The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 14, 2012, 07:09 PM   #26
mtbikerwvu

Is there a pattern out there for building your own transit box?
Old May 14, 2012, 09:07 PM   #27
Tikirocker

No patterns perse', somebody posted something up in one of the Enfield forums ages ago but I have no idea where it was now. It was the dimensions for the No4 transit box. A bloke in my neck of the woods makes replica's that look spot on, but I like having an original and that is what I have.

Another question ... does your butt stock bear the S51 stamp on the heel? There are reasons to ask this because serial numbers can be faked and stamped onto rifle stocks but there are some stamps that have a special font, that can't be duplicated unless you have those armorers stamps. The S51 stamp has the S in sans serif ... if you don't have this stamp then it is likely your stock isn't legit.

To clarify before ... the scope number will be on the top of the butt stock near the wrist, the rifle serial number should be on the top of the butt stock socket when removed. So you can check if this stock is original or not by removing the butt stock and checking the socket is stamped with the rifles serial number. Only No4T's are like this, so if there is nothing there, you don't have an original No4T stock. Odds of finding the matching scope, remote.

EDIT - Looking at the image of the butt stock you posted, I can't see the important S51 stamp at all. Can you post a clearly picture showing the middle section of the butt stock underside + heel?

Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; May 14, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:58 PM   #28
mtbikerwvu

Nothing in the metal of the butt socket and nothing on the wood area that fits up into the socket. The heel wood has some damage just before the buttplate but I can tell there was a stamp there prior to the damage. The gun seems legit to me but I am sure it has been through refurb at some point. I am beginning to think it might be a rifle that was never paired with a scope originally. Thanks for the help Tiki!
Old May 14, 2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Tikirocker

If you have nothing on the socket area then that butt stock isn't legit, flat out. All No4T rifles that went through Holland & Holland, whether they passed muster or not, would have had the stocks serial numbered in those specific locations, they would still be clear and visible to this day. If you don't have those markings, there is no way that stock is original to the rifle.

Can you post detailed pics of the top of the butt stock near the receiver, and the socket itself when removed? At best the butt stock may be a replacement, even if the fore-end is original. Also, I can see clearly that the heel does not bear the S51 mark where it should be so, it really is no dice on the butt.

Tiki.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:52 AM   #30
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by that crazy bloke down under
I asked if the Serial number started with a 3 ... the letter prefix is not a number and is largely irrelevant to identifying BSA No4T's. It is the first number of the series that is key to their identity, that being more often than not, the number 3.

A serial number can have a letter prefix, but the letter prefix is not a number, it is merely part of the serial series. You will note also the Serial numbers on my No8 case match the correct number format for a No4T; ie, B33279. This was the tenor of my question ...
Come on Tiki, you know the 'serial number' includes 'any' perfix or suffix, but I did know what you were getting at.

Quote:
If the stock is original to the rifle you should have an S56 stamp on the underside of the butt stock.
Typo? It well be marked S51 under the comb (bottom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerwvu
Nothing in the metal of the butt socket and nothing on the wood area that fits up into the socket.
Butt stock has been replaced at one time, not unheard of.
There's a guy in BC, Canada that builds transit chests and sells them on evil bay and at http://www.milsurps.com. Evil bay has original No32's often, study to pic's well, there are fakes. Expect to pay up to $1500 and another 4-600 to have it rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerwvu
The gun seems legit to me but I am sure it has been through refurb at some point. I am beginning to think it might be a rifle that was never paired with a scope originally.
The rifle certainly appears legit to me. The staking of the pad screws looks legit. It is possible this rifle was not mated to a scope at H&H. Interesting it went through Weldon Arsenal.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; May 15, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:25 AM   #31
Tikirocker

Crate,

S51 indeed ... typo for sure, you can see I typed S51 in other places. Seems you caught the bug from me below - you want Weedon, not Weldon.

Quote:
Interesting it went through Weldon Arsenal.
I made the point about the serial number because you seemed to have missed the point of my question - of course I know a full serial has a prefix, but I was asking whether the numerical series started with that all important 3.

Tiki.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:27 AM   #32
mtbikerwvu

With a screen name like mad crate builder, you ought to be the guy building the transit cases. LOL I am a cabinet builder by trade and want to find plans or detailed pics and measurements to try one of my own. The gun is getting me kind of bummed but I hope to keep up with it.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:50 AM   #33
Tikirocker

Don't be bummed, for me the rifle is the barreled action - Enfield stocks were frequently replaced through FTR programs or when returned to store at depot repair, such as Weedon. It is only a major concern for collectors who want a completely original rifle, from boots to braces. I would still be very proud to have that rifle in my collection, seek out a No32 scope for it, get it on there, get the right sling and scope caps and be happy.

Tiki.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #34
mtbikerwvu

decided to sell it for $900 call me if interested 406-208-3405
Old May 16, 2012, 07:13 AM   #35
madcratebuilder

The fact that your (T) is not a cookie cutter (T) makes it more interesting. Don't give up so soon. It may well have some interesting history behind it.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:45 AM   #36
mtbikerwvu

Well it is still here and hasn't gone anywhere yet.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:49 AM   #37
mtbikerwvu

@Madcrate me and the family were just in Oregon over Easter for a vacation, had a great time. On the coast in Yachats. Actually found a really nice little gun shop there along the highway. Very small but very friendly folks at that store.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:47 AM   #38
madcratebuilder

That's a nice area. Just did a three day mini vacation near there last week. Many of the hardware stores over there still sell guns. Prices can run high, they are trolling for rich valley folks.