The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Reloader2

Setting up Lee dies

I've got several sets of Lee dies. I want to start loading for the 357 and 44 mags on the new Lee Classic turret press. I just received the factory crimp dies for both so I won't have to crimp with the bullet seating die. My question is how many turns should I back off the seating die so it won't crimp while seating the bullet?
Old August 22, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Gster

The directions say to screw it in until it touches the shell holder and then back it out 3 full turns. You would still be able to seat a bullet if you backed it out 4. I would set it according to instructions and run a case in and back it out until it doesn't touch it, + 1/4 turn to allow for untrimmed, different length cases.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
lamarw

Go to the Lee Precision web site. They have instructions for most all their equipment to include dies there (the same as comes with die sets).
Old August 22, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Real Gun

The box the dies came in should have a folded paper that has the instructions on it.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
noylj

Lee says 3 turns. I usually: place a case in the shell holder (I set up ALL dies with a case or case/bullet in the shell holder for alignment), raise the ram. I turn the seating stem all the way up. I screw the die body down until it touches the case, then turn the die body up 1-2 turns (it isn't critical). I then lower the ram, place a bullet in the empty case (I always create two inert dummy rounds when I am setting up dies and determining COL for a new bullet), and raise the ram. I then turn down the seating stem until it touches the bullet. I lower the ram, turn the seating stem down one turn and raise the ram. I then tighten the die body. From there, I adjust seating depth until I have a COL that works in my gun(s) for that bullet. In order to play with COL, you need to just crimp the case enough that it drops in the barrel (or case gage) and then you seat the bullet in steps testing feed and function for a semi-auto. The bullet is often damaged, but I save the dummies with a tag.
Old August 23, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
chiefr

If you do not want to adjust your dies everytime you use them, you need to get rid of the O-ring lock nuts, especially on your seating die.
It is next to impossible to install your die in the exact same position due to compression differences of the O-ring.

The dummy rounds are a good idea, but I recommend a standard lock nut, which can be locked in place, to use on your seating die, especially if you use the same bullets.
Hornady, RCBS, or any other than Lee makes lockable nuts.

IMHO: O-ring dies are OK for sizing and belling, but not for seating.
Old August 23, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Real Gun

The Lee dies are to be finger tightened. Part of that is to avoid compressing the O-ring. Otherwise the seating force will decompress the O-ring and cause slight variances in OAL.

If using the Lee "breech lock" or Hornady LnL presses, it should be less of an issue, because the die itself never gets moved.
Old August 23, 2013, 05:57 PM   #8
chiefr

Real Gun posted:
The Lee dies are to be finger tightened. Part of that is to avoid compressing the O-ring. Otherwise the seating force will decompress the O-ring and cause slight variances in OAL.
If using the Lee "breech lock" or Hornady LnL presses, it should be less of an issue, because the die itself never gets moved.

Finger tight is and alway will be subjective. Finger tight to a small boy or woman will always be different from that of male or a professional wrestler. When you remove a Lee die you end up moving the locknut in relation to the die. This does not happen with locknuts.
I do not have a problem with Lee O-ring locknuts on some progressives because they remain in place. On some progressives, the O-ring locknuts are too large to work.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
02bigdogs17

Screw the seater plug out almost all the way. Then put the seater die in the press take an empty case put it in the shell holder and run it up all the way. Now screw the seater die down until it touches the case and then back out the seater die one turn. Your ready to rock and roll.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Heavy Metal 1

Cheifr posted:"Finger tight is and alway will be subjective. Finger tight to a small boy or woman will always be different from that of male or a professional wrestler. When you remove a Lee die you end up moving the locknut in relation to the die. This does not happen with locknuts."

I agree that "finger tight" is subjective, but since YOU are the one doing the tightening each time there is consistency. I have not seen any creep of the die/lockring when I do it. I just finger tighten them as firmly as I can each time and my repeatability is consistent. I despise the RCBS cheesy brass set screw setup. I find they strip out too easily and do not hold well even w/ the lead shot under the brass screw. This Lee vs RCBS vs Hornady lock ring issue is bandied about on every reloading board I have seen and each has its fans and detractors. Lockrings are cheap enough that you could try some of each and see what you like the best.