The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2021, 11:58 PM   #1
Polinese

New Model Blackhawk bisley hammer

I have a stainless new model blackhawk in 357. I'd like to have the bisley hammer installed, I understand it'll need to be fitted/have the hump grinded off. Do I need any other parts?
Old December 25, 2021, 11:35 PM   #2
Blue Duck

No, I don't think you do. I have never went that direction on swapping them out, but I once had a Ruger Bisley 44 mag, and I did not like the Bisley hammer, so replaced it with a regular Super Blackhawk hammer and it was a clean swap out without issues. The only thing is there was a little gap if I remember correctly behind the new hammer in the frame, but it was not a problem.

I didn't like the Bisley hammer because it rolled down a lot closer to the backstrap when cocked and under fast shooting, my shooting hand would slip up just enough that I couldn't cock the hammer with my off thumb without having to reposition my shooting grip. The taller regular Super Blackhawk hammer solved this problem.

I feel sure you will need to relieve the frame or grind the hump on the Bisley hammer to install, but I have never tried it.
Old December 26, 2021, 01:31 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

The Ruger Bisley hammer will not fit in the Ruger Blackhawk grip frame.

One or the other will have to have metal removed to create the clearance needed. I've seen it done. No other parts were needed.
Old December 26, 2021, 11:36 PM   #4
Polinese

Gotcha, thanks guys. Yeah I knew the "hump" would have to be ground off the hammer from other forum posts I'd seen just had never seen listed if other parts were needed. I have small hands so I have trouble with the stock hammer and thought the bisley would be easier for my wittle thumb to reach.
Old December 27, 2021, 02:07 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

My friend who did it also had small hands (or as he said, short fingers) he got an aftermarket bird's head grip frame, and had to cut it to fit the Bisley hammer he wanted.

For him, enlarging the opening in the grip frame was easier than grinding down the Bisley hammer. No other parts were changed or used, and the gun worked fine.

I thought he was off his rocker, but he liked it, up until he discovered it was painful to shoot when he got up to about 3/4 full house .44 Mag loads... (which I warned him about but don't listen to me,,,noo...)

Should be no trouble at all in your .357, once you get it fitted.
Old December 27, 2021, 09:47 PM   #6
Polinese

Awesome thanks for that tidbit. Helped convince me it's the way to go.