if i could do anything to the eotech, i would add a modular daytime magnifier. but that would be just plain unfair.
Old January 7, 2005, 03:30 AM   #7
oakmax1

eotech

I like both, but like the devildog said eotech is slightly nicer. I'd get the little one without the AA bateries, nice and short. Think twice about nv capable unless you have nods and other little toys at your disposal.

I hope you have a good vest if you are in fact a bulletsponge, and a good supply of quick clot. Stay safe
Old January 7, 2005, 06:58 PM   #8
orangeamcs

I am now supposed to have the EoTech in about a month. I think Ill just wait at this point. The place I am getting it from gave me a hell of a deal on it and the guy even offered to take the one off of his rifle so I could use it until mine came. Thanks for the info. Bulletsponge, what is a 3x magnifier exactly, I was going to get a BUIS but maybe Ill hold off on that now. If you are still in Ramadi call my brother Chris at 813 624 6022. He can hook you up with a new SACS kit for your rifle. Check out the website www.cleenboreusa.com He has been sending those kits and Militec-1 over there like mad. The soldiers seem to love the stuff. Anything to help you guys out.
Thanks
Matt