The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Rookie21

Houston Texas High Standard Supermatic Trophy

Can anyone tell me what they think of the "New" High Standard Pistols (made in Houston Texas)? Not what you've heard necessarily but what you've experienced? So if you've owned one and have anything to share, good or bad, please do so. Thanks.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:40 AM   #2
saleen322

I have several Houston models and some Hamden models. The Hamden guns are smoother and the Houston guns are more accurate.

Old July 14, 2018, 06:57 AM   #3
rodfac

Geez, I had a Hamden made, Victor back in the late 70's and used it shooting indoor, NRA Bullseye competition. A great gun and every bit as accurate as the two or three S&W M41's that I tried. But the straight grip set me off, and I sold it to buy a Smith 41, then promptly found that I actually shot the Victor better. It didn't have quite the refined trigger that the Smith 41 had, but the grips fit my hand better. That Hi-Standard was one of the few beauties, that got away....

I can't comment on the current crop from the Houston plant, but that Victor had a good fit and finish, not quite as good as the Smith, but in my hands, was more accurate.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Apparently High Standard has folded again. A thread on RFC beginning:

"After 24 years (1994-2018), the Houston (TX) High Standard Manufacturing has closed their doors, cancelling orders & making refunds where appropriate."

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1121106

There seems to be a rump organization under Aaron Arnstein.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:57 AM   #5
saleen322

Quote:
Apparently High Standard has folded again.
I had replied that I had the same info but I just heard that operations were moved to Montana. I can't confirm or deny. I understand the contact is:

High Standard
P O Box 547
Fairfield, MT 59436

Last edited by saleen322; July 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old July 16, 2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Rjussila

High Standard has moved to Montana. They are getting things set up and organized. When that is complete, they will resume taking orders and shipping parts. Stay tuned...
Old July 16, 2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Rjussila

High standard

High Standard has not folded. They just closed the plant in Houston and moved it to Montana. They are getting it setup and organized. When that is all completed, they will start taking orders and shipping parts as well. Be patient and don't believe everything you may hear on RFC.
Alan is stirring quite the pot on RFC. One might ask him why he was terminated at High Standard in the first place. One might also ask how he can use the Interarms Logo, when it is technically owned by High Standard. The folks at High Standard have taken the high road, when it comes to Alan's rants, and not responded. Lots of questions could be asked...

Last edited by Rjussila; July 16, 2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 17, 2018, 08:29 AM   #8
Jim Watson

That is good news.
I hope they have lots of magazine production capacity for us legacy HS owners.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:17 PM   #9
erob3

I own several HS made in both Hamden and E Hartford. I've never handled a current day model but have heard good things. After owning the ones I have I am biased and given the choice would buy an older model before a current model. If you do buy a current model and it is even half the pistol the older models are you will be beyond happy. Good Luck and beware..... they are addicting.
Old August 3, 2018, 12:56 PM   #10
jmstr

I have 5 High Standards from Hamden. I have nothing from the other locations.

My knowledge of the TX made High Standards is that there were a few that slipped through QC and had issues, but that seemed to end around 2008 or so.

The largest issue for ANY High Standard's functioning is properly adjusted magazines.

If the mag in a Hamden gun is not tuned properly, it won't work- and the same will be true of TX guns, or any others.

High Standards are very mag sensitive.

As for 'stirring the pot' at rimfirecentral- well, I do appreciate that representatives of High Standard DO take the high road and stay out of it. And, I have to say that it seems that Alan makes very specific, and seemingly easily verified/disproven, statements.

Pot stirring seems to happen more from other people getting involved and 'running' with it- to fill in gaps or add 'color' to the description of what happened.

Yes- Alan was in charge.
Yes- Alan is no longer in charge.
Yes-Alan has a company named InterarmsTX now
Yes-High Standard continued to run after Alan left.
Yes-High Standard had financial complications [anyone who can't agree that this is true after reading that they are going through bankruptcy restructuring, is just not being honest- or doesn't understand business].

However, was Alan 'run out'? I don't recall him ever saying that.

I have read OTHERS saying that.

Despite the references to RFC, their High Standard subsection probably has the best/most concentrated information about these pistols.

Just take EVERYONE's statements about companies with a grain of salt.
Old August 3, 2018, 01:18 PM   #11
darkgael

I spoke with a High Standard rep at Camp Perry early July. I have a Hamden Victor with the cracks at the rear of the magazine well. I wondered about repair.
He told me to send them the gun. They would probably replace the frame and install new parts where needed.
He did not sound like a rep for a closed company.