The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2013, 11:29 PM   #126
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If their is no round in the chamber it is impossible to have a N/D guns don't shoot without bullets.
And if there is no gas in the tank it is impossible to have a wreck. Cars can't be driven without gas.

But, of course, the true utility of both guns and cars depends on them being properly stoked before the actual need arises.
Old July 16, 2013, 06:09 PM   #127
Chad.C

I wouldn't keep a round in the chamber just to be safe
Old July 16, 2013, 07:04 PM   #128
iraiam

I keep a handgun loaded and stored in a holster with the safety on, when I leave the house it goes in the safe as-is. when I get back it comes back out of the safe and remains loaded.

I don't play with my guns and take this stuff very seriously, the only reason that pistol will ever come out of the holster is to load/unload it or to discharge it with purpose.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 17, 2013, 06:27 AM   #129
skoro

Should you keep a round in the chamber in a house gun?

I keep all 6 chambers loaded in my house gun(s).
Old July 17, 2013, 07:42 AM   #130
seeker_two

When I owned a 1911 for competition, it was also used as a HD gun. At home, I kept it in Condition 2. This allowed me to deploy it with one hand when needed, but it kept the mainspring at rest....eliminating the risk of a ND while stored in the safe. When I get another 1911, I'll likely do the same again.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:16 AM   #131
warrior poet

Pistols are kept condition one. I use them for a back up (or to fight to a better weapon) so they NEED to be ready to go in a moment's notice. My shotgun- what I consider THE 'home defense gun,' is stored condition three. The sound of the rack is the UNIVERSAL way to say, "You are somewhere you don't belong!" or "You are doing something you shouldn't be doing." It all depends on which 'dialect' of intruder you have.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:42 AM   #132
Patriot86

In general I have about half of my handguns in ready condition, round in the chamber, safety(if applicable) on, loaded mag inserter. The other half are in "storage" totally unloaded. By my bedside I keep a P226 as a night stand gun and a PPQ in a handgun safe under my night stand as a backup.

I also have at least 3 loaded magazines for any given handgun at all times. Usually 10 magazines for my rifle. Oddly enough, I don't like keeping my rifles with a round in the chamber though.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:43 AM   #133
csmsss

The best way to be safe is to leave the ammunition at the gun store/Walmart - and just go get it when you need it. Yes, I'm sure the home invader will be happy to cool his heels on your comfy sofa while you're out.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:46 AM   #134
csmsss

Quote:
The sound of the rack is the UNIVERSAL way to say, "You are somewhere you don't belong!" or "You are doing something you shouldn't be doing." It all depends on which 'dialect' of intruder you have.
It's also the UNIVERSAL way to say "Oops. I don't have all the shells in this firearm that it could actually hold. I deliberately have one less round in it than I could otherwise have."

It also says..."Here I am!" - I for one don't necessarily want to be forced to advertise my presence to an adversary.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:49 AM   #135
Patriot86

I am with you on this CS

Its akin to the "the sound of the shotgun pump will frighten them off argument". It might frighten them off, or they might just open fire through the wall.

If someone has invaded my home, they are not going to get a verbal or non verbal audio warning, the only warning they were given is my locked doors and windows which they chose to ignore.
The first warning is going to be my streamlight identifying them and then a very bright muzzle flash.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:18 AM   #136
Glenn E. Meyer

It is also a way to screw up the rack under stress. That is seen in shotgun classes and simulations with enough frequency to worry about it.

Thus, you disable your primary gun and have fumble around in the fog of the night.

There are excellent analyses of the shotgun as superweapon, super sound effect clichés out there.

Yes, I have one and trained with it. Thus, it isn't my first night time choice.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:36 AM   #137
warrior poet

I understand the argument for locked and loaded. My pistols are kept this way without exception. However, if you notice by my location, I move... a LOT. I am not generally aware of local or state laws from one place to the next. For civil reasons, and unfortunately, my own ignorance of the applicable laws, I prefer (whenever possible) to NOT have to shoot anyone. By nature of having firearms, I can not reside in the barracks (single, not married, so don't argue about having weapons in housing, thank you.) and live off base, on my own dime, I might add.
If surprised, my pistol becomes my home defense weapon. I thought that was clear. If not surprised, the shotgun serves. Yes, it has limitations. Everything does. I would very much prefer to drop any bad guy that I meet, but reality sets in. Unlike most folks, I ROUTINELY face 'double jeopardy,' as I can be charged both on and off base for the same action. Thus, I would rather not put myself in that position. I hope that clears it up a bit.

P.S. I was being 'humorous' in the 'dialect' notion with the shotgun. Sorry if you don't like my humor.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:23 AM   #138
csmsss

Quote:
P.S. I was being 'humorous' in the 'dialect' notion with the shotgun. Sorry if you don't like my humor.
I have no problem with humor. IRL I have quite a filthy sense of humor. But I disagree with you on a tactical perspective.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:29 AM   #139
Don P

Hell yeh. Last thing I want to have to do/think about when/if the door gets kicked in
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 17, 2013, 01:23 PM   #140
warrior poet

That's why I do it the way I do; I don't have to think. With a threat where I have to react immediately, there is the pistol. Muscle memory and training kick in and away we go, civilian (and military) law be damned, I am staying alive. I would rather be judged by 1, 3, 6, or 12 (and maybe others in different states) by military and civilian law, than die.
But, if I am fully up and alert (with all the time in the world) racking the slide and hoping they run is (unfortunately) my best bet to stay out of Leavenworth. An overzealous DA (or commander, and yes, they exist) could easily argue that I did not follow local laws (DoD personnel are required to, after all) and boom, I am now 'the bad guy.'
State laws (the ones I have to live with when living off base) vary from place to place, and rather than try a 'castle defense' in a state that doesn't have it, this is my (sadly) best option.

Tactically, locked and loaded is ALWAYS the way to go, IMHO. Unfortunately, I have to consider what happens next, after I decide to employ a weapon (in any manner) and ignorance of the law is not a defense.
Old July 17, 2013, 01:50 PM   #141
P5 Guy

Quote:
It also says..."Here I am!" - I for one don't necessarily want to be forced to advertise my presence to an adversary.
They only sound, hopefully, I make is the faint snick of the safety going to FIRE.
Old July 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #142
Joespapa

Should you keep a round in the chamber in a house gun?

Ah....the venerable 1911....greatest "fighting pistol" the world has ever known.....and THE worst weapon for inexperienced civilian self-defense!

JMT
Old July 17, 2013, 03:35 PM   #143
Glenn E. Meyer

I think this has run its course for useful info.

Closed.