The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 31, 2009, 02:23 PM   #26
JimL

I've been laughed at for this one, but still think it makes sense.

If you are in a mall, carry a dark colored plastic shopping bag with the gun in it. If it's too thin a rag of some sort can break up the gun's outline. (You could even spray glue a washcloth in the bag as a liner.) And you don't even need to pull the gun out of the plastic bag to shoot it.

JimL
Old November 9, 2009, 03:30 AM   #27
Brit

Many years ago when living in Toronto, eating on my own (Supper) I was getting way to much attention from 4 late teens across the Café'.

Only been here in the day time B/4, whole different ball game at 7 PM.

Only in Canada you say! No on person weapons, except for a pen knife, no way a fighting weapon.

Asked for a take home box, and an extra paper bag.

When I was outside, the steak knife I borrowed (yes I did return it!) was in the extra bag, and I had a real good grip of it.

Left hand and arm was free, for access to alarm on Jeep. In vehicle, key over visor (no start when alarm on) Slam/Lock/Key/gone!

I think my blood pressure shot up, I think I started breathing later, I must have done, right?!

Any contact? No.
Old November 9, 2009, 04:31 PM   #28
JimL

Quote:
Asked for a take home box, and an extra paper bag.
That reminds me of a movie scene. (Not all movie scenes are wrong.) The guy put several cans of soda in a pillow case! Surprised the heck (and considerable blood) out of the bully.

JimL
Old November 11, 2009, 03:20 AM   #29
T.A.Sharps

There could also be some legal issues with a bag or case being out of your control if a cop inspects it.

Someone here got charged with something because the CCW permit holder was inside a gas station, and his weapon was in the glove box, with his wife or girlfriend inside the car. A cop came up and asked for the usual and his wife reached into the glove box and the weapon was in there.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but it was one of the examples given in my CC class.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:54 AM   #30
wy1ble

I have a Maxpedition Jumbo VERSIPACK that I carry as a diaper bag/ off body carry. It works great with 2 little kids and has pocket set up to hold their holster and extra mag pouch.

it cost about $100, but well worth it...and its even looks tough enough, we got the OD green, that my husband will use it when he is out with the kids.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:55 PM   #31
Newton24b

how often do you forget your wallet? carkeys? beer money? cell phone?

its just as easy to forget the little shoulder bag or manpurse with a handgun in it. theives are trained to grab for purses and the like as those have valuable checkbooks and credit card inthem. thus, that bag is making a big attention grabber.

also if you cant have a holster on your belt, claim any english/scotch/irish heritage demand you wear a sporan. It really is the best place to carry something valuable, very few people are going to grab at that specific body area on a man, especially if the man is taller and heavier and bigger then the snatcher. and truth be told what mugger wants to go to jail with
"innapropriate sexual touching" charge tacked on when everybody will now the victim was big bruno the meat packer?
Old November 12, 2009, 06:36 PM   #32
JimL

Quote:
if you cant have a holster on your belt, claim any english/scotch/irish heritage demand you wear a sporan.
I forget the name, but there is a soft holster (more like an apron pocket than anything) that hangs from low on your waist (with really wide velcro) and hides a gun in the hollow below your "beer belly." If you're a guy you end up with two barrels hanging just about even. It's not for tight pants. It's _definitely_ not a quick draw arrangement. But who is going to try to quick draw on a guy with a gun anyway? Get behind cover where you have time to do your drawing.

JimL