The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2010, 12:38 PM   #26
MisterWhite

Thanks so much for all of your responses, fellas! I'm glad I don't sound like I'm paranoid for wanting to carry while at home, judging by the number of others that do so.

jhenry brought up a valid point that I think I worded poorly:

Quote:
Adrenaline should never take over your reasoning skills. Having a roommate means that sometimes the door opens late at night or early in the AM. Is your roommate in danger of getting covered by your loaded pistol because he comes into his own residence? Something to consider.
What I meant by that was that in a high stress situation, I believe a person more 'reacts' to a situation rather than sit and analyze all potential consequences. I didn't mean that I would throw logic to the wind. This was poor communication on my part.

As for the roommate, we've been in the same house for over a month, and this is the first occasion of his being up so early, he told me later today that he was having trouble sleeping. I'm glad it was an insomniac roommate and nothing more.

Thanks guys!
-Chris
Old September 21, 2010, 12:45 PM   #27
revolverrandy

sometimes

Sometimes I do.
Is that a typo?,seventy rounds on hand in case someone come in your door?
How many bad guys are you expecting may come through your door at one time?lol
Old September 21, 2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Jimmy10mm

I always have a pistol within easy reach when I'm home. If not on my person there will be one within arm's length. I live solo so no one else's welfare to consider.
Old September 21, 2010, 12:56 PM   #29
zxcvbob

I sometimes do, mostly for practice. (I haven't taken my PPITH class yet to get my carry permit.) Even when I get the permit, I don't know that I'll carry very often -- haven't decided yet.

I think I'll call the instructor today and see when she's offering the class again; I just missed the last one.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Tucker 1371

MisterWhite,

I can definitely relate to your story. The three uninterrupted semesters I spent in college (currently waiting until next semester to start back) I lived in a 1st floor, one story apartment. My last 3 weeks or so there were some break-ins in the area and a murder in my complex so I took a trip home one weekend and brought my 20ga down with me.

Now I'm back home working and waiting to start class again. When I'm at home by myself on my days off I don't really "carry" but I try to keep my PT 1911 somewhere in the room I am in constantly. There's also a 20ga sitting in a corner downstairs and an SKS and another 1911 somewhere upstairs.

We have some strange/shady folks who show up from time to time and look surprised when I open the door (hiding the 1911 behind it) and ask them "Hey there, you/yall need help with anything?" They usually say something like "Oh no, just wondering if that jeep you got there is for sale" or "I was wondering if you knew so-and-so". Never gone and checked it out (and I don't plan to) but I've been told there's some place where meth junkies like to get together or do business or whatever it is they do so that's part of the reason for my caution even living here, way outside of the city limits.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old September 21, 2010, 01:25 PM   #31
OuTcAsT

Yep, shore nuff do !

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old September 21, 2010, 01:28 PM   #32
Hook686

nope

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:49 PM   #33
oneounceload

No need where I live - half the time, the doors are unlocked, or the garage door is up, even all night.

Quote:
I notice a shadow moving, and almost without thinking my hand went to my hip and to my immediate terror was weapon-less, so I ducked behind the wall that the stairs come down to. Right about then, my room mate comes strolling in through the door, after just squashing out a cigarette.
Immediate terror could have had dire consequences as a result.

Imagine had you had your gun, you see someone coming in, maybe too quickly, panic sets in, and you shoot your room mate accidentally because you didn't know he was having a smoke.........
Old September 21, 2010, 01:53 PM   #34
threecharley

you betcha! 44mag.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:57 PM   #35
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayInTx
In the house there is always a gun within quick reach at night, no children here.
During the day I usually have a gun, OC, on me because I’ve had a few “unusual” callers with flimsy excuses for coming here.
Pretty much the same here. Not a bad neighborhood, but I live just south of a violent city. Seems to be runoff of sorts here intermittently, though it's mostly theft from cars and garages. Only hear of violent home invasions once or twice a year, but it's enough to keep my armed during the day. The gun stays next to me while relaxing at night also. Dogs are also a problem, even though there's a leash law, and police here don't seem to want to do anything about it. I'm sure that if I have to shoot one though, they'll show up right quick, and not to congratulate me.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:09 PM   #36
ZCORR Jay

I don't only for the fact that I'm still waiting on the great state of NY to process my permit application. With that said though I am never that far away from my rifle... mosin nagant (I know not best HD weapon but hey it has a bayonet) Once I do get my CCW I might just keep something by my side because hey... you never know.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:12 PM   #37
Dwight55

revolverrandy wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes I do.
Is that a typo?,seventy rounds on hand in case someone come in your door?
How many bad guys are you expecting may come through your door at one time?lol
Ummmm, . . . I have 30 + 20 + 9 + 7 + 6 + 9 + 5, . . . then I have to reload.

The real trouble with trouble coming, . . . one never knows how many companieros he may bring with him.

But in answer to the OP, . . . Sometimes I do. If my wife is home, I usually do not as one of us will notice anything or anyone on the property, . . . whereas if she is gone, . . . I may be otherwise occupied and not as attentive as necessary, . . . so I carry then for sure. But sometimes I carry anyway.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 21, 2010, 02:28 PM   #38
GunLink

Most of the time I do. I am right now.

When I'm not, there's never something too hard to get to.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:37 PM   #39
MisterWhite

Ha, I love the way every word that one uses is picked apart.

oneounceload - Immediate terror: Dread, a disconcerted feeling, thinking "Oh jeez, the one time I need my weapon it's not on my hip."

This is not to be confused with panic or complete hysteria, and start blasting at everything that moves. There's a difference between entering fight or flight mode and completely [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ting the bed.
Old September 21, 2010, 03:01 PM   #40
Rifleman 173

As soon as the pants go on, the gun goes on too. When I am awake and moving I always have a pistol on me. Having served in combat for 19 months in Viet Nam, I learned to never move around without some sort of firearm on me. Enemy soldiers and American thugs both have the same thing in mind: find an easy victim who can't or isn't prepared to fight back. And I am forever scanning my surroundings too. If I go shopping, before I enter the store I look things over at the cash registers. If there is no panic or no unusual activity going on then I do my shopping. If I see trouble, I stay outside, watch, wait and note license plates down. Heck, I might even take some cell phone photos of whatever I can from a safe distance if I think it might help somebody later. So, keeping in mind that bad guys don't call us up in advance to schedule when they'll invade our homes, you gotta kind of think ahead of them and trouble so always, whenever you're awake, carry some sort of gun or protective device on you. Besides, if you only have one gun and its on your hip or in your pocket that makes for better safety control of your gun when the kids come over to play too. So it's just common sense to carry when you are at home.
Old September 21, 2010, 03:52 PM   #41
oneounceload

Quote:
a, I love the way every word that one uses is picked apart.

oneounceload - Immediate terror: Dread, a disconcerted feeling, thinking "Oh jeez, the one time I need my weapon it's not on my hip."

This is not to be confused with panic or complete hysteria, and start blasting at everything that moves. There's a difference between entering fight or flight mode and completely [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ting the bed.
And if you live where you feel that dread, perhaps you need to move - some of us do not have that constant feeling of dread, or the paranoia that every time we step out of our cocoon we must be ready to battle a galactic armada, even when we go to the mailbox. But if I HAD a non-spousal room mate, I would make damn sure I knew their habits - such as stepping out early for a smoke

Amazing how folks who complain about words being picked apart are the first to post vague non responses to real world scenarios - hope you don't shoot YOUR room mate, even if you're married.......
Old September 21, 2010, 04:00 PM   #42
ninobrown

carry at home?

As soon as I put on pants, my weapon is attached. I get up, hit the bathroom, and get dressed. Never head downstairs until I am dressed and strapped up.
Old September 21, 2010, 04:25 PM   #43
MisterWhite

oneounceload, Look, sir; I'm not trying to get into an argument here. I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking your time to respond. But, If you read my previous posts, I later asked my roommate about the uncharacteristic behavior, and an answer was given. I apologize if this didn't meet your approval, it was the best detective work I could muster.

And yes, I live where shootings/robberies are a regular occurrence. So I feel I must keep a state of cautious suspicion when something don't feel right. If I had the financial means to live where I didn't have to lock my doors, I would, but paying for college makes living in the suburbs unfeasible.

Again, I mean no offense, just saying there's a lot of factors that go into why someone would react a certain way.

--------------------------------------------------------

Haha no, that's no typo, my magazines make as good a place as any to keep the hollowpoints. Why? Because I'd rather have them ready and not need them, than need them ready and not have them.
G19 magazines - X3 - 15 rounds a piece
G21 magazines - X2 - 13 rounds a piece
--------------------------------------------------------
And everyone else too, thanks for all the different views about this! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
-Chris
Old September 21, 2010, 06:04 PM   #44
pacerdude

I don't carry a firearm around my home, because like the OP, I am a college student living in an apartment adjacent to campus. I have a roommate that comes at all hours of the night, a great guy but he likes the downtown bar scene , while I do not.

He also has friends over a fair amount of the time, and I prefer his friends to be unaware of my pistol. I don't really care what they think of guns, I just don't want a lot of people to know that I own guns.

I also live on the fourth floor with a crap load of stairs to go up, so my apartment doesnt seem to be a prime target for bad guys, knock on wood.
Old September 21, 2010, 06:24 PM   #45
silentargus

I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, so I can't carry out and about, but when I'm in the house I wear a .357 IWB- either my S&W 649 or my Ruger 3" SP101, and a speedloader in my left pocket. My mother is disabled, and spends most of her time in the living room; my safe is up two flights of stairs. If anyone broke in, it would take way too long to get mom somewhere more secure, and it would take even longer to retrieve a gun from upstairs and run back down (nevermind that if the BG came in the front, they would then be between me and the living room). Since I'm responsible for someone who cannot defend herself, I got in the habit of being prepared. Now I carry in the house even when I'm alone.
Old September 21, 2010, 06:26 PM   #46
TheGoldenState

DOnt carry in my house, will NEVER carry in my house. I do have guns in mosts rooms tho.
Old September 21, 2010, 06:46 PM   #47
ZeSpectre

I usually do, especially if I'm out working on the property.
Old September 21, 2010, 11:30 PM   #48
Teuthis

Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them. Carrying a gun around in one's house is pretty far out, unless the ghetto surrounds you. Then I might see it. I carry a gun sometimes when I go outside early because of Javelina and coyotes. Javelina are really mean and unpredictable and coyotes are rabid in these parts. But inside the house I see no need. I think that keeping a gun handy in the house can be a good idea though. Perhaps I too am a little paranoid?
Old September 21, 2010, 11:49 PM   #49
threecharley

Times have changed bro incase ya haven't noticed. carrying around the house doesn't make you parinoid' it makes you ready!
Old September 22, 2010, 12:42 AM   #50
Eagle0711

If I knew the BGs were comming I'd call the cops

Always, I'm wearing pajamas and have my 642 in the pocket. The big boys tell us that the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun. As mentioned BGs don't make appointments. Had to go down stairs and feed the cats. Never know what waits in the dark. I have some of that Buffolo Bore 158 plus P 158 Gr. LSWCHP with a GS that's 1000FPS out of a short barrel. Best, Lyle

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy ; Shoot straighter. Chic Gaylord