The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Loronzo

Hornady Z-max vs Critical Defense

So while at my local LFR I picked up some what appeared to be novelty rounds by hornady. They are called "Zmax" Zombie killing rounds. After I got home and did a side by side with my current carry load of Critical Defense I noticed that they have the same stated muzzle velocities and appear to be an identical cartridge except they are brass instead of nickle plated and have a neon green tip instead of the traditional pink. After some range testing (I'm not a balistics expert but I do have access to some water jugs) they seem to be in fact pretty much the same load.
I think its awsome hornady undertands there's a market for stuff like this and was wondering if anyone else has picked any of these up? I don't doubt they would stop a zombie but for something you can buy to put in a display but still use as practical ammo its defently a pretty cool conversation piece as well.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

I bought a couple boxes in 9MM to do a run through in my CM9 when I got it a few months ago. The only reason was that they were a couple bucks cheaper than the CD, and are the same exact thing sans color. I think they might have been cheaper at Cabela's because the zombie gimmick wasn't selling well!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Stressfire

I have wanted to get some in 9mm and .45 for awhile now either for a gag gift for my fiancee or to get her to shoot with me some (she has a thing for zombies)

But have been unable to find it locally in anything but .308 - guys at LGS says the same guy comes in on every shipment day and buys it all up....

Does seem identical to Critical Defense though
Old September 10, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
lyodbraun

there both Junk I have had both, tested them and in gel and not impressed, also had several in the wifes .380 Critical defense that were not loaded with any or enough powder.. thankfully the bullets made it out the short barrel... Id say spend your money on good ammo, Ranger T's Federal HST's or Speer GoldDots...
Old September 10, 2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Marquezj16

Marketing genius or gimmick...I bought in 9mm, shoots just as well as the CD or TAP and HST out of four pistols. Also bought reload bullets for .223 as they are cheaper than Zmax. Have a couple of hundred ready for go for testing.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6

It might be "cool", but I wouldn't wanna have to explain to a jury in a court of law why I used it.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Marquezj16

Quote:
It might be "cool", but I wouldn't wanna have to explain to a jury in a court of law why I used it.
Please show me a documented court case in which an individual was tried in court and convicted based on the type of ammo they used.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I do agree when it comes to highly modified guns, and what could be considered exotic ammo. Like a +P that there is no +P standard pressure for, or super hot handloads. But the Zombie Max has no markings to indicate that is anything but a CD round with a green tip.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Strafer Gott

But everybody knows they're just for shooting zombies! I mean, let's get real here.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:10 PM   #10
lyodbraun

Quote:
"It might be "cool", but I wouldn't wanna have to explain to a jury in a court of law why I used it. "

Cheapshooter
Quote:I do agree when it comes to highly modified guns, and what could be considered exotic ammo. Like a +P that there is no +P standard pressure for, or super hot handloads. But the Zombie Max has no markings to indicate that is anything but a CD round with a green tip. Quote:

Im not gonna get sucked into this, but there is nothing out in "case laws " thats going to affect you if your weapon is using different ammo or you have any modifications done to it.. I dont know why people always think this way.. a clean shoot is a clean shoot... you cant make a weapon, or ammo more deadly..... than it already is...
Old September 10, 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
mySig229

I carry 40 Cal Zombie Max every day. I used to carry HST's, but I'm not impressed with the penetration power of the HST through different media. IE glass & sheet metal. You never know when you'll have to fire though a windshield or car door.

I got Z Max over CD for cost as well. Cheaper...and the shops here blow through it. Popular here too. And it's right on the box. "Just in case" how do we know there's no Zombie apocalypse coming soon? Be prepared. Lol
Old September 10, 2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Nanuk

It does not matter, modified gun, exotic ammo. If you are involved in a questionable shoot you are going to be questioned.

Zombie max is the same as Critical Defense.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Bamashooter

I went to buy some CD for my .45 the other day and the commando behind the counter told me to buy the zombie max because its the same and it was a couple bucks cheaper. Sometimes the gun counter commando's are actually good for something.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
there is nothing out in "case laws
But there is some interesting advise from this legal expert.
http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/...f-defense-guns
Old September 10, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquesj16:
Please show me a documented court case in which an individual was tried in court and convicted based on the type of ammo they used.
Sure.

Harold Fish.
Old September 11, 2012, 12:47 AM   #16
Cheapshooter

Now, to get back to the OP topic. Z-Max is just Critical Defense with a different color polymer tip in the bullet, and loaded in brass cases rather than the nickle plated case of CD. Maybe that's why they were a couple bucks a box cheaper. The bottom line, if you like CD, and oractice with what you carry. You might save a few bucks buying the Z-Max. As long as they keep making it that is. The fad may change, and next year it might be Furry-Max that they come up with!
Old September 11, 2012, 01:21 AM   #17
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySig229 View Post
I carry 40 Cal Zombie Max every day. I used to carry HST's, but I'm not impressed with the penetration power of the HST through different media. IE glass & sheet metal. You never know when you'll have to fire though a windshield or car door.

I got Z Max over CD for cost as well. Cheaper...and the shops here blow through it. Popular here too. And it's right on the box. "Just in case" how do we know there's no Zombie apocalypse coming soon? Be prepared. Lol
I'd put solid money on HST penetrating better and more consistently than Z-Max, but the important part is carrying a round you feel confident with. Like my dad and Hydra Shoks. An outdated round next to my HSTs and Gold Dots, but he's so murderously accurate and confident with the load I don't think it'd matter.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:03 AM   #18
Marquezj16

Harold Fish - I think if you look closer at that case, it has more to do with his story being inconsistent and having poor representation.

If interested here's the scoop on the story.
http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/

Last edited by Marquezj16; September 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old September 11, 2012, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquezj16:
Harold Fish - I think if you look closer at that case, it has more to do with his story being inconsistent and having poor representation.
You asked for an example case where the type of ammo the defendant used resulted in a conviction. The caliber, 10mm, that Fish used/carried played a significant part in his conviction- example provided!

Past that, I really have no desire to debate the other factors in the case since it is of very little interest to me. I've provided an example that answered your question. If you want more, I am sure that a little research on your part will locate more examples if you wanna pursue it.

If memory serves, I believe that Mas Ayoob wrote an article not too long ago that dealt with this issue or at least some of the implications of selecting certain kinds of ammunition.

Time to let this thread return to its earlier course...
Old September 11, 2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Marquezj16

Quote:
Time to let this thread return to its earlier course...
You are right. Probably would have never left that course if comments did not steer it away from it.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Mobuck

You realize they can make that little plastic tip thingy any color they want, right????????????
Old September 12, 2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Stressfire

Quote:
You realize they can make that little plastic tip thingy any color they want, right????????????
Good, I'd like them in purple, please. They can put a pic of Sam Jackson from Pulp Fiction on it and call it BMF-Max

I would still go for the standard ammo...mostly because even the manufacturer is really "selling" the zombie aspect of the ammo:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/10/1...mbie-max-ammo/
Old September 13, 2012, 06:49 AM   #23
seeker_two

Then again.....using a type of ammo NOT marketed for SD might help in a "I didn't expect trouble so my gun was loaded with fun range ammo" kind of way.....but most likely not.....
Old September 14, 2012, 02:07 AM   #24
iraiam

Yes, it's the same ammo for all intents and purposes, the zombie ammo thing is just a sales gimmick. I read an article somewhere, maybe Shotgun News,? even a Hornaday big wig says the zombie ammo is being bought by people who don't even own a gun just to display it somewhere.

I'll see if I can find that article again. Nevermind it looks like it might be just a few posts up.