The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Did you ever draw your weapon?
Yes 204 47.33%
No 227 52.67%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 26, 2009, 04:32 PM   #51
TailGator

Quote:
Cant draw, am not artistic enough.
Groucho lives!

Tried to use the same terminology as the OP, but still laughing.
Old June 26, 2009, 04:52 PM   #52
rantingredneck

I had just left a jewelry store with my wife's engagement ring in hand. The store was a posted no-carry zone. I'd left my handgun under my seat. I got in the truck and as I was about to pull out a crackhead started yanking on my (locked) door and pounding on my window. Withdrawing the 9mm from it's holster under my seat and laying my hand (with gun) in my lap was enough to remind him of urgent business he had elsewhere.

Once more I had to put my hand on it as I interrupted my own mugging in progress. Turned around and caught the guy sneaking up on me. Didn't draw but he stammered out a poor excuse for why he was there and left.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 26, 2009, 05:32 PM   #53
orionengnr

No, I never have, and I hope I never do. But reading these responses makes me believe the NRA's position that a gun drawn, but never fired, happens far nore often than any of us know.

Some of these posts make me shiver.
All of them make me very happy that I have my CHL, and make me wish that more people did.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:08 PM   #54
Jeremiah/Az

We live in a very remote area.My wife gets off work at 11:00 PM.A car with at least 3 males followed her closely over dirt roads,really 2 track trails,that only lead to our house,turning their lights off & on.I had turned the flood lights on that light up the barn area.The males followed her right up in the parking area.When she got out of her truck,she had her SS .38 where they cold see it.A quick donut & they were gone! I ask why she didn't call me on her cell phone.She said that she was so scared she didn't think of it.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:29 PM   #55
DougO83

^I just love it when people follow someone to my house, it happened to my gf more than once, with probable ill intent in mind. As it turns out there are usually more than a few good ol' boys willing to talk to them...

Matt 6:33
Old June 27, 2009, 04:31 PM   #56
phantom1984

a man who thought he new me came at me with a baseball bat. Turned out he was wrong. I drew my Beretta which was not chambered at the time and told him to get back in his truck and drive away. I bluffed him into thinking the safety was off and it was chambered. After that i put in a lot of extensive training on carrying with the safety off and a round chambered The next time i might not be able to bluff.
Old June 29, 2009, 05:59 PM   #57
N.H. Yankee

As a civilian, 6 times, and it takes a situation to get critical before I do, real critical. Wife has once also when I was TDY with the USAF, someone tried to gain entry to our home by forcing the door when he saw the gun he said oops, wrong house, my wife replied you bet your a$$ it is. Last seen running like h#ll.
Old June 29, 2009, 11:47 PM   #58
cloud8a

I was guarding an Apartment complex in New Orleans. I was standing on the side walk in front. The entire place for miles was a ghost town, this was a couple of weeks after Katrina. I saw a dog off in the distance trotting toward me. All the dogs you saw at that time were free, there was no one there to feed them or take care of them.

When he got close enough to me to notice I was there he closed his mouth and started veering in my direction. I drew my gun. I was not about to get bit by a dog who had been roaming the streets free post Katrina. There was no telling what he had been drinking or eating, and if the smell I smelled in the air everyday was any indication, it was not good.

For whatever reason he got within 10 feet of me and then got back on course never looking back. I had a XD-40 and would have fired if he would have gotten too close regardless if he was growling or barking. We were wearing masks outside back then.
Old June 30, 2009, 01:58 AM   #59
Piper Cub

I have been trained (CCW) to not pull my gun unless I want to kill someone. I hae killed nobody.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:10 AM   #60
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This post from this thread is why I carry 24/7. It's also why I train.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:21 AM   #61
Dingoboyx

No, I dont draw my hand guns....

I take photos of them I flunked art class

Nah, just joshin' ya

Here in Oz, if you draw a HG, you go directly to jail (Gaol).... do not pass go!.... do not collect $200!
Old June 30, 2009, 08:43 AM   #62
m.p.driver

Left a body building show in cleveland,three scumbags waiting just inside the door followed me and my wife out.After crossing over the street twice she finally got the idea that yes they probably were going to try to rob us.On a side street i reached into my camera bag and drew my BrowningHP,i didnt have film for the camera but nobody searches a camera bag.When they saw the Browning they stopped in their tracks and one pretended to look at the street signs.After a bout of telepathy they took off.As one drill sargent told me (We're not traing you to be victims)
Old June 30, 2009, 03:36 PM   #63
ronto

No, I never had to and hope I never will, but if I do...

Drawing a weapon is a serious decision and if the situation calls for drawing a weapon it also calls for pulling the trigger.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old June 30, 2009, 03:38 PM   #64
Zilmo

Quote:
Drawing a weapon is a serious decision and if the situation calls for drawing a weapon it also calls for pulling the trigger.
Can't say I agree with that.
Old June 30, 2009, 03:42 PM   #65
Big Ugly Tall Texan

When I was a small town cop

I drew my gun three times and pointed it at individuals. Twice, it was the same idiot.

Never had to shoot anybody. Once they saw that .45 and the look in my eyes, they immediately gave up and complied with all instructions.

I have been in houses many times serving narcotics search warrants with a 12 guage in my hands, but didn't have any definite target.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old June 30, 2009, 04:04 PM   #66
markj

Many years ago I was dating this really hot gal, she was something to look at for sure. In her apartment complex was a guy that kinda stalked her, she went after his car with a screwdriver that I didnt know about. I get over to pick her up, we was in her place till after dark then we was going to go eat. I went out to get my truck and come to the door for her as it was a bit away from her building. I get to the truck this guy pops up out of no where with a gun in hand. I had the door open as I was getting into the truck, he was aiming for muy head when I pulled a .38 out of the truck hammer back finger on trigger aimed for his head. He smiled dropped the weapon to his side and said it is a toy gun. I almost shot him dead right there. Over a scratch on his car from a gal. I broke it off with her not wanting all that drama in my life.

When I was a bit younger I lived in a bad part of town, rent was affoedable. My niece came over and soon had all the boys hot after her, one said he was going to burn the house cause she wont go out with him. I ask him what that has to do with me, soon a gang of 30 or so guys was there wanting to kick my rear end for messing with their homey. I had a 22 rifle on my porch so I picked it up. Cops came and dispersed the crowd, we moved to a better location.

I was working the bar, was a bouncer, a gal I knew came up asked me for help, her date was going to get hurt by these 5 guys. I go over to their table to have a chat, I see a sawed off under a guys coat, I reached right in and grabbed it out. Had em all empty pockets, then walked em out the back way. Never saw em again her date moved to Minn she ended up with me, my first wife, she passed away at the age of 31 from cancer.
Old June 30, 2009, 04:12 PM   #67
ronto

Zilmo,
The point is: "use it or lose it". I won't draw a weapon on anyone who gives me a cockeyed look or verbal threat. Only when my or some innocent party's life is in IMMEDIATE danger and there is no other option available.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old June 30, 2009, 08:36 PM   #68
Composer_1777

Quote:
The point is: "use it or lose it". I won't draw a weapon on anyone who gives me a cockeyed look or verbal threat. Only when my or some innocent party's life is in IMMEDIATE danger and there is no other option available
I think if you are being assaulted in any way it might be best to give a verbal warning, then if the assault continues, draw the gun to diffuse the situation. I don't cary a concealed weapon (just have a gun in my car with a mag hidden) and i live in new orleans and none of these situations have happened to me.

I never feel like i need a concealed weapon against a ferral dog. A dog can be defeated with basic animal psychology or combat skill.
I agree some of these instances might have a bit of overreaction involved.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:29 PM   #69
Uncle Billy

I pulled a gun on an intent Doberman that, if he had taken a clamp on my leg, I would have shot. He wasn't a feral dog, he was someone's pet that was let loose from a lead. I was in no position to psych the dog out, or wrestle with him while he chewed on me or my 6 yr old son, who was at hand and if the dog pitched onto him or me I would have had no time and no reason to "dog whisper" the Doberman out of his intent.

As it was, and so often happens (read all these entries. How many include actually firing the weapon?), my intent and means to end the threat against me (were it to escalate past enduring) were all that was required- the dog's owner saw what was to happen if he didn't take a role, and so ended my threat to his dog by ending the dog's threat to me, and had he failed and the dog attacked me or my son, he correctly understood I would have had to end it with the means I had, which weren't that the dog listened to my commands as it did the owner's, or that I was a "dog whisperer" or a black belt in Karate. The right ending occurred, mostly because I presented an unwillingness to submit and a willingness to take drastic means instead, which were made very clear to the one who could end the situation with the best outcome, which he did.

What's the purpose of a concealed carry of a weapon if it isn't defense of one's self and those one is responsible for? Ought I to have let the dog do what he wanted to me and/or my son so as to not have to draw my gun? Then why would I have the gun in the first place? You wanna argue with a determined Doberman with his teeth bared? Go ahead.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:43 PM   #70
Composer_1777

[Quote]What's the purpose of a concealed carry of a weapon if it isn't defense of one's self and those one is responsible for? Ought I to have let the dog do what he wanted to me and/or my son so as to not have to draw my gun? Then why would I have the gun in the first place? You wanna argue with a determined Doberman with his teeth bared? Go ahead.[Quote]

Me, personally i don't feel threatened by dogs, i don't have kids to protect though. I don't think the dog would have attacked you.
Old June 30, 2009, 11:30 PM   #71
fawcettlee

I wasn't there...

So I can't say it was wrong or not.
However, my dobie's teeth were almost always bared when he was running. Even though he was the friendliest pooch in the park, his handicap was that he looked scary even though he only wanted to lick your face. He looooved little kids and was very patient with them. Dobermans spoil you with their intelligence, loyalty, playfulness and love.
Old July 1, 2009, 02:24 AM   #72
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Drawing a weapon is a serious decision
It doesn't have to be too serious. In this one I am a cowboy. You can tell by my hat. It even has a pony in it. How serious can it be with a pony in it?

Old July 1, 2009, 04:19 AM   #73
evan1293

I was at a gas station in town around midnight or so when a what looked like to be a crack head pulls up, blocking my vehicle's exit and asks for money. I was outside of my truck pumping gas when the crackhead approached me. I had a glock 27 in my front coat pocket. I didn't pull it out but I got real close to doing so and my hand was on it ready to go. The encounter started off friendly enough but after several refusals to help on my part, he became beligerent. He began pacing back and forth between me and his vehicle. I believed, and still do, that he was debating whether or not to retrieve a weapon from his car. His demeanor, and actions were indicating that he was about to get violent. As several cars started to pass by in front of the gas station, thankfully, he seemed to come to his senses and decided to just hop in his car and take off.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:47 AM   #74
Uncle Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
Me, personally i don't feel threatened by dogs, i don't have kids to protect though. I don't think the dog would have attacked you.
Maybe, maybe not, there's no way to know without guessing. That's why I drew the Walther and got ready-when my instincts told me it was prudent to do so- when the dog alerted on my son and me and began running our way with his head down and teeth bared. I wouldn't have shot the dog until there was no doubt his intent was to attack and bite my son or me, which means I wouldn't have shot him until he had actually made a lunge or a leap at me or was on the verge of doing so (I put myself between the dog and my son and would have done whatever was needed to preserve that position). Waiting until he was that close made the situation more critical but I had taken a stance and had aim on the dog well before it got to that point. I didn't want to shoot before I clearly had justification for doing so, but getting ready to do so before it became necessary had 2 effects- it gave me enough time to keep ahead of the situation; and it announced to the dog's owner what was pending in enough time for him to intervene if he could. As it turned out, he was able to call the dog off, so whether he would have bloodied me or not is uncertain, and irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawcettlee
...However, my dobie's teeth were almost always bared when he was running. Even though he was the friendliest pooch in the park, his handicap was that he looked scary even though he only wanted to lick your face. He looooved little kids and was very patient with them. Dobermans spoil you with their intelligence, loyalty, playfulness and love.
There have been too many cases of vicious dog attacks that were followed by "He's never done that before" and "He's a loving, gentle dog". It's okay with me if someone loves their dog and thinks he's an angel of benevolence, but it's not okay to handle their dog in a way that subjects the rest of us to the accuracy of that emotion and so violates the city ordinance to keep their dog leashed at all times in public areas. I don't have any confidence in any dog owner's conviction that his dog is harmless, and I also have no confidence in the good nature of any dog I don't know, especially one of a breed that's often used as an attack dog and has a few tons of bite force. I DO have confidence in my own judgement, and the reliability of a well-maintained Walther and the efficacy of Silvertip ammunition.

Last edited by Uncle Billy; July 1, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old July 1, 2009, 10:20 AM   #75
Composer_1777

Uncle Billy - You have really valid points and I guess it's all up to the person to determine a dog's intent.

Tags
self defense