The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2016, 07:13 PM   #1
friendlyfred

Wilkinson Arms

Wilkinson Arms, maker of the "Linda" and other sweet carbines is back in business. First day with new web. I just got some magazines. Only 31rd mags are shown on the web site, but Patrick also has 18rd mags. He will be coming up with bbls and stocks shortly.
I copy his post here:
I realize this is an old thread but since it's the first thing to pop up when you search on Google, I figured it'd be a good place to let everyone know that parts, magazines, accessories, and soon carbines can be ordered from www.wilkinsonarms.com

We can be reached via email at [email protected] or by phone at 208-495-4958"

Mags have been non-existent till now. Browning mags could be modified, but were not reliable.
FYI. I have no financial interest here.
Old August 14, 2016, 12:29 PM   #2
wilkinsonarms

Thanks Fred, appreciate the thread!
Old August 14, 2016, 03:45 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Comical run around the no sales/commercial post restriction.

Are the mags compatible with anything else? I'm guessing not as the brownings must be modified.

I highly recommend you do some design changes to make it compatible with something else. Even the Uzi/sten/surplus magazine carbines are fading away in favor of carbines compatible with common service pistols. A modified Hipower magazine just doesn't excite me personally when there are so many options that take commonly available Glock 18 32 round mags and others.

When I look at the receiver/frame I think Hipoint. Your previous, now deleted by mods I assume, post indicated it would be in the price range of other 9mm carbines. They run from about $300 for the hipoint to $1500 for a Kriss. Can you tighten that range any?
Old August 15, 2016, 09:07 AM   #4
wilkinsonarms

Quote:
Comical run around the no sales/commercial post restriction.

Are the mags compatible with anything else? I'm guessing not as the brownings must be modified.

I highly recommend you do some design changes to make it compatible with something else. Even the Uzi/sten/surplus magazine carbines are fading away in favor of carbines compatible with common service pistols. A modified Hipower magazine just doesn't excite me personally when there are so many options that take commonly available Glock 18 32 round mags and others.

When I look at the receiver/frame I think Hipoint. Your previous, now deleted by mods I assume, post indicated it would be in the price range of other 9mm carbines. They run from about $300 for the hipoint to $1500 for a Kriss. Can you tighten that range any?
First I should note that I did not ask Fred to start this thread and at the time was unaware that my original thread violated the forum rules. I apologize for that.

The magazines are proprietary and I have a large supply of them with the tooling necessary to make more. The costs associated with redesigning and then producing new grip frames along with lost revenue from magazine sales make a redesign very expensive.

The receiver and grip frame bear little resemblance to a Hi-Point. The hi-point receiver is stamped steel and Zamak 3 while the grip frame is a 2 piece clamshell plastic. The Linda's receiver is made of an aircraft aluminum extrusion and the grip is alloy as well. It feels extremely solid in your hand and pulling the bolt back feels almost hydraulic.

As for the price, it will be closer to Uzi, Just Right Carbine, MPA930dmg pricing at around the $800 Mark for the base model. There are cheaper options and more expensive options.

Last edited by wilkinsonarms; August 15, 2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old August 15, 2016, 09:29 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

MPA930DMG UZI uses Glock mags

Just Right Carbine uses Glock mags or M&P

Beretta CX4 uses mags from the various full size Beretta pistols

IWI does what IWI does. They have heavy subsidies on the design side from IMI/MOD's research, I am quite certain they have commercial production weapons ending up places they aren't supposed to by international law, and I'm not sure the people controlling the company have making a profit in mind. They may continue to make regular Uzis even if almost no one in the US market buys them.

Quote:
The receiver and grip frame bear little resemblance to a Hi-Point.
Old Hipoint carbine
Hipoint without the funky cover
You don't see a resemblance? The hipoint does have some ergonmic contouring and the receiver cover with the funky hump out front.

Is the action direct blowback?

Quote:
lots revenue from magazine sales
I assume that was a typo for lost instead of lots.
People only buy magazines for rifles they own. Lots of companies tried the 9mm carbine thing with proprietary magazines. Selling magazines can be a big profit turner. Not many have succeeded. Hipoint has most certainly limited their market share with their refusal to use other magazines. Their refusal to do so is admittedly not based on financial forecasts. Likewise their refusal to make double stacks.
I'm not real fond of the JRC design, but they have made it because they realized if they made a functional companion carbine with compatible mags people would buy it. Mags cause a lot of manufacturers problems and letting someone else handle that part seems like a good idea for a small operation. Had JRC used proprietary mags I am quite certain they would have failed.

What were the previous production numbers for the Linda carbine?

Ignorantia juris non excusat.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; August 15, 2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old August 15, 2016, 09:39 PM   #6
wilkinsonarms

So Johnwilliamson062, how many should I put you down for pre-ordering?
Old August 15, 2016, 10:01 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

http://www.northwestarms-le3.com

An LE-3 model that takes Glock 19 mags? At a reasonable price in the ballpark of a JRC I might be interested.

I don't think CZ or anyone else has made a carbine compatible with their pistol mags.
I don't think there is a commonly available carbine that takes unmodified Hipower mags either. Since you are modifying them to get yours it might be a place to start. I have no idea how many new Hipowers are being sold or how many old hipowers spend much time outside safes. Both would likely be decent markets if there is no competition.

Hey, for all I know the linda sold 3,000,000 copies all of which are without magazines now that it has been out of production for a couple years and you payed pennies on the dollar for the whole things, so you can sell enough mags to pay the thing off and tinker with what you have left because you are actually a multi-billionaire retired tech start-up guy who just had to get away from Silicon Valley.

When your first post is promoting a product I feel free to mercilessly critique it.
Old August 15, 2016, 10:49 PM   #8
wilkinsonarms

I don't own a hi-power but if I get my hands on one I'll see if the Linda mags will fit.
Old August 17, 2016, 10:51 AM   #9
friendlyfred

A little ticked off

I thought this forum was to help each other out.
Johnwilliamson62, I take great offense to your comment:
"Comical run around the no sales/commercial post restriction."
I tried to trace down mags for my "Linda" on another thread, here, over a year ago.
Suggestions were made including Numrich..is THAT sales too?
If trying to help out other owners is a crime, then I plead guilty.
An apology is in order.
Fred

Last edited by friendlyfred; August 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old August 17, 2016, 11:16 AM   #10
wilkinsonarms

Fred, your magazines should be arriving tomorrow!
Old August 29, 2016, 01:09 AM   #11
friendlyfred

Magazines

New 31 & 18 round magazines work perfectly.
Old August 29, 2016, 10:19 AM   #12
wilkinsonarms

Glad you're happy with your order Fred. When you get that stock mounted, post up some pictures! Thanks for your patronage.
Old August 29, 2016, 07:42 PM   #13
friendlyfred

Pictures

Trying to post pix of my modified Linda w/foldup stock.
Get error message, no security token..

Stumped...
Old August 29, 2016, 08:53 PM   #14
wilkinsonarms

Just received these pictures from Fred, I think the new stock and 18 round mag looks great. It's screaming to be SBR'd!

Image 1

Image 2
Old September 6, 2016, 10:14 PM   #15
wilkinsonarms

Which type of AR stock would people most like to see on a Linda?
Old September 7, 2016, 01:36 AM   #16
Old Bill Dibble

I am a big fan of the full size fixed wood stocks. A little pricey but look really nice in a modern retro way.
Old September 7, 2016, 08:45 AM   #17
wilkinsonarms

The fixed stock sadly won't really work well with the adapter however I do have fixed wooden sticks like the old Terry came with that I could fit to the Linda's.
Old November 25, 2016, 06:17 PM   #18
wilkinsonarms

10% off all orders with coupon Linda4Less through Monday
Old November 28, 2016, 04:51 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Totally proved me wrong.

Tags
linda , magazines , wilkinson