The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
OnTheFly

Bushnell vs. Barska

I've got a .22lr rifle that I'm doing some target/varmint shooting at 25 to 100 yards. I would like a 40+mm objective for the light, so I think most of the .22 scopes are out for that reason. This leaves me with fixed objective scopes set at 100-150 yards which will be an issue when shooting down to 25 yards, so I am considering adjustable objective scopes.

I've narrowed it down to a Barska Varmint 6.5-20x50mm (kind of long for a .22lr at 16") which I found for $39.97 + S&H (smoke'n deal or not what it seems?), or a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm for $89.64 (including S&H).

Without getting into a debate on how a scope less than $100 (MSRP for both is +$100) will be worthless, does anyone have any useful info on these two scopes? I'm just doing some informal target shooting and the scope shouldn't be banged around too much.

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 13, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
762mm

Get the Bushnell. All my scopes are Bushnell and for the money, they are good values. Had them on my Ruger 10-22 forever and no problems whatsoever and it also holds its zero. All my scopes are AOs and I like them
all.
Old February 13, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

I, and my family members, have three dusk to dawn banners on .22 rifles. they are reasonable quality for the money and we haven't had a problem with any of them. The trophy line is better quality and not a whole lot more money - maybe $50 more than a 4-12 banner. look at them too.

They are just fine for a knockaround .22lr plinker/ casual target rifle.
Old February 13, 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
OnTheFly

Bushnell vs. Barska

Thanks for the input. I have been leaning towards the Bushnell for a while. Found the great (?) price on the Barska and was hoping someone would tell me the same thing about the Barska that was stated above about the Bushnell.

Anyone else had any experience with the Barska or both the brands?

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 13, 2007, 03:13 PM   #5
essexcounty

The Banner has always been an acceptable scope. I would't step any lower. Essex
Old February 13, 2007, 03:21 PM   #6
OnTheFly

Bushnell vs. Barska

So...what's everyone trying to say??? Get the Bushnell?

Just kidding. I'll take the hint and avoid the great deal that really isn't.

Thanks again,
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 14, 2007, 05:42 PM   #7
rcupka

I seem to be in the minority, but I took a chance and got the Barska 6X24X50 for an old 22-250 I had and have not regretted the decision. I am currently getting 5 shot 3/8 inch groups @ 100 yds. with factory ammo the first time I took it to the range. I am just beginning to hand load so I hope to do better. The scope definately loses contrast at the highest magnifications, and I would not trade it for my Burris scopes, but for $59 I was pretty pleased.
Old February 26, 2007, 11:58 PM   #8
Climber

Burris, Now thats the first good scope I have heard mentioned..LOL..

As for thread question. For .22LR both will work great. .22lr means less then 100 yards...

Enjoy..
Old February 28, 2007, 12:18 AM   #9
LAK Supply

I too would suggest the Bushnell; they tend to be better in quality than Barska. I have a little experience in this area.

http://www.laksupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1486
Old February 28, 2007, 12:33 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Although I have and like several Banner Bushnells, The Barska still may be the better value - it may be a much better value, in fact (same quality at much less $). I just don't know. But judging from the value of the one and only Barska I have, which I just recently got, they seem to perhaps have excellent scopes *for the money*. The Barska I got is from the "SWAT Tactical" line - their most expensive line. The lower ones may be crap or may be good - not sure. PM me if you want a rundown of why I like this SWAT line Barska.

P.S. The Banners are "OK", but they are a bit on the cloudy and "glare-y" side of things.