The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 6, 2002, 11:24 PM   #1
DanP

Quick help with rings on a Ruger M77 please...

Just took my Ruger M77 out of its box (used), it had the factory rings installed.

The rear ring base is somewhat taller than the front ring base.

I cannot install my new leupold sight as the front of it hits the barrel by a few mm and prevents the scope from seating properly in the front ring.

So:

* Can I just swap the front & rear rings (taller up front)? If so will the scope have enough vertical adjustment to compensate?

* Return the scope for a smaller one (I'd hate this).

* Buy a bigger rifle and a smaller scope (I'd prefer not to quite yet, but if I must to make these two parts match at the risk of ending up with not one but two rifles...)
Old June 6, 2002, 11:41 PM   #2
DanP

Ok, cr*p, reality check, I just tried reversing rings...

The scope is silly high beyond adjusting, I suppose I could hit the moon by aiming straight.

So next choice: I really like this scope, would it be possible to buy aftermarket rings that would fit my M77 and be just a couple of mm taller?

Would I be compromising something by doing this?

Arrgh, I really wanted to go try this thing this weekend!

Time for Duct tape?!?
Old June 6, 2002, 11:48 PM   #3
BusGunner007

Go to the Ruger site and look around for the rings you will need to get.
I think they have a listing of ring height and scope objective lens diameter that will guide you to the correct set.
I wasn't sure if your model is the M77 or M77 MkII.
Either way, the listing should get you hooked up with the right parts.
Good luck!
Old June 7, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
DanP

Thanks, it is a KM77VT MKII.

So, while I am at it, what is the conventional way of calling this rifle?

An M77?

A MKII?

Just curious.

As an example, it would make no sense to call one of my handguns a "KSP-331X", but saying "SP-101" is enough in most cases.

Thanks!
Old June 7, 2002, 12:08 AM   #5
DanP

Hmm, not sure that this would help, from the Ruger site:

SBA9622 96/22 Scope Mount Base Adapter 4.10
A07000 Mark I & II Scope Mount Base Adapter 21.00
A07001 Mark I & II Scope Mount Base Adapter, Extended 22.00

I'll go check the fine folks at B-Square and Brownells next, but in the meantime if any of you have any rigs please chime in.

(relate to that feeling of new cool toy, but can't play with it for a few days because the batteries will be there next week, etc.?)
Old June 7, 2002, 12:11 AM   #6
BusGunner007

I'd refer to it as a "MkII".
Stick with Ruger rings in this case, I think.
Call 'em tomorrow and ask about getting a pair.
They'll know.
Don'tcha hate waiting? I do.
Old June 7, 2002, 01:53 AM   #7
rugerfreak

Dan---those things you just listed are for Mark II pistols----Look at the rings for the M77---when new-the rifles come with medium rings---so I'm assuming you need high rings---unless the previous owner had put low rings on it----you might do well to take it into a trusted gunshop and let them have a look.

You could also give Ruger a call and they can set you up-----they might even take the old rings in as trade on the new ones----not sure since they are already out of the package.

Don't switch the rings(front to back)--if you take a close look at the receiver--you'll notice that its uneven---so the taller ring levels out the scope------if you switch them and tighten them down good--you'll probably be buying a new scope too.

I think I've seen Ruger factory rings at Cheaper Than Dirt---you might want to check there----they might have a better price and/or get them to you sooner too.
Old June 7, 2002, 03:47 AM   #8
CWL

The first thing you should do is call Ruger customer service and explain your problem.

They'll probably help you swap those rings (as long as in good condition) for something like a $5 or $10 handling/postage fee.

I've done this twice with Ruger rings (although for pistols) and they were very helpful.

Good luck.
Old June 7, 2002, 06:10 AM   #9
Lone Star

Universal carbine: magazine for

My father, who is 83 and wanted a light rifle of little recoil, bought a Universal .30 Carbine. The receiver shows that the maker is in Hialeah, FL. I believe there was a Universal company in Arkansas, too, at one time. The same ?? Quality seems better than I'd have thought, not bad at all, but it seems to have no hold-open device for the bolt.

Anyway, either the dealer failed to give him a magazine or he's lost it. Will GI magazines fit this gun? What about those for Plainfield carbines?

I have no experience with these "off-brand" guns, although I have shot the GI version of the weapons, without being too impressed. For his needs, basically home defense at a time of riot, burglary, etc., I think the gun will serve him well, but obviously, he needs a magazine or two. What's a fair price for one these days, and are the GI 30 round "bannana clips" still legal to sell? Are dealers charging ridiculous prices for them?

Thanks,
Lone Star Sorry: this was meant as a new topic; I'll re-post. Can't delete this post.
Old June 7, 2002, 01:45 PM   #10
DanP

Ordered "High Rings" from Ruger, $66. Lady said they were 1/8" taller, which should be perfect.

Will be here Wed, now I just have to wait... aarrgh!

But it is the best solution, don't want to compromise the rifle or the sight.

Thanks!
Old June 8, 2002, 08:47 AM   #11
MADISON

Quick help with rings on a Ruger M77

From what I understand, Ruger furnishes Medium rings. If what they furnished will not fit your scope, all is not lost.
Contact Ruger...E-Mail or Phone aand give them the front scope lense diameter. They will probablly ask you for $5 [to cover postage]and to return the rings to the factory for EXCHANGE.
Old June 8, 2002, 11:44 AM   #12
TurkeySlayer

I wish I had seen this sooner. I have an M77 and put Leupold mounts on mine. They are made specifically for Ruger's integral mounting base. These mounts use Torx screws and are VERY well made. Much better than factory Ruger mounts IMHO.

They mate nicely with my Leupold scope.

Glock 23 - Glock 19 - S&W 629 Mountain Gun - S&W 442 Centennial - Taurus 689 - Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20" HBAR - Ruger M77 MK II - Marlin 336 - Browning BPS 12 ga. 3 1/2 inch - need lots more!
Old June 8, 2002, 03:46 PM   #13
DanP

Thanks TurkeySlayer, I placed the order Friday after lunch and they told me it would not be processed until Monday anyway...

I'll check out the Leupold ones (I assume their site would list them?) and if it makes sense cancel the Ruger order.

Hmm, and you just brought up a point: I ordered the stainless rings to match my barrel, but then again maybe matte rings that match the scopes would look better?

Just a trivial detail, I know.
Old June 8, 2002, 06:38 PM   #14
CWL

Whatever the appearance, remember that stainless doesn't rust as easily.
Old June 9, 2002, 07:44 AM   #15
TurkeySlayer

The Leupold rings have a matte finish.

I just checked and Cabelas has them for $49.99. That's what I paid. I would recommend giving them a look.

Either way, it will work out. Ruger mounts are still pretty good. I just hate slotted screws. Too easy to goober things up.