The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 16, 2006, 09:56 PM   #1
san_chang4837

Saiga shotguns

I do not know much of anything...so here goes

I was looking into Saiga shotguns and I've searched through the threads here. I am under the impression that if I don't buy one now they'll be gone. This is because it is very hard for me to find them on the internet. My family is currently moving (so I can't get anything for another few months).

Will they continue imports (at least until 2008 elections?).
Old April 16, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Ruger4570

If they are going to be "gone" why would you want one in the first place. Get a Remington 870 or an Ithaca 37. I expect they will be around a while and most gunshops have parts, especially for the 870's To me it is close to buying a 1960 Edsel.
Old April 17, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3
oletymer

Far too many posters here are obsessed with Home defense and wanting to look like a Rambo clone. Get a good field or competition shotgun and PRACTICE. Most of the above mentioned shooters I have seen are poor shots. They believe having a gun that shoots more is better than getting a gun and shoot more.

Last edited by oletymer; April 17, 2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old April 17, 2006, 03:54 PM   #4
grey_pilgrim

Caveat: I do not own a saiga.

The plan is for them to keep being imported, as far as I know. They were dropped by EAA, but picked up by another importer.

You might also try checking around saiga-12.com.

I "tend" to agree with the other guys, if you are buying a general purpose shotgun, you might want to look at something else, but if you just want something fun, go for it! Most of us really don't *need* any more than one or two firearms, so it's all about what you like. Don't get a gun you don't like, or you'll never shoot/take care of it.
Old April 17, 2006, 05:00 PM   #5
san_chang4837

There goes my bubble :)

Thanks for the info.

It was just that it was semiauto and cheap...and yes, yes it looks like a rambo gun...for about the same cost as a remington 870 express. If I could, I would rather buy the remington wingmaster, not the express

I'm debating now between the saiga .410 (I know, I know), a remington 870 express 20 ga, or a new england pardner 20 ga.

However, if I find something nice in a local pawn shop anytime this summer I might just jump on that instead.

ED: I'm more or less convinced that I should start with something cheaper, that wouldn't cause any heartbreak if I abuse it.
Old April 20, 2006, 09:39 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

they're once again available through www.raacfirearms.com (ask your gun dealer - Bangers and RSR are two distributors that supposedly have them) , and not going anywhere soon. They have quite a strong happy following of owners. I plan to get a Saiga 12 for home defense. They run like an AK, which means fast-cycling & reliable - not much not to like other than aesthetics. With practice you can get effective with anything, Saigas included.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....tributors.html

Having said that, yeah, used pumps are often dirt cheap at gun shows & pawn shops - don't pay more than about $175, unless it's in real good condition.
Old April 21, 2006, 06:16 PM   #7
san_chang4837

today

Just got my hands on one this afternoon, I liked it, but now I'm considering getting something else! I also found out that the .410 ammo is more expensive than the 12 ga. :barf:

I think I'll forget the shotguns for now...