The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2018, 08:43 AM   #1
craddleshooter

Beretta PX4 Compact Feeding issues

I have a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm, and I have used rem-oil for the last 2 years. Recently, I started to get A LOT of mis-feeds, and after a good amount of research, I think my problem was inadequate lube (or using Rem-oil...not a lot of fans in this forum)...

I've also noticed significant scratching on the barrel,cam and sliding lug/block since i've had the gun, which does indicate a good amount of wear and movement.

The last time I cleaned the gun, i decided to use 'Shooters Choice High-Tech Grease' on the sliding lug, cam and the slide - and I had no issues.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Do you use gun grease on these rotating components opposed to oil. If you use oil, do you stick with the 'dry' lube?

Thank you for any insight.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:36 AM   #2
TunnelRat

I usually only use grease on internal parts as I don't want to attract dust and dirt. Usually I use Slip 2000 on barrels that tilt or rotate.

What does the manual say to use?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2018, 11:12 AM   #3
mete

What are the Beretta recommendations ? Is that the one with the rotating barrel ? They may require a heavier lube
Old July 23, 2018, 02:00 PM   #4
UncleEd

Generally and in my experience,
Rem Oil is great for revolvers.
A few squirts into the hammer
well and around the cylinder and
you're good to go for a long
time.

The Glock is also a "minimalist"
firearm when it comes to oil/grease.

But for guns like the Storm, Beretta
92, Sig 226, 1911 etc. then a light grease
is better. I usually use Wilson's
grease; it's a bit runny but works
great. I still use the Rem Oil
for around the safeties, the hammer
struts, a few small spring areas.
Old July 23, 2018, 02:07 PM   #5
TailGator

I'm one of those who is not a fan of RemOil - it seems too thin to me. Berettas in general like to run wet (thoroughly but lightly lubricated), and the rotation mechanism of the PX4 needs some lube. Mine has had some problems when I didn't keep it lubricated like I should have. My personal favorite is WeaponShield, but anything with enough viscosity to stick around a while would be OK. I have used grease in the rotation cam of the PX4, but didn't feel like it worked better than WeaponShield oil.
Old July 23, 2018, 02:46 PM   #6
UncleEd

Rem Oil is thin and runny, which is exactly
why it's been perfect for revolvers, which
actually can run dry under normal use.
But Rem Oil gets all around inside a revolver
without any buildup of goop.
Old July 23, 2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Kvon2

I like remoil wipes for a finishing touch on the outside of my firearms but I never use it as actual lubricant. Often times I'll actually put another lube on the wipe and use that. Wetter is better in my experience.
Old July 23, 2018, 03:59 PM   #8
UncleEd

. Can't resist, Kvon2, but go to the beach
and go swimming. Immediately afterward
while all wet, lie down on the sand. Then
tell me wetter is better.
Old July 23, 2018, 06:02 PM   #9
603Country

I use a gun grease on my full-size PX4. I was shooting it the other day and had a few jams. On purpose I had shot hundreds of rounds through it without cleaning or oiling it, just to see when it would jam up. It finally did. I gave it a thorough cleaning and used gun grease on sliding and rotating surfaces and then shot it some more with no issues.
Old July 26, 2018, 06:19 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

I am only familiar with the full-sized PX4 but the principles should be the same. First, the PX4 likes to be well-oiled. You could probably use some grease on the rotating barrel system but I've stuck with Beretta's recommendation to use oil. I only use grease on the slide, just like any other semi-auto. I usually do at least a basic clean and lube after every shooting. Maybe once a year or so, I do a more thorough job, check out the magazines, etc.

I read the following article a few years back and it was very helpful. I only recently switched to the non-toxic Lubriplate discussed therein. A company called Lubrikit now sells it in convenient sizes. So far, so good.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/