The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 09:06 AM   #26
stantheman1976

The majority of people are so wrapped up in their daily lives they don't pay attention. Even if a person did see a bulge on your side chances are they'll think it's a cell phone. Many popular cell phones are a bit larger in the first place and when you get a Otterbox cover or similar with a belt clip it becomes quite bulky.

I'm a pretty "weighty" fellow and I carry IWB at 4 o'clock. I've carried with different clothing and in numerous places where it would be easy to be spotted if it was going to happen. You don't have much to worry about honestly.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Carry_24/7

As a "gun guy", I can say I have noticed printing only because I looked for it in someone also wearing a "gunner" t-shirt of one type or another. For instance, a guy wearing a Glock t-shirt in Publix got my attention....I looked and saw a "print" of a handgun on his hip.

If he had not been wearing that shirt, I never would have seen him at all.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:15 AM   #28
Kilroy08

Like several said before and to appropriate some of my mother's age old wisdom, "Don't pick at it!"

I was a little concerned at first myself, once I got my carry permit. Is it poking out? Do I have something bulging?????

People are so absorbed with playing with their phones or updating their Facebook status that they are oblivious. Unless you are constantly tugging your shirt or jacket back down.

Take this evening, for example.

Sweet Thing wanted to go to the mall and browse around. I had a pistol in an OWB holster and was wearing my leather jacket with the stupid elastic lined waist that loves to ride up just a half an inch, no more. I straightened it out when we got out of the Jeep. Kind of normal, guy gets out, adjusts his coat. Well, it rode up, inside the mall. I let it go instead of constantly fidgeting with it. I walked past 5 state troopers,bunch of mall cops, and scores of fellow shoppers. No one said anything.

I'm not saying you should just not care about concealment, just act casual when the occasional inadvertent print happens.

If you don't make it obvious, chances are no one will notice.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:13 AM   #29
BerdanSS

The day of my cousins wedding, my wife and I stopped for a cold soda on the long drive between the church and the reception (why do people get married in August) in the gas station I open the cooler and my Kimber II came out in the open from my suit jacket (carrying front of hip) A young man saw it and came running to me....He said "officer, my mom locked her keys in the car out here, could you pop the lock for us? The other time was at wal-mart standing in line with my SAA OC...Little boy behind me (maybe 8 years old?) asked his parents if I was a Cowboy

OP....if you don't have state ruling against it...you'll be fine and no one can hassle you (legally that is)
Old January 3, 2013, 11:20 AM   #30
pete2

I've got a pancake holster that will hide a 4" 686 under a shirt or light jacket. It's not comfortable and not fast. I usually put a 642 in a pocket. A light jacket works well. In the winter I have an insulated vest with pockets.