The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 18, 2006, 02:24 PM   #51
oldbillthundercheif

Pizza? Nope.

Back when I lived in Chicago I used to keep a fairly short, folding-stock 12ga situated diagonally in a clean extra-extra large pizza box lodged between my trashcan and my kitchen cabinets. It looked like it was just trash waiting for trash-day...
Old August 18, 2006, 03:45 PM   #52
GreyFox

I think the book idea should be upgraded a lil bit, w/ velcro or something of that nature.. if someone does sweep your shelf atleast if your gun book falls it wont open, so someone would have to take time looking through the books... and if you need it in a hurry its only velcro...under the couch im sure was a cool intstall, but i have seen couched get flipped and stuff.. i dunno that just doesn't seem safe enough... and i liked the other idea about having a holster mounted on the bed frame, or somewhere siimilar you can just holster your gun and flash light while you sleep... and if you had one of the holsters w/a extra mag pouch you could even have a spare mag ready or leave just the loaded mag in the extra pouch so you don't have to worry about a accidental discharge at night wether from your sleep walking self or whatever weird thing could happen. I personally think of a safe as being a place to keep guns,.. when im home i generally keep my gun on me or close... then at night when my g/f is over i have to keep the gun in the safe shes not really into firearms except when she is at the range ( i dunno, shes a woman, if you can explain please do) so when shes over i don't have one on the night stand,> then ethier way in the morning when i am leaving for work i lock everything up in the safe and away goes the key, Im paranoid about someone stealing my firearms... and ESPECIALLY paranoid about someone using my own against me. IE someone happens to get to my house right before i do and i walk in to my own sig in my face...
Old August 18, 2006, 08:22 PM   #53
Gunfighter45cal

1- In the closet, on a CHEAP plastic hanger (easily broken), (through the trigger guard, no round in chamber), covered with a button up shirt.
2- Under the towels in the master bath.
Old August 18, 2006, 10:54 PM   #54
Sriracha

Great thread. I'll maybe use the cereal box idea for storing when I'm out of town. I was otherwise thinking of putting my gun in a watertight container in my dishwasher along with some silica gel.

Sriracha.
Old August 19, 2006, 11:54 AM   #55
Don H

If you have access, on TOP of the dishwasher is an option.
Old August 19, 2006, 09:31 PM   #56
Anthony2

Bed frame holstering...

Ichiro- Look at Diamond Sentry Distributors. They have a product called the "Night Sentry" which fits between the mattress and boxspring. While I personally have no experience with it, I plan to purchase one in the near future. Based upon the ad blurb given, it will accomodate any holster, a flashlight, and either a stun gun, mace or a cell phone.

Hope that helps.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old August 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #57
Dreadnought

I was thinking...

I saw somebody posted about a shotgun in a pizza box looking like trash, maybe the burglar is a little hungry and looking for some pizza crusts and gets curious, out falls a gun. How about under the bag in a rubbish bin? I don't think criminals would think to find anything valuable at the bottom of the trash. At least as a place to leave an unloaded gun.
I would at least take the gun apart and hide pieces concealed in random areas of the house/ apartment.
Old August 20, 2006, 02:05 AM   #58
death2twinkys

What use is a gun thats scattered all over the house?
Maybe as an anti-theft deterant, but I'm thinking he plans on using that shotty on a BG. Most of the posts are leaning that way from what i have read.
Wachowskis: No, who are they made for?
Designer: Wankers.
Wachowskis: Our wankers in this film want Desert Eagles.
Designer: Your film.

Last edited by death2twinkys; August 20, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old August 20, 2006, 02:33 AM   #59
oldbillthundercheif

The trashcan / shotgun-pizza area was directly to the side of my preferred seating area in the apartment. Also, it was a fairly small apartment so it was never too far away no matter where I was. It was more for low-key easy access than theft prevention.

Be sure to use a clean pizza box or your firearm will be lubricated with pepperoni grease...
Old August 20, 2006, 08:37 AM   #60
joab

I keep coming back to see if Sulaco2 is going to expand on the pest control question/comment.
Old August 20, 2006, 09:07 AM   #61
revjen45

I no longer belong to a patch flying motorcycle club or live in the DPRK so I don't hide guns throughout the house any more. I do however ALWAYS have 1 or 2 on my person. Mr. Steyr is OWB @ 4 o'clock, and, yes, I have had people comment on it. Who cares? The rest of my battery is hidden in my safe.
Old August 21, 2006, 12:39 PM   #62
Anthony2

New creative hiding place.....

I met a woman today who's designing a holster for a derringer that will go between her uh.............mammary glands......

I feel sorry for the b/g she turns on.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old August 21, 2006, 01:20 PM   #63
Ichiro

Thanks Anthony. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Ichiro- Look at Diamond Sentry Distributors. They have a product called the "Night Sentry" which fits between the mattress and boxspring. While I personally have no experience with it, I plan to purchase one in the near future. Based upon the ad blurb given, it will accomodate any holster, a flashlight, and either a stun gun, mace or a cell phone.

Hope that helps.
Old August 21, 2006, 02:32 PM   #64
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
Actually have used 3 different hiding places over the years......
1) In a inside jacket pocket on a jacket on a hook in the closet.

2) On top of a small refrig and TV built into an entertainment center.

3) Under the skirt of a spare toilet paper girl in master bath where no guests go.
Old August 21, 2006, 02:58 PM   #65
Dan M.

Bed frame mounting

Had to do SOMEthing with the crappy slide holster that Springfield gives out with their XDs. No little kids around, night time usage only.
Old August 21, 2006, 04:58 PM   #66
wolfy692005

great ideas here, i have tried the fake picture, the easy open safe, regular safe, in the night stand and the book safe, but your guys are really thinking ..
awesome thread
Old August 23, 2006, 03:33 PM   #67
CyBuzz

Safes

Even though my 3yo son can recite the eddie eagle 'What to do if you see a gun', I still keep all my guns locked up in safes. 1 in the nightstand with pushbutton combo with my XD45 Tactical( had to brag, it's new) at ready (Mag Light next to the nightstand). All the other pistols and long guns are locked in a safe in the basement along with ammo, knives and any other 'dangerous' items.
--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
Old August 24, 2006, 07:40 PM   #68
Ichiro

Anthony,

I looked at the "Night Sentry" and I don't think it will work for me. If I remember correctly from the picture, the flashlight mount is for one size only--a size that will not accomodate my Surefire. I think Dan's idea of mounting a cheap holster directly on to the bed frame is a better way to go for the gun. For the rest of the stuff (flashlight, cell phone), I'd be tempted to mount a length of actual belt to the bedframe and attach the other things with cheap nylon holsters.

I like that you can cover this stuff with blankets, etc., so the company does not form negative opinions about you when you give them a tour of the house.

My biggest concern is that my wife can access a firearm quickly if she ever needs to. She's not a big fan of locking the doors when she's home alone, and that worries me. Since I can't seem to get her to lock the doors at all times (despite my scolding and printing out stories of home invasions for her to read), I'd at least like her to have quick access to a weapon.

Next on my list is to have her take a CCW course and start carrying. If she accepts the idea, she'll always have a gun somewhat ready (if only in her purse), and that's way better than nothing. Locking the damned doors would be even better, but we're still working on that!
Old August 25, 2006, 02:35 AM   #69
death2twinkys

You could get doors that automatically lock when you shut them, like the ones schools and other gov buildings have. Just a thought. It would solve your problems, only thing is you would have to always have a key with you.
Wachowskis: No, who are they made for?
Designer: Wankers.
Wachowskis: Our wankers in this film want Desert Eagles.
Designer: Your film.
Old August 28, 2006, 04:10 PM   #70
ninemm

I like the book and velcro idea, but how do you hollow-out a book?
Old August 28, 2006, 04:23 PM   #71
tydephan

A dremel will work wonders on a book!
Old August 28, 2006, 05:41 PM   #72
smooks75

I forgot
Old August 28, 2006, 06:35 PM   #73
Sriracha

May I suggest gluing the pages first, possibly by rubbing Elmer's glue into the edges?

The pages tend to slightly deform at the edge of the cut. If you do that to several hundred loose pages, your book will fan out and not close flat.

-Src.
Old August 28, 2006, 06:46 PM   #74
skeeter1

I don't have one of these (yet) but it looks like a good idea:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=290304

All of the others are going into the safe, but I like to keep one (.38Spl) handy, "just in case."
Old August 28, 2006, 07:03 PM   #75
Ichiro

That clock is pretty damm cool!