The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 2, 2018, 10:08 PM   #1
xandi

Alice gear? Still used

Any one out there still using Alice web gear?
Old July 3, 2018, 12:01 AM   #2
Model12Win

It's used to a limited extent in the Air Force from what I've seen. Mostly web belts though and only for training. I have not seen full suspender load outs or anything like that. I think it's really only used for the canteens and for training stuff, not in combat. That's what I've seen anyway.
Old July 3, 2018, 03:01 AM   #3
bamaranger

web gear

It's been a while,(2003?) since I went on a real big wildfire, but at that time, the standard, issued US Gov't firefighting web gear, (yellow gear) that held water bottles and your fire shelter, used ALICE clips. The belt was not ALICE, lightly padded, and far more practical and comfortable, The , suspenders and daypack attached with nylon FASTEK buckles and were good bit different and more comfortable than GI ALICE gear too.

I retired last of 2014, and my yellow gear was still my issue fire rig. I also took a yellow rig and used the belt, suspenders and pouches to carry boundary marking supplies, hatchet/hammer, nails, signs and spray paint cans. We had to mark so many miles of park boundary a year.

At home, I use a GI web belt to hold a 1911 flap holster, canteen cover and GI canteen, and a bandage pouch to hold .22 ammo, and a Ruger std model .22 pistol with 4" barrel rides in the GI holster nicely. I used the same GI belt to carry a Kabar or Glock field knife, GI canteen, and a import, surplus canvas utility pouch when wading for trout, but have since found a more comfortable belt.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:57 AM   #4
MTT TL

The pistol belt never really went away or changed much. The packs are still around and still made new by a number of makers.

I know of no US military or police agencies that use the old suspenders or things with ALICE clips. Some ROTC and Civil Air Patrol still use them.
Old July 3, 2018, 01:43 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Have the suspenders hooked onto a repro M1 Rifle belt.
The Air Force, on either side of the border, doesn't use webbing in combat. Daft enough they wear camouflage uniforms.
Old July 3, 2018, 01:49 PM   #6
xandi

So you guys have some experience with it. Awesome
Perhaps you guys can help me out
Was there some sort of belt liner,like a kidney pad for inside of the belt? I is too thin and boney for mine
Old July 3, 2018, 06:16 PM   #7
MTT TL

Not that I can recall.

The Ruck sack had a Kidney pad.

The belt was designed to go above the top of BDU pants around the bottom fringe of a BDU blouse.

Old July 3, 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
xandi

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Found it
Old July 3, 2018, 08:07 PM   #9
MTT TL

That was not a military issue item for wear with the pistol belt. If it works for you that would be awesome.