The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 12, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Three44s

MSNBC Poll On Whether You Would Send Your Kids To School With Armed Teachers

Better vote on this poll:

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/10/ed-sh...rmed-teachers/

You will be surprised when you view results!! (Advantage 2A!!)

Three 44s
Old January 12, 2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Pointshoot

You really have to wonder if all the claims that "the majority of the American people want some kind of 'reasonable gun control' " (as defined by the antis) is completely bogus.

The people have been voting - - - with their wallets. Theyve been buying guns and ammo at record levels.

I hope our side doesn't mistake media hype for the true sentiment of the people.

A few years ago there was a lot of hype about flu vaccines. There were trial balloons put out there that maybe people would even be 'forced' to take the shots. Well, people didnt fall for it. They refused to take the flu shots and later the whole matter was exposed as another fraud. One of many that seem to be more common every day.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
You really have to wonder if all the claims that "the majority of the American people want some kind of 'reasonable gun control' " (as defined by the antis) is completely bogus.

The people have been voting - - - with their wallets. Theyve been buying guns and ammo at record levels.
To know what these record gun purchases really mean to the current situation, more info is needed.

Firstly, are the people buying existing gun owners trying to snap up what they can, or people buying their first firearm?
Then we need to know if they are buying just handguns or the rifles that are at the centre of the debate.
Finally, if second hand sales really are not tracked, then there may be even more gun purchases taking place that go unrecorded and uncollated.

It is worth noting, however, that someone may buy a gun (pistol, shotgun) and yet still be in favour of the proposed limitation on mags and semi-autos.

I don't know where to find that data, but all the above would give a clearer picture of the "lie of the land" in this debate.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
USA SHARK

While more information may be needed to truly understand all of the details, the information that is available is still relative. Sales are up significantly. NRA membership is up significantly (100,000 new members in the last 20 days). Background checks are up significantly (+19% with 2.78M in December).

We may not know all of the details of why it is happening, but we do know that it is happening.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Webleymkv

Well, the fact that black rifles and >10 round magazines are currently about as rare as hen's teeth tells me that the claim that the majority of gun owners support an AWB or hi-cap magazine ban is probably bogus.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James
Firstly, are the people buying existing gun owners trying to snap up what they can, or people buying their first firearm?
It is both. There are people where I work who have never before evinced any interest in guns, who are now scrambling to get their carry license/permit and to find a gun -- any gun they can lay their hands on.

Quote:
Then we need to know if they are buying just handguns or the rifles that are at the centre of the debate.
Everyone is buying everything. The racks of small gunshops are literally empty, and the racks of large gun stores are nearly empty. If there's even a rumor that a shipment may be coming in, there are lines a block long at the door before the shop even opens.

Quote:
Finally, if second hand sales really are not tracked, then there may be even more gun purchases taking place that go unrecorded and uncollated.
There are some face-to-face sales, but despite the fact most handguns and AR-type rifles would sell today for a hefty premium, most who have them aren't selling at any price, because of the uncertainty regarding what might or might not be available down the road.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 14, 2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 12, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
MLeake

Pond, also bear in mind that for years, the best selling firearms in the US have been "assault rifles," and pistols suitable for concealed carry.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
btmj

Just in my office alone, I know of 4 people (3 men, 1 woman) who have decided to buy their first firearm since the Newtown tragedy. All of these people are high paid technical professionals, very well educated, suburban. Because of our profession, we tend to lean towards politically conservative, but of the four people, only one ever indicated he had an interest in firearms.

Guy 1, married father of 4 teens, ethnically Chinese, late 40's this guy has been talking about it for a while, so it was no surprise. He asked me if now was a good time to get an AR-15, and I said, no, a month ago would have been a very good time, but there are huge backorders now. I also told him that an AR-15 is not the best choice for a first firearm. He now has a Ruger 10/22 on backorder, and bought a used Sig 226. He and his wife are taking an "into to handguns class". He promised me he would join the NRA. I told him that I would take him shooting sometime and he could shoot my AR-15 and decide if that is something he would be interested in.

Guy 2, single, early 20's, always seemed very liberal to me. Outspoken Obama supporter. Surprised me by asking my advice on a handgun. Wants to get one before they become banned. Based on his interests, and his hand size (very large), I gave him a list of guns to try. He settled on a used springfield Armory 45 he saw at Cabella's. I also talked him into the same "intro to handgun class". He wants to get his CCW license. Is considering joining the NRA, and I will give him [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] until he does.

Guy 3, divorced late 50's, ex-Army (1970's), told me in passing that he bought a Remington 870 for home defense around Christmas time. I talked to him about ammo and told him to ditch the #6 bird shot he bought, and get some buckshot. I mentioned the NRA, but I know he is too stingy to join.

Woman 1, early 40's, she grew up in Peurto Rico and is married to a doctor. Her husband is luke-warm on the idea of a firearm, but she is adamant that she wants a handgun and she wants to go through the CCW process. I think something scared her recently because she became very interested all of the sudden. She made an impulse buy of a Glock 21, and the gunstore salesmen needs to be kicked in the rear because her hands are too small for the big Glock. She will be trading it in soon on something else, and I steered her towards a 1911 if she likes 45. I also pointed her towards Kathy Jackson;s website, and told her that she would probably need to buy a smaller handgun if she was going to carry concealed. She has already joined the NRA.

I know this is all very anecdotal, but I have advised maybe 3 people in 10 years on a gun purchase, and now 4 people in 5 weeks... Wow.

Last edited by btmj; January 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:24 AM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

I have also been very surprised by my Los Angeles friend's responses to firearms. Don't want to go into detail, but the amount of negative feedback on the ability and right to owning an AR is something they're okay with. (Semi-auto mostly mind you)
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 14, 2013, 01:34 PM   #10
bikerbill

Just voted ... 73-26 for the yes column ...
Old January 14, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Tucker 1371

Vote in. Yall know it doesn't matter what this poll ends up at right? It's going to come out saying majority "Yes" and MSNBC will look at it and sy to themselves "well that's not the results we wanted" and they'll stuff it away and forget about it and never broadcast anything about the American people being in favor of armed teachers because it will strengthen the pro gun cause.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 14, 2013, 02:56 PM   #12
BGutzman

We already have overbearing gun control, we left reasonable a long time ago.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:19 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for the link. I voted.

Quote:
Yes 73.71% (8,331 votes)

No 26.29% (2,971 votes)

Total Votes: 11,302
Old January 14, 2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Side note.

Thanks to those who answered my questions/points earlier in this thread.

Back on topic!!
Old January 14, 2013, 03:52 PM   #15
sigcurious

Coincidentally(?) MSNBC also ran this article, pointing out that in many jurisdictions written permission can be given for teachers to carry under current laws, while questioning the passage of laws that would explicitly allow teachers to carry. The implication being that teachers simply aren't getting permission, rather than the more likely truth, even if they asked they would be denied.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:05 PM   #16
spacecoast

I'm really looking forward to Ed discussing the voting results on his show, but not holding my breath.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:15 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
While more information may be needed to truly understand all of the details, the information that is available is still relative. Sales are up significantly. NRA membership is up significantly (100,000 new members in the last 20 days). Background checks are up significantly (+19% with 2.78M in December).

We may not know all of the details of why it is happening, but we do know that it is happening.
Today, I saw two articles citing NRA membership increasing by 275,000 since December 15th. However, I haven't been able to find a credible source for the number (only the NRA's own "100,000+" figure).

It sounds right, but I haven't been able to verify...