The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 12, 2018, 02:35 PM   #1
ConRich

Seating the Conical ?

Where can I buy a jag type seating tip that is shaped to fit and seat a conical bullet without damaging the nose. All I can find is the type for RBs.

TIA,
Rich
Old March 12, 2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Pahoo

CVA for one

Quote:
Where can I buy a jag type seating tip that is shaped to fit and seat a conical bullet without damaging the nose
Darn good question and the one that comes to mind, is the CVA. ....
The one I have, is starter with removable jags. Depending on your projectile you will find one that will fit. As you have noted, a good fit is very important. They also make a jag/tip, for ballistic-tip projectiles...

I will try and find you a cat number ....
https://cva.com/product/hollow-point-bullet-starter/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CVA-Univers...8AAOSwY~laM2Uk

Be Safe !!!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 12, 2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Jakeway

If you mean a tip to put on a loading ramrod for rifles, I bought mine at WalMart. I use it to load Hornady Flex-Tipped SST hunting bullets in my in-line.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

With some projectiles such seating jags are included in the products packaging. Those soft lead sabo projectiles I purchase from PR Bullets include such seating jags. Although made of plastic PR's jag seems to hold up well for the total amount ~~packaged.

You could drill a 50 cal P/ball jag deep enough to accommodate your bullets seating. By your drilling its nose depression deeper. Then fill the drilled cavity with JB weld.

A must do prior: Lube the bullets entire exterior. Especially paying attention to the bullets nose surface that will assuredly come in contact with the un-dried glue. (White grease or a silicone grease lubricant work very well for that purpose.)

Press bullet nose square & plum so to be near its bottomed-out in the newly drilled cavity thus your intention is to imprint the drying glue with your bullets nose. Only difficulty incurred is maintaining the bullet pressure and stability till the J-B dries.
Easy peasy C-clamp {controlled pressing} or bench vise would be my choice to do the job. Honestly.
Doing works. I've done the same to a couple long discontinued Ideal mold casts I happen to come into possession of via. (EBay auctions)
Old March 13, 2018, 01:17 AM   #5
FrontierGander

What conical are you shooting?
Old March 13, 2018, 09:44 AM   #6
ConRich

The bullet that I would like to use is the Lee .45 cal. R.E.A.L. type.

Rich
Old March 13, 2018, 10:32 AM   #7
FrontierGander

Oh okay you can use one of the attachments for a barnes bullet or even the hornady bullet.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:27 PM   #8
ConRich

I did check out the Hornady ram rod tips, but none of them match the profile of the Lee REAL bullet. It looks like I will have to fire up my lathe and make one.

As popular as these R.E.A.L. bullets are, I'm surprised that no one is making a ramrod tip for this type bullet.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Rich
Old March 13, 2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Pahoo

There are conicals and then there are conicals

Quote:
I'm surprised that no one is making a ramrod tip for this type bullet.
Don't give up so soon. When I shot both of the REAL conicals, I used a tip similar to this one and it worked very well or at least never noticed any lack of performance. See if it helps or contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

https://cva.com/product/universal-ramrod-loading-tip/

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2018, 02:08 PM   #10
ConRich

That looks like it'll work, or could be made to work, I'll put that on my list of things to order.

Thank you.
Rich
Old March 13, 2018, 02:14 PM   #11
FrontierGander

reals are not a popular bullet by a long shot. They are all hand cast and not a production bullet. Not many like them due to their design and lack of accuracy from one gun to the next. I by chance got lucky with them and find them accurate in my rifle
Old March 14, 2018, 11:53 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

The point on a BP bullet doesn't matter any more than the point on any other bullet. Only the base matters.