The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 13, 2001, 08:39 PM   #1
exilefromhell

Gun safes

Which one(s) do you have. post some pics and links if you can please. thanks
Old July 13, 2001, 08:49 PM   #2
justinr1

I have a Treadlok. I'm happy with it. Don't have any pics though.

justinr1
Old July 13, 2001, 10:00 PM   #3
blades67

Why would I post a picture of the location of my gunsafe, and the ingenious way it has been hidden, on the Internet? If you just want to know what safes everybody owns, just ask that.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 13, 2001, 10:52 PM   #4
exilefromhell

lol you gotta be joking right? lol

i think that you know that i mean a picture from the manufacter website or something. lol
Old July 13, 2001, 11:56 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I have an AMSEC and a surplus Govt safe (bargain if you can find them).

Buy bigger than you ever think you will need. They don't hold as many as you think and the makers claim, especially if you have weapons with pistol grips, they take up much more space than a straight rifle.

Some are a little better than others, but not by much. A pro will have a plan to will get in it if he wants, but the amatuer won't get into any of them.

I did a lot of research but ended up buying from a local dealer. You may find that is the way to go. They deliver, whereas if you order from the maker they almost always deliver curbside. The trucker drops it at the address so you have to plan to be home at a less than conveinent time and you now have to hump it from the street.

Just my opinion.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old July 13, 2001, 11:59 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

Cement vault with a Fort Knox door sounds good to me. One of these days...

Old July 14, 2001, 01:24 AM   #7
blades67

exilefromhell,

No I am not kidding! (It just so happens that I don't have a digital camera or a scanner so I can't post any pictures)

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 14, 2001, 09:21 AM   #8
KSFreeman

JOHNSON!

Jeff Johnson of Zionsville, Indiana. Jeff welds his safes instead of that silly spot welding a lot of them do. The main reason I recommend Johnson safes is that Jeff is the only manufacturer who does not use dry wall as fire insulation. Dry wall is . . . . class, anyone, Bueller? Dry wall is gypsum and water. Contrary to reports from Old Virginny and Floriduh, water around metal is not a generally good thing. Johnson safes have a ceramic fire blanket like they use on commerical water heaters.

During my career as a LEO, I saw two main ways BGs would enter safes. First, push safe down and beat on corner of door and pry it open. Make sure the safe you get is big and heavy so the BGs cannot move it around to do this. Second, smash spot welds and pry top of safe up like tin of sardines. Jeff's welding defeats this possibility.

Given time and tools, any mope can get into your safe. A van full of tools and a cutting torch are great (this is another reason why neighbors are vital to self-defense--"Funny, Freeman doesn't own a van"). Thus, the above mentioned idea of hiding your safe is an excellent one. Your average burglar is 19 and has an 8th grade education and a crowbar. But a low profile keeps him from trying.

The only other recommendation I make is to buy one several sizes bigger than you need. That way you'll have room to grow. One last thing, have Jeff put the peg board on the door so you can hang your pistols on the door with those plastic hooks from Lowe's.
Old July 14, 2001, 01:46 PM   #9
Romulus

KSF, does Mr. Johnson have a website?
Old July 14, 2001, 06:18 PM   #10
loknload

Which Safe?

I have a National Security, Excellent safe and I love it Only problem is, I need another one
Old July 14, 2001, 07:05 PM   #11
1911Fool

I just got a Liberty Lincoln, 35 cu ft with the granite exterior. I think it is a quality safe. I 'm sure it can keep Joe Crackhead out if needed. $1550 plus $125 for delivery. It is worth every penny just for the piece of mind it provides me.
Mike

http://www.libertysafe.com/index.html
Old July 14, 2001, 07:42 PM   #12
exilefromhell

Joe Crackhead. lol

Hey KSFreeman does that guy have a site? Sounds like something to look into.
Old July 17, 2001, 02:23 PM   #13
PKAY

I have a Cannon safe. The 24 gun size, whichever that is. I love it. Locally manufactured (CA), full weldment, fire rated, hidden hinges, double thick door, key released combination lock. Purchased from B&B Westminster, delivered by a company that specializes in delivering safes. Brought it all the way into the house to its destination and bolted through the floor to cement slab. 750 lbs. empty. It's a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] load heavier now. Cost at the time (1996) ~$1200 on sale. Delivery cost - $84 installed. Newer models have some improved features. Check out the web site.
Old July 18, 2001, 04:27 PM   #14
jhampton

I like the Palmer Security line of gun safes.(Palmer Security products)

I am considering purchasing three of the "drawer type" for both of my vehicles and my bedroom. (Drawer style) Let me know what you think.
FIGHT CRIME......
SHOOOT BACK!
-----------------------------
There is no such thing as gun control, only incremental gun prohibition!
Old August 13, 2001, 12:18 PM   #15
CavVet

As I shopped safes, I noticed there were a host of commercial ones which were very similar (60x30x18 or so, *firelined*, etc) but the biggest difference was price. Most are around 1200, give or take a hundred, PLUS shipping (local gunstore, cabelas, the gun store supplier, etc).

I happened thru Sams club, and found the same exact safe for 899. They will load it in your pickup (leaving the SAME amount of safe wrestling from curbside delivery). When I inquired they had none in the back, and only a demo, which was in GREAT condition. One problem, it has the 5 bar spinner opener, and there was an opener missing.

I talked to the manager, and ended up with a 10% discount...
plus my demokommie statehas ruled NO sales tax on gun safes...
plus the 7 dollars to the manufacturer for a replacement spoke...

1200 dollar plus shipping safe for 816. there ARE deals out there..I had been shopping for two months, and was watching, waiting and learning....

Here is the SAME exact safe for 1299......you decide...

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts...?format=search