The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2006, 07:17 PM   #1
dodge

Looking for new powder?

I'm looking for a different powder that I can use in my .357 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt. Currently I'm using Unique in all three calibers but I'm looking for something that will meter better from my Uniflow. This powder will be used for just my plinking loads and I'm thinking that W231 would work for all three but I'm not familiar with it. For my heavy loads in the 357 and the 45 colt I use H110/W296.
Old January 21, 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
steve4102

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/
Old January 21, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3
jsflagstad

How about Power Pistol or Bullseye??

There are many loads for both of these in many manuals. Probably more for Bullseye than PP as I think it has been around longer. I believe Bullseye was developed specially for the 45 ACP if I am not mistaken. I think Bullseye is a faster burning powder than PP so it will normally require less powder per load comparatively to PP.

I used Power Pistol today in my 357 Mag and I really liked it. I loaded it under a 180 grain Hornady HP/XTP. I liked it much more than 2400 as it seems cleaner and easier on the gun. I have used Bullseye as well, and it works well but it seems less tolerant to measurement inconsistencies, and it builds pressure real fast .

I am going to do some more experimenting with Power Pistol in my 9mm, 40 S&W and more loads for my 357 mag, but so far I like what I see. It looks to work well for low velocity target plinker loads and works well on cranked up full house magnum hunting loads as well.

Have fun and be safe.

JSF
Old January 21, 2006, 11:49 PM   #4
somerled

Win. 231 is fine for the .38 Special, .45 ACP and lighter loads in the .357 Mag. I started using it exactly for the same reasons--Unique wouldn't meter uniformly through a RCBS Uniflow measure.

I use 231 behind 158 lead SWCs for .38 Special loads. I've been using 4.7 grains. I've also loaded 200-grain SWC .45 ACP target loads--4.7 up to 5.0 grains depending on the pistol. It's also a great powder for 9mm loads.

You also might look at Hodgdon Universal. It burns at about the same rate as Unique and 231.

I did try 231 in the .45 Colt a few times. It didn't work as well as Unique--the standard deviation was high. I figured there was too much room in the big case.
Old January 22, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5
joecad

win231

i just started reloading and started out with imr800x and win231 both under 230gr lead rn. the win231 meters far better than the imr. win231 has very small granules as opposed to the little disk and cylinders of other powders and i think this is why it meters better.
Old January 22, 2006, 12:30 AM   #6
tjhands

W231 is a VERY versatile powder, which can be used for many calibers. If I had to pick one powder, W231 would be it. I use it for .38 special, .357 mag, 10mm, .45acp, and .44 special.

It's the only powder I buy in 8 lb kegs.
Old January 22, 2006, 12:35 AM   #7
Archie

I use one of two powders for most all my handguns.

I use WW 231 as my default pistol powder for most everything. Everything from .32 ACP to 'light' .44 Magnum loads.

I recently found some surplus powder from GI Brass (www.gibrass.com) which was designed for the .30 Carbine. Oddly enough, I use it in my .30 Carbine. However, it's close to the same burn rate as H110, so it serves in the same capacity one would employ H110; such as .357 and .44 Magnum heavy loads.

And I use "Clays" for my .45 ACP target loads only.

Please note: The surplus powder to which I refer is NOT H110 powder and does not burn EXACTLY the same. All lots of surplus powder tend to vary one from another. If one cannot pay attention and work up loads carefully, one should probably not mess with the stuff. If you blow yourself up, the secretary will disavow all knowledge. Batteries not included. Don't talk to strangers and write if you get work.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old January 22, 2006, 01:41 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've burned a LOT of 231 over the past 20+ years.

One thing I've found is that it's not so great in larger cases. I've gotten erratic results with it in .41 Magnum and .44 Special cases, probably due to light loads and powder position.

For .38/.357/9mm/.45, though, it's about as perfect a powder as you could ever hope to find.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2006, 07:03 AM   #9
skeet47

powder

I switched to TITEGROUP for everything except hot loads in those calibers.It gives better velocity with less powder thus giving you more shots per pound.It also burns cleaner and burns more of the powder than 231.For my hot loads I use LIL GUN.
Old January 22, 2006, 11:44 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Unique's modern clean-burning easy-metering alternative = Hodgdon Universal Clays.

Reeeeal close to Unique in burn rate; real close.

Or, Alliant Power Pistol, Vihtavuori 3N37, Accurate AA5.

While I still keep a jug of Unique around, I burn buckets of Universal Clays, most specifically in revolver chamberings.
I am NOT stuck on one powder; I use twenty.
Old January 25, 2006, 06:00 AM   #11
GLOCK21

I am a big fan of Red Dot. I can use it in a-lot of my callibers. Yes it is a little dirty, but I clean my guns every time I use them. For my IDPA loads I use 4.5 grains under a 200 grain lead swc. It is very accurate and has low recoil. To figure recoil just multiply charge weight in grains by weight of bullet. There is a constant to divide by to get foot pounds, but I leave this step out and call my sum a recoil factor. For my trap loads I use 20 grains under 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2. It is a little hot but very effective. I use this load on small game also. For my light 44mag loads I use 6.5 or 7.5 grains under a 240 gr lead swc. I have 100 45 ACP loads with 200 gr XTPs over 5.5 gr for carry. This load gives me 950 FPS from a Glock 21. I get over 1500 rounds from 1 pound of powder for my .45, very cost effective as well as accurate and safe. Red Dot can be used for subsonic rifle loads. I will not print this information due to dangers of reduced loads. It will not detonate but you may stick a bullet in the bore causing an unsafe situation. Red Dot can be used in almost any modern pistol cartridge with few exceptions. Red Dot has gotten a-lot cleaner than it was a few years ago. I am really surprised more shooters have not given Red Dot a chance. It is an excellent powder and the price is right (about $17 per pound) For my heavy 44mag it is H110.

RELOADING CAN BE DANGEROUS. THESE FIGURES ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT TRY TO REPRODUCE ANY OF THESE WITHOUT WORKING UP FORM A KNOWN SAFE LOAD.
Old January 25, 2006, 06:59 AM   #12
caz223

Red dot meters exactly the same as unique, right?
That's why it isn't more popular.
While I love unique and blue dot, I wouldn't claim that they meter any better than ball powders.
Tha doesn't stop me from using them, however.

If looking for a powder that would replace unique, it's gonna be tough to find.
I can think of only a few alternatives.
One is the already mentioned power pistol.
Another is HS-6.
If you could find load data, I'll bet WSF would work great, too.
Although I personally haven't used 231, it has a big following in stuff like this, and shouldn't be excluded.

Last edited by caz223; January 25, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old January 25, 2006, 09:41 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

I ADORE Red Dot.

But only in 12-gauge field loads.

I tried it once in handguns. While the rounds were VERY accurate, it was just too filthy.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 25, 2006, 11:02 AM   #14
PDshooter

I was thinking myself about trying HP38 or clays
99% of shooting is cast bullet is 45acp.Current load is.
5.3grs W231 H&G68 208gr bullet
OAL...1.240+-.002
I also cast them
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old January 25, 2006, 12:50 PM   #15
tulsamal

I guess I'll be the contrary old cuss here! I've argued with fellow reloaders for years about Bullseye and 231. I personally just don't like the idea of using such a fast powder. Especially in loads that are going to be loaded in vast quanitities where necessarily quality control will be less. It just bothers me to use a powder that gives me working pressures with so little actual mass. I end up checking and rechecking to make sure I don't have any double or triple charges. I'm personally much happier with something that will overflow the case if you try to use a double charge. Maybe that's why I started using Trail Boss in my cowboy guns!

For ease of metering and a broad range of burn speeds, it is hard to beat Accurate Arms. I use #5 in .45 ACP loads. I use a LOT of #7. Perfect for 9mm and .32 Magnum top loads. Works well with the magnum cases at the high medium level. And #9 will give you results just under 296. A great family of ball powders.

Gregg
Old January 25, 2006, 01:03 PM   #16
Michaelm45

"WESHOOT2
Unique's modern clean-burning easy-metering alternative = Hodgdon Universal Clays.

Reeeeal close to Unique in burn rate; real close.

Or, Alliant Power Pistol, Vihtavuori 3N37, Accurate AA5.

While I still keep a jug of Unique around, I burn buckets of Universal Clays, most specifically in revolver chamberings.
I am NOT stuck on one powder; I use twenty."

PLUS 1

PDshooter,
Give Clays a chance. If 99% of your shooting is with a H&G 68 you will love it.
I use 3.8grs Clays in my 1911 and it's very soft recoiling, very clean and very accurate.
Old January 25, 2006, 05:45 PM   #17
P-990

I personally really like W231 and have used a few pounds of the stuff in .44 Special, Magnum and 9mm Luger. I don't like loading anywhere near mx with the stuff though; I prefer to keep it throttled back to something closer to cowboy action loads in the .44-calibers. In the 9mm it only works for me at max charges under 115gr bullets; marginally better with 124s.

One powder I intend to try, just to use up the jug, is Power Pistol. I have probably 1/3-1/2 of a container left from some 9mm experiments. The stuff is awesome to say the least in the Parabellum cartridge. Lots of blast, flash, noise and recoil (comparatively here; it's still not a fire-breathing monster). I suspect Power Pistol and some 200gr bullets would be fun in my .44 Magnum.

Another powder I have looked at is Trail Boss. Given that I prefer to load at light levels for 90% of my shooting, it looks like a good candidate. The downside is that at my local shop it is a little more expensive than the other powders. But I may give it a try anyway.
Old January 25, 2006, 06:21 PM   #18
hivel37

Here's another "amen" for Universal Clays. I use it in .357 and 45 acp. Burns pretty clean. Most all of them run through the measure well.
Old January 26, 2006, 02:34 AM   #19
BILLY D.

i'm 100% in agreement with the other posters about universal clays. i use it in 45colt 41mag, 44mag and 357. really good stuff.

best wishes

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old January 26, 2006, 08:06 AM   #20
Superhornet

Aa#5--aa#7--aa#9--------
Old January 29, 2006, 12:04 AM   #21
GLOCK21

I use many powders also. I am always looking for a more accurate, faster, softer recoil load. I like most Alliant powders. Red Dot can be used in any pistol cartridge for light loads and is very accurate. Red Dot is also awesome powder for trap loads. Bullseye is almost the same as Red Dot in a pistol load but much cleaner. Blue Dot is great in heavy field shotshells, and med heavy magnums. Power Pistol is awesome for powerful auto pistol cartridges. I think Power Pistol was made to safely make USPSC major in the 9mm. I have heard you cant get enouh PP in a 9mm cartridge to blow the gun. I used to use Accurate 2520 for my .223 loads. Too much powder for velocity and not economical. 2520 is best in the .308. Now I use H335 for the .223. I like H110 for heavy 44mag. For the 5.7x28 I use HS6 or Power Pistol. This round is still under development. I am now also working on 357sig. Power Pistol is looking promising here also.

There are lots of differant powders avaiable at this time. You have to use what works best for you. Lots of people like VV, I don't. Alliant is my favorite followed closely by Hogdon.
Old January 29, 2006, 12:10 AM   #22
Acegoesbang

well dodge. h110,296.unique i'd sasy ya got it covered.how ever in just the 44mag with a 300 grain stphollow point the accur #9 is a smoken hot accurate powder with alot of knock down if ya wanteed to try it .
Old January 29, 2006, 08:14 AM   #23
dodge

Thanks everybody. I do have some lil"gun and AA#9 on hand as well but use them for my heavy loads. Looks like Universal Clays will be the powder of choice for my plinking loads. I still have probably 1/3 of a pound of Unique to use up before I buy anymore powder but that won't last very long if the weather will co-operate and the honey-to-do list isn't very long.
Old January 29, 2006, 09:49 PM   #24
JJB2

i use bullseye exclusively for .38 spl and .357 magnum reloads as i like the amount of loads i get with a pound of powder.. do be careful with it though as it's the fastest of the powders.... check your cases to be sure they are not too full and not double charged..... i've use it for many yrs without any problems....

THE SAME DISCLAIMERS APPLY HERE...........................