The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 30, 2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Nube

Ruger American Predator

Ok this is from a Nube as you can tell from my "name", I just bought a Ruger Predator in 223 and don't really like the "Walmart" stock. I have been lurking here for a while and think there is a wealth of info here, so I'm asking the masses for suggestions for a aftermarket stock. I have been in contact with Boyds and they said that their stocks only work with a rotary magazine where as the new predators use A1 mags. The research I have done has resulted in a blank search. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old December 30, 2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Don Fischer

I don't like any plastic stock but, what is it you don't like about the stock? Other than I think it's ugly and good rifle's deserve wood stocks.
Old December 30, 2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Nube

When I got the rifle the stock was against the barrel so I sanded it till I had clearance all around and yes it is uugly and the research that I have done says that the plastic stocks are not as rigid as they should be. The fact that it was against the barrel just turned me against the stock, but I might just have to live with it for a while? Thanks for the reply.
Old December 30, 2018, 02:12 PM   #4
RC20

Boyds will come out with a new stock for it, you might ask them for a timeline and which one first.

I really like their Laminated line. Composite and good looking.
Old December 30, 2018, 02:56 PM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Nube, Boyds has a special wish list (call it what you will) you can add your rifle to it and when they get enough call for it they will make a stock to fit, you may even get lucky and they will call and ask to use your rifle as a pattern. They did that for me about 5 yrs ago, I put my Tikka t3 lite on the wish list since they didnt make a stock for it yet. A few months after I posted to them they called me on the phone and asked to use my rifle as a pattern and they would give me a stock. Shipped them my rifle and about 90 days later I got my rifle back in original condition and a new thumbhole stock..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_252 (1).jpg (57.3 KB, 29 views)
Old December 30, 2018, 08:10 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
I just bought a Ruger Predator in 223 and don't really like the "Walmart" stock.
You bought a Walmart rifle and the stock functions just fine. You have a $400 disposable rifle that will out shoot most $600 rifles. If you spend $150-$200 on a replacement stock you still have a $400 disposable rifle that doesn't shoot any better than before. If I wanted to invest $600 in a rifle, I'd have just bought a better $600 rifle to start with.

The unique bedding system of the Ruger American rifles does not need a stiff stock the way other bedding systems do. As long as you remove enough stock material to prevent it from touching the barrel it will shoot just fine. Changing the stock can only make it worse.

And don't think I'm knocking the Ruger Americans. I now have 4 of them, but I wouldn't spend a dime on them other than for good optics. If I want a "nice" rifle I have some of those too.

Winston Churchill
Old December 30, 2018, 10:15 PM   #7
jaysouth

When you get good enough to shoot the Ruger past it's inherent accuracy envelope, call Cooper and spec out a custom job from them. It will be big bucks but you will have plenty of time saving up for it. It will take you a long time to outshoot the Ruger and it's plastic stock.
Old December 30, 2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Between me and my shooting partner we have 7 Ruger Americans in a bunch of calibers.

ALL needed to have the barrel channel dremeled out to provide clearance for the barrel to free float. Not hard, just grind out what touches. After that they are damn accurate
Old December 31, 2018, 03:41 AM   #9
Rob96

And then you have the fact that some barrels like the contact.
Old December 31, 2018, 04:30 AM   #10
Old Stony

You won't be gaining anything by replacing the stock with a wood one. They shoot very good just as they are and they are rugged. I carry one in my truck almost every day, and I don't have to worry about dinging up anything...and it will shoot groups that will compare with some very high dollar rifles.
Old December 31, 2018, 04:32 AM   #11
TruthTellers

Magpul makes a stock for the Ruger American and the Magpuls are set up to work with Accuracy International mags and may work with AR mag compatible American's too.

Stock will be costly, but I'd contact Magpul and see if they have anything that would be what you're looking for. Also, their stocks are available in a few different colors, FDE is one of them.
Old December 31, 2018, 07:26 AM   #12
SBH

I have the RAR Predator in 223, it is a nice gun. Before attacking anything with a sanding block or dremel loosen the action screws adjust the barrel to stock position and torque the bolts. That may solve the problem. Mine was fine. I did have mine cut and crowned at 18", much better balance.
Old December 31, 2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Nube

Thanks to all who replied:
Old December 31, 2018, 07:56 AM   #14
Bfglowkey

I had the Rotary style Predator in 6mm and put it in a Boyds stock....it is one of the best hunting rifles I have ever owned. It handles well in the field, shoots amazing and paired with a Nikon Black FX1000 4x16 does well as a target or meat harvester.
As is you just have to polish the rough edges left by Rueger which are the result of keeping costs low...but where it counts...it will serve you well for a long time.
Old December 31, 2018, 11:40 PM   #15
Colorado Redneck

Some of us like to pimp up our rifles. To me, it personalizes the gun. Some don't like laminate wood. Some of us like it. Some don't like thumbhole stocks. I really like them. This is a personal decision, and the only opinion that matters is yours. So, with that, here's my opinion.

I have two varmint rifles and two hunting rifles. Three of the are wearing laminate thumbhole stocks. If people don't care for my rifles, they can look the other direction.
Old January 2, 2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Nube

^^ This is what I thought but thought I would ask the ? anyway. Thought it would look a LOT better with a different stock and not have to spend a lot of $$ for it. Ya I know it will shoot better than I can, but I still like to put my "mark" on almost everything I own. I thank all for the replies.
Old January 3, 2019, 06:50 PM   #17
SJCbklyn

To me they are like the savage axis ll which I have owned a few. Leave them be and they shoot fine. They are rugged and accurate enough as is. If you were looking for a gun that puts 5 in 1 you should have kept looking. Dropping money into a budget rifle never made sense to me but that’s just my .02
Enjoy the gun for what it is.
Old January 3, 2019, 09:31 PM   #18
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
You bought a Walmart rifle and the stock functions just fine. You have a $400 disposable rifle that will out shoot most $600 rifles. If you spend $150-$200 on a replacement stock you still have a $400 disposable rifle that doesn't shoot any better than before. If I wanted to invest $600 in a rifle, I'd have just bought a better $600 rifle to start with.

The unique bedding system of the Ruger American rifles does not need a stiff stock the way other bedding systems do. As long as you remove enough stock material to prevent it from touching the barrel it will shoot just fine. Changing the stock can only make it worse.

And don't think I'm knocking the Ruger Americans. I now have 4 of them, but I wouldn't spend a dime on them other than for good optics. If I want a "nice" rifle I have some of those too.