The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 1, 2012, 07:57 PM   #26
ltc444

The idea about a rest is a good suggestion. Only after you have corrected your problems should you attempt to address a gun issue.

On the other hand I had a Colt Trooper which shot "off" for me. Others who tried the pistol had no problem holding in the 10 ring. After years of work with the weapon I sold it and got a DW Pistol pack in 1980. No problems with the DW and am still shooting it.

Some weapons are not right for a particular shooter. In those cases no corrections can be made and a different weapon should be acquired.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:56 PM   #27
TheRaskalKing

If you're shooting left you may be using too little trigger finger. When I started I always heard guys talk about just using the tip of your finger, so I literally used just the very very tip of my finger, to the point where it was pushing the gun left as I pulled the trigger. My buddy at the LGS corrected me on this one. Make sure you're using the pad of your finger, as Todd Jarrett recommends. I don't shoot left any more. YMMV.

As far as shooting low, $10.00 says you're flinching/anticipating the recoil at least in some measure. That's probably what I struggle most with when I shoot. I have to consciously think slow, steady, straight back trigger pull as I shoot. This helps me get the "surprise" that people often talk about. Get some snap caps and spend time practicing dry firing. Somebody mentioned this earlier I think, but IT WORKS: put a quarter on the front sight or the slide and pull the trigger. The coin shouldn't fall off.

Again, YMMV. I used to shoot low and left like it was my job, and these have really helped me.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:54 PM   #28
Old_Crow

When I get bad results from a pistol and I know it's me. I just shoot one of my older guns. It seems like when I pick up the problem child again everything goes better.

With centerfire rifles my problem is always flinching. I just shoot my 10/22 for about a month. Then I go back the rifle I was trying to get used to - things always go better.

Once I lose confidence in a gun there is no need to keep shooting it. I go to my old favorites. There are guns I can't shoot to save my life. I just sell/trade em for something I will shoot and enjoy.