The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 12, 2011, 06:34 PM   #76
C0untZer0

^Right

Either way, if I'm in fear of getting my teeth knocked out I'm dialing 911, whether bullets come out of the end of my firearm or not.
Old December 14, 2011, 07:52 PM   #77
gofast1320

legalities of saps

In different places you can get locked for different things, carrying a knife, carrying a sap, a baton and on and on.
Carry a mini c cell flashlight- I've never heard of anyone being arrested for being afraid of the dark. I used mine to back up some dopers in Amsterdam and it worked great- They "saw the light" so to speak
Old December 15, 2011, 01:52 AM   #78
bamaranger

in AL

illegal here
Old December 21, 2011, 08:52 AM   #79
Ben Towe

Gofast1320, you bring a valid point about the flashlight. Trouble is, if it's hefty enough to be effective it will kill if you aren't careful. A LEO in in my hometown in Kentucky put down an unruly jail inmate one night with one. Unfortunately, he killed him in the process and wound up going to prison. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use one if necessary.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:00 AM   #80
C0untZer0

Looking at the proposed Illinois carry law, there is nothing in there that would allow for black-jacks, saps, batons or any other type of bludgeon.

I suspect Illinois will end up being one of those states where, there will be a permitting process for carrying a firearm, but black-jacks, saps, batons or other type of bludgeons will probably remain illegal.
Old December 26, 2011, 01:56 AM   #81
sigxder

Have to be careful. As others have said I can legally CCW as many pistols as I want. But if I have a blackjack or a knife with a blade over 4" I'm probably going to jail. They are not legal in most places to carry either openly or concealed. A weapon is to protect yourself with. If you get busted for what is considered an unlawful weapon you'll probably lose your CCW and maybe your right to own a gun if it's a felony in your area.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:22 AM   #82
farmerboy

I'n Texas a knife blade cannot be over 5 1/2 inches or it's considered an illegal knife if found on your person
Old December 27, 2011, 11:31 AM   #83
JD Powell

Deadly weapon reciprocity state to state with permits

I live in Kentucky, and am just starting my research into obtaining my CCDW. Per the KY state police website:

What weapons are covered under the CCDW license?

Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
Billy, nightstick, or club.
Blackjack or slapjack.
Nunchaku karate sticks.
Shiriken or death star.
Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

SO, would the states that show reciprocity allow these on my person? Or do I have to abide by the permit laws of whatever state I am driving through?
(I have no interest in carrying anything other than one handgun, and a general purpose knife. Just trying to understand the legal issues)

Last edited by JD Powell; December 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 27, 2011, 04:18 PM   #84
Sleuth

Your CCDW may not contravein the laws of the state you visit.
What does that mean?
If your state lets you carry a firearm into a City Hall, but the state you are visiting does not, you cannot.
California (who I doubt will recognize your permit anyway) makes carry of most of those items a felony.
You really don't want to find out, unless you have a close friend who is a lawyer who will defend you for free!

Last edited by Sleuth; December 27, 2011 at 04:38 PM.