The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2015, 08:07 PM   #101
Auto5

If you're set on a .22, try to find an old High Standard Sentinel in .22 mag.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:36 PM   #102
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Most 22 or 22 mag revolvers do have crappy triggers. Lighten them may or may not work, you are to find the right ammo.

How about a 38 with wad cutters, cowboy loads or something very lightly recoiling? That's easy to do.

Or there are the 32s as there are very lighly recoiling loads. A 32 revolver isn't that common but they do exist.
Totally agree with Glenn.

Guess you could get the .327 Federal magnum which would handle .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R magnum, and .327 (which is about a .38 in power.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.327_Federal_Magnum

If you can find one Ruger makes the SP101 and Smith & Wesson makes the 622 Pro (but I bet it cost a bunch.)

Other makers also manufacture it.

Deaf
Old January 3, 2015, 02:14 AM   #103
Cosmodragoon

A .22 mag can do the job but a lot of people are rightly concerned that it is on the low end of the performance spectrum. I'd heed the point made by Deaf Smith and explore some .32-caliber options.
Old January 5, 2015, 01:18 PM   #104
Frank Ettin
Staff

Okay, The fellow who resurrected this old thread on the first (see post 97) hasn't been back. Time to shut it down.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread

Tags
.22 magnum , caliber , handgun , self-defense