The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2016, 04:08 PM   #26
RC20

I like clean and shiny.

Also shows up issues better IMNSHO
Old November 23, 2016, 06:23 PM   #27
JeepHammer

It's the clean part... Stainless cleans the inside of the case just as well as the outside.

I've got some stainless chips on order, I want to see how they do.
Old November 23, 2016, 07:30 PM   #28
Stats Shooter

Stainless chips you say? I didn't know of such a thing. I have the pins. Hopefully the chips are all small enough to easily go in and out of smaller calibers
Old November 24, 2016, 10:44 AM   #29
cw308

I went with the wet tumbler with Stainless Steel Pins using the pins designed for it. When I saw how it cleaned the primer pockets & the carbon out of the inside of the case I was hooked. Gave the outer away to a friend.
Old November 25, 2016, 06:41 AM   #30
1100 tac

"Yup. I put them in the oven on a piece of foil on the lowest setting to dry them out afterwards. "

Couple of paper towels on a cookie sheet work great.

Last edited by 1100 tac; November 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:24 PM   #31
disseminator

I run my rifle and magnum pistol brass through an Ultra Sonic cleaner then lube, resize, and trim. I then tumble them in walnut with Dillon polish.

This gets the brass very clean inside and outside including the case necks. I do decap prior to the sonic cleaning and it does well with the primer pockets although not 100% probably 90%.

For 223 and 300 blk, where I am prepping about a thousand at a time, I'll skip the sonic and tumble them twice since I am not looking for these rounds to win beauty contests.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:20 AM   #32
trixter

Just a note here to all of my friends that use walnut media to clean their brass, from experience; make sure that the dryer sheets that you use are USED! The unused/new ones will make your media ineffective.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:27 AM   #33
shootbrownelk

Hey Trickster, I forgot that part about the dryer sheets being used ones. Thanks for the correction.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:20 PM   #34
JeepHammer

Mississippi, odd shapes of stainless media has been around for polishing for probably as long as tumbling has been around.
Throw an eBay search for Stainless Chip Media and have a look...

The 'Jewlery' version isn't really suitable for anything but larger pistol cases, IF you mix in some pins for flash holes & primer pockets,
And when you say 'Jewlery' the price shoots up...
But it's something to look at so you get an idea.

I threw larger stainless chips from a saw into the deburring machine, screened out the really small and really big and threw it in with the pins.
Result wasn't cleaner brass since brass comes out pretty well spotless anyway,
But it cleaned even the dirtiest brass REALLY QUICKLY, about half the time it normally takes with pins.

I don't have any stainless jobs coming up that will produce chips of sufficient size, so I ordered some more.
Old November 27, 2016, 07:58 PM   #35
50 shooter

If your only worry is the necks, try using an old green scrubbing pad with a little soap on it. It will get rid of the carbon with just a quick spin.

I do this with surplus brass when I run it through Iosso, a green pad with Iosso on it wil remove carbon from carbon! After a couple minutes in Iosso I rinse it and then throw it in the oven set on warm. 10 minutes later and you have clean shiny brass ready to load, if you want it super shiny you can throw it in some corncob for a half hour.
No time for rearranging.