The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 23, 2010, 11:38 PM   #126
Ar15M4

OP, the simplest answer to your question is yes. Always. With the rates of home invasions going up, and up, it only makes sense to do so. You may not have the 10 seconds it takes to get to your glock.

If someone busts in the front door gun drawn, 10 seconds is too long. In fact I would wager to say the 10 seconds is what the BG is hoping for.
Old October 27, 2010, 12:29 PM   #127
myher44

No need I have dogs.
Old October 27, 2010, 01:35 PM   #128
OldMarksman
Staff

For decades, I kept a loaded handgun in a drawer in the bedroom without really thinking much about it.

Someone on here or on THR posed the question about carrying at home; the idea seemed outlandish at first. Someone else asked about whether people keep a gun in each room.

Caused me to think.

Didn't take long at all to realize that, if someone were to break in when I was anywhere other than the bedroom, I would, depending upon the circumstance, either be (1) forced to retreat to the bedroom to get the gun, possibly leaving family members in danger and possibly losing the foot race, or (2) cut off from the weapon. The latter is more likely with our home layout.

I don't like the idea of stashing weapons in multiple locations around the house, so the solution was obvious indeed.
Old October 27, 2010, 01:42 PM   #129
woodguru

All over the house

I have guns all over the house, drawer in the bar near my pool table, bedside, office, family room by my chair. I usually place one in the room where it's inconspicuous but very handy in a low key way. I had hundreds of thousands of dollars in stereo equipment in my living room and substantial cash coming into the house from my stereo business I was operating out of the home. I got out of the stereo business but enough people know I have money coming in and out selling gems, coins, and watches to keep me on high security.

I'm familiarizing myself with a new Ruger Mil Pro .40 so I carry it around the house and lay it down close to where I am. That gives me a chance to get a good feel for it.

When I was actively showing things for sale by appointment out of the home I carried on my person in case I got an iffy customer. I had some problems so the extra degree of security saved me a few times.

We decided the risk exposure of running a high dollar business out of the home wasn't for us so we got out of the stereo business and moved.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:16 PM   #130
pax

OldMarksman,

Beautifully and simply put. Nice work.

pax
Old October 27, 2010, 08:16 PM   #131
Big Tom

I keep my Mossberg Maverick 88 with me where ever I go in my home. I always have it within arms reach weather its bed time or at the computer, or in the kitchen. It is equipped with a 18.5" barrel and I always keep 5 rounds of Remington Nitro Turkey 3" #5 shot in the tube. I don't care if people say you need buck shot! From the front to the back of my house it's about 40 feet. Its all close quarters in a cramped up townhouse which has been broken into in the past. I also keep my Gun inches from where I sleep along with my SOG Fusion Tomahawk, oh how I love that thing! It can be throw, and has a spike, which is able to pierce steel plating, and a blade to cut into skulls!
Old October 31, 2010, 07:04 AM   #132
the blur

Have you given any thought what so ever:

If you were carrying, you might have a dead roommate ??
Old October 31, 2010, 01:15 PM   #133
silentargus

That's the same line of thinking that says folks who CCW outside their homes might kill an innocent bystander thinking them to be a threat. Why would a person be any less responsible at home than they are out and about in the world?
Old October 31, 2010, 04:28 PM   #134
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Have you given any thought what so ever:

If you were carrying, you might have a dead roommate ??
William Petit's wife and two daughters are dead because no one was carrying at home. The two home invaders who raped them, tied them up, then set the house on fire and left them to burn were armed with a baseball bat and a BB gun. It's almost inconceivable that the homeowners wouldn't have prevailed had they been armed.

In fact, one of the killers says Petit could have saved his family...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...who_could.html

Here's a quote from one of the killers.
"If you don't want to defend your family, then take your chances with the criminal while police sit outside and follow protocol," he continued, referring to the fact that law enforcement arrived on the scene and were roping off the area outside the home while the two assailants were still inside committing the horrific murders.
I'm just saying the argument can go both ways.
Old October 31, 2010, 04:56 PM   #135
oifcombatvet

I do not carry in my house. If it hit the fan, I am 10 seconds from my 9mm in the bedroom.
Old November 1, 2010, 04:45 PM   #136
beckett1911

most of the time i cary my full size 1911 or my sig p226 but i dont always carry at home
Old November 1, 2010, 05:35 PM   #137
headbangerJD

sometimes

If I'm planning on leaving or have just come home my CCW usually stays in my pocket. If I'm home and don't plan on leaving the CCW goes into the coffee table drawer for quick access and the Mossberg 590A1 gets placed beside the bed.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:35 PM   #138
mrt949

I always have a mouse gun in my pocket .Eather a beretta 21a or my seecamp 32. The past few years things have changed in the world . Some people have no respect for others. Are you happy to see me or is that a mouse in your pocket
Old November 1, 2010, 06:23 PM   #139
Terry A

As I've gotten older, I find myself carrying inside the house more & more. There's always been guns with-in quick reach all thru the home, but I mean I've actually been carrying one on my person more & more. I have no enemies, live in a good area of town and am not paranoid. What really affected me was reading about all the home invasions of random people who were often times assaulted, raped or killed by total strangers just choosing some house at random. I don't want to ever be in a position where that happens to my loved ones.

It goes without saying that I am always armed outside.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 2, 2010, 07:19 AM   #140
BlueTrain

Can we talk about crime statistics for a moment? I don't wish to minimize the dangers of home invasions or other crimes but I have seen the statment "going up" one too often. So I did some research.

To begin with, a home invasion is not a legally defined term in the United States, even though it may be a generally accepted media expression. The closest approximation in crime statistics may be robbery. If you aren't home, it's a burglary. If you are home and someone knocks down your front door and bursts in, apparently, judging from postings on this forum, it is most likely the police who got the house number wrong.

Be that as it may be, I checked nine different cities on the web site for the Detroit Free Press, which has a more or less easy to use data base of FBI crime statistics for the years 2005 through 2009 by state and city. I don't live in a city, but in Fairfax County, Virginia, so I can't check the statistics for where I live. I did check Alexandria, however. I also checked Roanoke, VA, Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, and San Francisco in California, Flagstaff, AZ, El Paso, Birmingham, Alabama, and Princeton, West Virginia, my hometown.

The results were interesting even though "home invasion" isn't a statistic. In all cases for violent crime, including robberies and murders, and for property crimes, including burglaries, the absolute numbers in all those categories except in El Paso, which had an increase in violent crime but a decrease in murders and in Bakersfield, which also had an increase in violent crime as well as a decrease in murders. I might note that the number of murders in Birmingham, Alabama, was over five times the number of murders in El Paso, Texas. Even Bakersfield, California, had twice the number of murders as El Paso.

I quickly admit my sampling was just a sample and not necessarily going to represent an average but it sure doesn't look like one can say that "home invasions are going up, up" without any exaggeration. I also point out that these are simple numbers and not rates, which I looked at a few months ago when someone asked about Orlando, Florida. That was when I discovered my hometown had quite high crime rates.

I'd still recommend locking your doors at night, all the same.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:39 AM   #141
NickW

We live so far out in the country that no one would hear us screme for help; so yes, I carry at home while the dogs patrol the perimeter. Damn, just remembered, I'm out of tin foil....

Last edited by NickW; November 3, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:47 AM   #142
WvHiker

I do

I generally do carry at home. I mainly do it because I have a child, so if it isn't on my hip it's locked away where it will do me no good.
Old November 2, 2010, 09:31 AM   #143
Glenn E. Meyer

Being someone who teaches stat - is that really useful to concentrate on the average?

No, you have to look at the level of extremes to determine your risk level. A break-in or home invasion is low probabiity to be sure but of high consequence.

The Petits are the perfect example. It takes little to carry a small gun around. You probably won't need it. However, the small percentage who do - really do.

Stat is more complicated than averages and many miss that.
Old November 2, 2010, 11:46 AM   #144
BlueTrain

No, they weren't averages. They were absolutes. They are a statement of the level of events, extremes, as you say. My point is that "home invasions" are not going up, up. I just like a little truth in these statements.

As you probably know, it is difficult to state simple facts using statistics and have them mean very much. It's sort of like saying it rained yesterday (which is not a statistic at all). In addition to what I mentioned already in the previous post, in a couple of the cities, even though the numbers in 2009 were lower than they were in 2005, they were higher in all the years in between. But you could still say they went down.

Another thing about statistics is that if you don't like the results, you can simply ignore them and go ahead and say whatever you like, which people will do. If you don't care for the facts, make up your own and keep saying it over and over again until your own statement is accepted as The Fact.

Even in the case of FBI statistics, which amount to nearly 300 pages for each year, they are still based on input from participating agencies only and other federal agencies use supposedly different methods and get different results, though it would be hard to imagine how results would be a lot different.

I'm still curious how it is that El Paso, Texas, had only 12 murders in 2009. Roanoke, Virginia, had 9 and in 2005 even had more than El Paso. Maybe a lot of places have undeserved reputations for either safety or danger.

Again, they weren't averages. They were the reported numerical incidents for the two years I compared. And I did not mention rates, either.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 2, 2010, 06:18 PM   #145
therealdeal

I agree with glenn and the petit case he has mentioned before. I at least have the weapon handy. right now its on the bookshelf near me as an example(instead of in my pocket). I never leave the weapon downstairs at bedtime; this ccw weapon goes to sleep w/his brother.

I am glad I am in a nicer area too but those stats should be micromanaged to suit you too. you can do usa stats versus canada as an example(this is an example of the opposite). stats for someone's home state who lives in the hood doesn't do anything unless its the stats of his neighborhood. the bottom line is if someone kicks down his door he needs to be ready to protect his/her family. home invasions happen. don't think for one minute they don't

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 3, 2010, 06:24 AM   #146
BlueTrain

All I was saying was that people claim, and not just here, that home invasions are going up and that simply doesn't seem to be true, if we define certain things as a home invasion. I never said home invasions didn't happen. In fact, there was an incident several months ago about two miles from my home in which the homeowner was at home. Legally defined, it was a burglarly and armed robbery. But the homeowner was also armed but he was the one who got shot, if I remember correctly. And the burglar actually lived in my neighborhood. You all probably thought I live in a nice neighborhood.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 3, 2010, 06:53 AM   #147
Irish B

I may not have guns in every room but i do have weapons in every room. Knives, bats, etc. I do keep firearms upstairs and downstairs. . never far out of reach. I keep my sp101 in my nightstand and my 870 just behind my closet door in my room. When im home i carry my knife with me. Not to mention i have an impression collection of boning/skinning knives in the kitchen.
Old November 3, 2010, 09:19 AM   #148
hartlock

I have my Para 10-45 within arms reach, 24-7. Trouble that comes to you
is not gonna wait for you to run to your bedroom, etc., to grab your gun.
And before the Para bashers start, my 10-45 runs flawlessly. Just one man's
2 cents worth.
Old November 3, 2010, 10:53 AM   #149
therealdeal

bluetrain,

I can understand where you are coming from+wasn't trying to pick your post apart. I don't have data, but I have heard home invasions have been going up. This might be a myth like you said is possible at the least. I have also seen data/statistics where crime rates have actually dropped in many areas, so it just all depends sometimes. Statistics can be astonishing in certain criteria: over a great lake in michigan where murder rates in one city can be very, very high and then on the other side of the lake in canada one homicide in 3 yrs?! It makes you think! Also, I hear media talking about home invasions, so they need to make that a more commonly understood word if it isn't already. This might be one of the reasons why the data is skewed if its seperate than an armed robbery when someone is home.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 3, 2010, 10:58 AM   #150
BlueTrain

Perhaps "home invasion" is right up there with Saturday Night Specials, cop-killer bullets and hair-triggers.
Buy War Bonds.