The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 13, 2010, 07:51 AM   #1
threegun

So you pulled your gun on someone what happened next???

Guys I'm looking for some first hand accounts of the reaction by the bad guy once you pulled your gun on them. Did they comply, run, continue, freeze, Etc. You can post the story if you are comfortable doing so or just the outcome.

I have had a couple and got compliance from both.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:01 AM   #2
45Gunner

Each time I pulled my gun on someone, actually my rifle, I shot them. No time for them to run. No place to hide, once I found them. No neutralize the threat, just shoot to kill.

But that was in Vietnam and we were all young and lawless. Live like an animal and became an animal. But keep this in mind, most of us that had that attitude are here to (not) talk about it (and suffer the consequences of our actions - PTSD).

If you are going to pull your gun out of your holster, you damn well better pull the trigger (unless you are a trained LEO). Otherwise, you have no business extracting metal from leather.
NRA Life Member
Old July 13, 2010, 08:26 AM   #3
ISC

If you ever point a gun at someone you better
1) have a reason to kill them

and

2) be ready to shoot them.

If they raise their hands and surrender you tell them to lie face down on the ground or on their knees with their legs crossed and their hands behind their backs while you call the cops.

If they run away you keep your weapon pointed at them in case they turn around and point a weapon at you. As soon as they are a safe distance, call the police and report the incident so that you son't have to worry about being accused of brandishing a gun.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:34 AM   #4
ice9_us

in the car...

When I go through Atlanta and suburbs (what I dub highrisk areas) I keep the gun between the seat and console…
While at a stop light in DeKalb county there was a guy standing on the corner looking at everyone.
I noticed he didn’t cross after 2 red lights, and was curious as to why he was standing there. When I pulled up in his view, I saw him looking at my jeep..
I was alone. The guy started to walk up to my car looking, moving his head around, trying to see in side if anyone was in with me or if I was alone.. or so that is how I felt.. the closer he got the more nervous I got because he wasn’t moving for the last 5 minutes. I put my hand on the gun. As he saw me move he raised up to look at what I was doing, I moved my hand just enough for him to see it, and his expression changed quickly, and he backed up and turned away.. I am not sure what his purpose was, but the next day someone on that corner was killed during a carjacking.. That may just be coincidence, but since that day I never leave my gun.
Old July 13, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
ISC

I'm guessing that you didn't call the police and report it. I don't imagine I would have either, but I wonder if the person who died there the next day might have had a different fate if a call to the police with a description had been made. Knowing Atlanta, probly not, they would likely have just ignored it.
Old July 13, 2010, 09:10 AM   #6
CWPinSC

Why do you want to know?
Old July 13, 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
ice9_us

nope

My dad was a atlanta officer for 20 years.. retired..
He said they can't and won't do anything unless a law was broken...
A guy standing outside your car would not warrent a policeofficer to do anything.

I didn't think anything of it.. it may not even be related...
It was just scary to think about the events that took place.
The fact he didn't do anything illegal would not allowed them to do anything.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
brj

Quote:
I have had a couple and got compliance from both.
Then what happened ?
Old July 13, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
markj

Quote:
So you pulled your gun on someone what happened next???
I unleashed the hell only brought by the skilled use of the largest super soaker allowed by law. They got wet.

A few years ago some fellows drove onto my place uninvited, said they had beef to sell, hmmm come to a feedlot and try to sell beef? I told him I dont buy beef, he started in his spiel, I said very loud voice, get the heck off of my place before I get real upset. I was standing by him looking down on his head, he left fast. No body wants to mess with 300 lbs of me dont need a gun for dealing with creeps like that. Never had to use a gun in any confrontation I ever had, even when a bouncer.

Now my Uncles and cousins that are LEO can sure tell you some tales, well if you were family they would.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:01 PM   #10
threegun

Guys I'm not trying to start another thread explaining the whys, whens, and hows about pulling a gun on someone. I simply want those folks who have pulled on someone without having to fire to let us know how said bad guy reacted.

Quote:
Why do you want to know?
I need information to support or dispel a theory I have. Plus its fun to read the stories.

Quote:
Then what happened ?
In one case we held the bad guy for police. The other case we retreated safely from the area. Both situations the sight of the gun caused an immediate cessation of motion.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:42 PM   #11
javabum

If i did ever pull my weapon on some one,having it laid out on the internet would be the last place i would want it.....Anything put out on the web is there forever and could possibly (and would) be used against you in the future for anything that comes up in the future.

I would think that some if not most who carry would agree with me....
Just curious....why do/would you want that kind if information for?

NRA Life member
Old July 13, 2010, 06:01 PM   #12
threegun

Javabum, I left the option to post the story or the just outcome. If your scenario is justified there shouldn't be a problem either way. If you feel this way then simply don't post. There are plenty who can and hopefully will.

I already listed why I'm asking.
Old July 13, 2010, 06:29 PM   #13
demigod

Quote:
If you are going to pull your gun out of your holster, you damn well better pull the trigger (unless you are a trained LEO).
<Good Grief Colorado>! You're an instructor????

In my state you can be charged with Agg assault for unnecessarily pointing a gun at an innocent person... and rightly so.

But if someone brandishes a knife in a threatening way, you pull your pistol, and they drop the knife, seeing that you're armed..... following your rules would get you a murder conviction. ESPECIALLY if there are witnesses to the incident.

There are NO ABSOLUTES in any given threat scenario that tell me you shoot when you draw no matter what. And there are plenty of incidents of the weapon presentation ending a dangerous situation peacefully. The advice from LE/instructors in my state is to report the incident so the bad guy doesn't try and play Good Guy and nail you for Agg assault.

Last edited by JohnKSa; July 16, 2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Terminology adjustment.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:37 PM   #14
old bear

I should have known better than to even start in this one, so if I can't delete my post at least I can erase it.

Last edited by old bear; July 14, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: This is getting out of hand.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:13 PM   #15
grubbylabs

I did not necessarily pull my weapon on some one but I did pull a revolver from my pocket and have it at my side while I was being confronted by a threatening dog. I never pointed the gun at any thing or any one, But the dog owner did get a little more serious about putting his dog away. The sheriff did show up looking for "two guys in Cabela's outfits" that had a hand gun, but according to my dad, he was their only a few seconds. Had he run the plates on the only car there he would have seen that I have CCW permit. It would have taken him literally minutes to find me wading in the stream, In other words he would have had of get out of his truck. So basically nothing happened.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 13, 2010, 08:27 PM   #16
eddyb74

Short version. Confrontation with a guy outside a bar(I was sober) he started digging in the bed of his truck. I told him to leave his tire iron alone and have a good night. He came at me with the tire iron, I had already drawn (I was standing in the open door of my truck, so the gun was out of sight)I showed him the gun as he waved the iron from about 8 feet away and once again told him to have a good night. He picked up his jaw, said you too and walked away.

Did I handle it perfectly? No. Did I get the response I wanted? Yes.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:31 PM   #17
45Gunner

Quote:
In my state you can be charged with Agg assault for unnecessarily pointing a gun at an innocent person... and rightly so
Did I miss something here? I thought the discussion was about pulling a gun on someone and I think I made it quite clear that if you pull a gun on someone you had better be of the mindset to use it. I don't think my words could be misconstrued to indicate that one would pull a gun on an "innocent" person. I think the point was being made that if you take the gun out of the holster, we are not taking about innocent other parties.

Indeed, if one were to pull a gun on a so-called innocent person, say for the purpose of intimidation, then you are actually correct and the offending person could realistically be charged with AGG Assault.

For the sake of this conversation, I think we were talking about two different things in the same conversation. I will try to be more precise next time. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
NRA Life Member
Old July 13, 2010, 11:41 PM   #18
hoytinak

The closest I've come to pulling a gun (as a civilian anyways): Got a call about 2am from some drunk buddies at the bar needing a ride home so I went to pick them up. Of course they were hungry and wanted to go to Waffle House but didn't have any cash on them. So I pull up to an ATM machine and when I get the money out of the machine a guy comes outta no where (from drunksitting I guess I just didn't see him walk up ) with a knife and tells me to hand the cash over to him. I had my Springfield Champian between my seat and the center console. Well I pulled it out, set it on my lap and said "I don't think so"...the guy dropped the knife, said he was sorry and ran away. This happened across the street from the local police station so right after I went in a filed a report.
Old July 14, 2010, 08:01 AM   #19
LordTio3

I've only ever had a couple of incidents (thanks to God for that) in my years. 2 were misunderstandings about proper procedure for maintenance workers letting themselves into my apartment when I'm not home which got me strict compliance and a written apology... the second time.

The only other time I had to use my CCW weapon against a BG in self defense was to deter two individuals from robbing me outside of a drive-thru ATM at a gas station. The entire situation is burried somewhere here, but the basic situation was that two individuals who knew that I had just gotten money from the nearby ATM came at me in a Kroger Gas Station lot. I saw them coming and looked at the teller in his booth and said, "Call the Police right now." I then walked a few feet from the booth, squared up with them, cleared my cover garment and gripped my weapon. I stopped there and didn't pull. I could see all 4 hands under the lights of the station. I made menacing eye contact and said very seriously,
"Stop right there. The police are on their way... If I were you, I'd be running right now."

They stopped when I told them to. So I stopped my draw. If they had come any closer, they would have had a pair of sights trained on them. But they didn't, so they didn't. If one had pulled a weapon, so would I. If one had come at me with a weapon, a small cohort of my weapon would be coming at them; quite quickly. But like most criminals, they were also cowards when their victimology proved faulty. They exchanged a thoughtful look between them and took off running.

This ended exactly like it should have. And my unlock codes served me very well. See a threat - prepare yourself. See an armed threat - arm yourself. Witness an eminent attack - produce an eminent attack.

And what is more, no one ever saw my weapon; I could have been bluffing my hind end off. But HAVING my weapon on me gave me the confidence and knowledge to face two possibly armed individuals without hesitation. Just as 90% of defense encounters are solved by simply brandishing, I believe that many more are prevented altogether by how criminals perceive the behavior of those individuals that have the capacity to defend themselves. They are looking for defenseless, so they naturally pass up quiet confidence and implied strength for weak and insecure every day of the week.

~LT
Old July 14, 2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Tuzo

Only in war have I had to shoot aggressively.

45Gunner responded:

"If you are going to pull your gun out of your holster, you damn well better pull the trigger (unless you are a trained LEO). Otherwise, you have no business extracting metal from leather."

This is either meaningless posturing or serious misunderstanding of what it means to carry a firearm. Attitudes and statements such as this help fuel a negative image of firearm owners and carriers. Reminds me of the novelized Hollywood notion that everytime a samurai draws a sword blood must also be drawn.

Thankfully, most firearm carriers do not adhere to 45Gunner's practice. If they did we would have CCW, open carry, and firearms ownership in dire peril.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:16 PM   #21
Edward429451

<"If you are going to pull your gun out of your holster, you damn well better pull the trigger (unless you are a trained LEO). Otherwise, you have no business extracting metal from leather.">

I understand this mindset and in no way can say it is wrong. I do not adhere to it 100% because (luckily) it is not always necessary to shoot if one draws. If I don't have to shoot then by god I wont shoot. That does not mean that I've never felt the need to draw, it's happened...

Once working security at Eastland Lanes in Columbus an off duty CPD caught his wife being 'searched' by another man. Big man chases away the oppurtunist and proceeds to slap his Wife around. I tell him to go so he decides to take his frustrations out on me and double palmed me causing me to drop my radio. I introduced him to my PR-24 a few times and he's standing there bleeding and says something to the effect of oh you are so dead and reaches in his pocket, and I'm thinkin knife so I draw and go to low ready in case he's going for carkeys instead...I got my response, he started paying real close attention to me and moving real slow, he was going for his keys to leave. I felt bad about it but knew I did the right thing.

Another time, a pair of Guys followed me and my then pregnant Wife off the bus and wanted to get our money with a shell game so I yelled at them to leave us alone, and took my Wifes arm and head her up a side street, 1/2 block up here comes one of them out from between the row of houses and I turn around to see the other one approaching from up the street. The big one is crowding me and I am trying to give him space and half steppin backwards giving him room and he keeps shuffling towards me closing the gap and I was backed up against the street. Suddenly it escalated and I could feel him about to suckerpunch me and then he was going to knock down my pregnant Wife and take her purse. I remember it like yesterday, with my left arm I sweep my Wife rearwards and took one step back with my right foot and took a drawing grip on my 1911...(I never made firends so fast in my life!) The big guy puts his hands up and steps back, the smaller one sits down in the grass very fast. The big one turned and started to walk up through a yard the direction he had come between the houses. I took her arm and we jogged a few blocks to create distance. Then I couldn't stop shaking for like 20-30 minutes! Oh i was all pumped up, that was close.
Old July 14, 2010, 01:30 PM   #22
booker_t

I imagine responses to this loose survey question would fall into one of the following bins:

1) Pulled gun, opponent ceased, no fire.

2) Pulled gun, opponent continued, fire to stop.

3) Pulled gun, opponent continued, fire failed to stop, citizen injured/killed.

4) Didn't pull gun, opponent ceased, no action.

5) Didn't pull gun, opponent continued, physical action to stop.

6) Didn't pull gun, opponent continued, physical action failed to stop, citizen injured/killed.

#4 and #6 would not likely respond to your thread if they read it, particularly if they were deceased.

#2 would not likely respond because generally it is not something they want to talk about, considering the legal issues. If you've read the TFL archives going back to 1998, you'll find scant few postings from people sharing their personal story about stopping an attack with gunfire.

#1, #3 and #5 people may post about, either because they want to inform others, are proud of their successful defense, or some other reason.

We could further break this down into opponent types (home intruders, rapists, street muggers/druggies, car jackers, bar/public house patrons, terrorists, etc).

Regardless, while anecdotal information from a self-selective community of gun enthusiasts (such as TFL) might make for an interesting read, it does not sufficiently provide significant (statistical or otherwise) evidence for the formulation, validation or verification of tactics theory. In the end, gun enthusiasts will come to the same conclusions:

1) Having it is better than not having it and

2) Using it responsibly is of key importance both for effectiveness and to preserve the right to continue having it.

Last edited by booker_t; July 14, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 14, 2010, 02:22 PM   #23
hagar

The people I really fear are the bad people that do not give a darn if you shoot them or not. Fortunately the 9 or 10 bad ones I encountered over the last 30 years accepted my invitation to leave without much protest, or only got brave once they were in a vehicle and sped off, hurling obscenities at me.

There is NOTHING that will end a situation faster than for the perps to think that they are about to get shot. But don't stand there and act hesitant or give them the impression that you will not follow through.
Old July 14, 2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker t
I imagine responses to this loose survey question would fall into one of the following bins:

1) Pulled gun, opponent ceased, no fire.

2) Pulled gun, opponent continued, fire to stop.

4) Pulled gun, opponent continued, fire failed to stop, citizen injured/killed.

3) Didn't pull gun, opponent ceased, no action.

5) Didn't pull gun, opponent continued, physical action stop.

6) Didn't pull gun, opponent continued, physical action failed to stop, citizen injured/killed.

#4 and #6 would not likely respond to your thread if they read it, particularly if they were deceased.

#2 would not likely respond because generally it is not something they want to talk about, considering the legal issues. If you've read the TFL archives going back to 1998, you'll find scant few postings from people sharing their personal story about stopping an attack with gunfire.

#1, #3 and #5 people may post about, either because they want to inform others, are proud of their successful defense, or some other reason.

We could further break this down into opponent types (home intruders, rapists, street muggers/druggies, car jackers, bar/public house patrons, terrorists, etc).

Regardless, while from a self-selective community of gun enthusiasts (such as TFL) might make for an interesting read, it does not sufficiently provide significant (statistical or otherwise) evidence for the formulation, validation or verification of tactics theory. In the end, gun enthusiasts will come to the same conclusions:

1) Having it is better than not having it.
2) Using it responsibly is of key importance.
And in what way does this answer the OP's question. If you have no "anecdotal information" to offer why are you responding?
Old July 14, 2010, 03:43 PM   #25
threegun

Microgunner, Does BookerT remind you of someone? Initials DA.

BookerT, What this study will likely prove wrong is your assertion that the aggressive act of pulling a firearm on someone will somehow trigger their cornered animal aggressive response. In your books perhaps you are correct to assume as much however on the street most folks run, stop, comply, or retreat when faced with an armed opponent.

After further discussions with Microgunner I have to change his incident to the comply category because the bad guy stopped the physical attack on his vehicle although he continued his verbal assault. So now everyone that I know who has pulled a firearm on someone has gotten compliance.