The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 12, 2019, 11:14 AM   #51
Elliottsdad

Quote:
I like my Glocks, they do what I want them to do
Glocks do work. I liked my Glock 17 and 26, for the most part. They were ultra-reliable, I'll happily give them that.
But they took forever and a day to release the Glock 43, the embarrassing unveiling of this .22, Gen 3 finger grooves are "perfection"/Gen 5 no finger grooves are "perfection": these are symptoms of the real problem, which is more apparent with each new legendary press release.
Glocks are good pistols (for the most part), but they're made by a company that employs incompetent boobs.
Old December 12, 2019, 11:14 AM   #52
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Of course the .22 is called a G44, and a .40 cal is called a G22.. so what would they call a .44 cal Glock?
why is a Sig 320 called a '320'? Cuz it took 319 tries before they got one that was reliable? Maybe should have been called a 321...

->

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 12, 2019, 12:22 PM   #53
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
You would think they would learn something from Taurus, and the 16+1 capacity of t he TX22.
I would not consider the Taurus TX22 a "proven" pistol by any stretch of imagination and it certainly has it's own problems with poor qulity control crappy barrels resulting in horrendous leading and accuracy and slide wear.

Maybe Ruger, Browning, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Walther, SIG, and now Glock are on to something sticking with straight single stack magazine for .22 pistols for reliability and durability reasons.
Old December 12, 2019, 01:46 PM   #54
dogtown tom

Judging from the angst expressed by the Glockophobes in this thread I think Glock has another winner.

Quote:
Elliottsdad A 10 round trainer. For $400. What a "LEGENDARY" announcement. LOL.
Jesus, Glock has become a running joke.
No 10mm, no PCC, no 5.7 pistol: absolutely nothing new, exciting, or "legendary."
But its Glock, still stuck in the mid 90's. I guess I'm not surprised.
"LEGENDARY" because it's Glocks first rimfire pistol and first pistol not geared to self protection.

"Glock has become a running joke"....yup, all the way to the bank several times.

"5.7" It's dead Jim, it's dead.

"No 10mm".....uh, what?

Quote:
Elliottsdad There was a time when Glock was an innovative company.
Really? When?
Glock produced a reliable, simply designed, polymer pistol with large capacity magazine. None of which is truly innovative by itself. They have deviated little since the G17 was introduced.

On the other hand, SIG, Walther, S&W and others have been playing catch-up for decades trying to win market share back from Glock. Sig must have "innovated" five different plastic pistols that have little or no parts or magazine commonality between them. Same with S&W and CZ.

Quote:
sigarms228 I believe the very highly regarded CZ Kadet pistol and kit both have 10 round magazine capacity also. CZ must have found a compelling reason to do that along with Ruger, Browning, SIG conversion kits, and others.

IMO Glock was smart using a 10 round magazine in that tens of millions of firearm owners now live in states with magazine capacity restrictions. Glock may or third party suppliers come out with higher capacity magazines in the future. If Glock leaves it to third party suppliers and problems happen it is not Glock's problem to deal with.
This.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 13, 2019, 07:42 AM   #55
USNRet93

Quote:
these are symptoms of the real problem, which is more apparent with each new legendary press release.
Is the problem that Glock is selling too many guns, making too much money?
Quote:
"Glock has become a running joke"....yup, all the way to the bank several times.
I guess...shrug...Glocks are reliable, accurate, not expensive...have a TON of aftermarket 'stuff' for them...come in almost every handgun caliber there is...
Fills all sorts of 'niches', from civilian IWB carry to full size LEO/military use.

Not sure what else it's supposed to do, be 'prettier'..now THAT'S important(my hammer is SO pretty!!)....except it's called 'Glock', so I guess it's a 'symptom of a REAL problem', called a "Glock". I guess..I donno...

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 13, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old December 13, 2019, 08:57 AM   #56
AgedWarrior

I am not much for Glocks, so I don’t really care too much if they make a .22 or not. Lots of folks like Glocks and I am quite sure many will want this new pistol. But the rhetoric on this thread makes the whole Glock/no Glock thing absolutely hilarious! Is it a good trainer? Why only 10 round mags? On and on and on!
Old December 13, 2019, 09:40 AM   #57
DaleA

Speaking of hilarious...does no one remember the "Whose on First" Glock routine that supposed a Glock .22LR would get a model number of forty?

A transcript of it is here:
https://www.gunnuts.net/2009/12/09/whos-on-first/
Old December 13, 2019, 11:00 AM   #58
dogtown tom

Anyone making fun of Glock's model names hasn't paid much attention to the lunacy, yes lunacy of S&W.

S&W Model 22 wasn't a .22LR or ,22mag......but a .45acp and I don't recall nightmares over that.

S&W has taken great delight in a confusing if not idiotic means of naming their products.
As in:
Model 38....the Bodyguard
Model 49...also the Bodyguard
Those I get, same gun, but one is steel, the other alloy framed.

And then, after decades of calling those two revolvers "The Bodyguard", S&W comes out with a semiauto .380 called....wait for it.....the Bodyguard.

S&W takes great delight in reusing "Chiefs Special" and Military & Police/M&P.

And then there's the models simply identified by number.

And S&W isn't alone:
Beretta? 92, 92F, 92S, 92D, 92G, 92FS and the list goes on. Then there's the animal names (Jaguar, Cheetah, Bobcat, etc) that don't have the animal name on the gun!
HK? I can't count the number if times I transferred an HK pistol to someone that wasn't misidentified in the GunBroker ad. Just the USP has around eight different variants.
Colt? Not too bad on handguns, but you could make a hobby out of cataloging the various model names of AR15.........essentially the same rifle would have its name changed just to slide through California's list of bad evil black guns.
As in "Colt Match Target Competition II "..........eventually Cali caught on to the name game and started banning by features as well.

In comparison to other firearm manufacturers, Glock model naming system is pretty darn simple.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 13, 2019, 04:17 PM   #59
bill460

I'm not getting all the crying about, "Why only 10 rounds?".... Really? All of the top selling .22 rimfire semi autos all hold 10 rounds.

All Ruger Mark I, II, III, IV pistols are 10 rounds.

All Browning Buckmark pistols are 10 rounds.

Smith & Wesson Model 41, (one of the finest .22's ever made), 10 rounds.

Browning Medalist, Nomad, and Challenger 10 Rounds.

All High Standard .22 semi's 10 rounds.

So now Glock comes out with a 10 round .22 pistol, and it's somehow a bust because it only holds 10 rounds? I don't get it?
Old December 13, 2019, 10:39 PM   #60
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
I'm not getting all the crying about, "Why only 10 rounds?".... Really? All of the top selling .22 rimfire semi autos all hold 10 rounds.

All Ruger Mark I, II, III, IV pistols are 10 rounds.

All Browning Buckmark pistols are 10 rounds.

Smith & Wesson Model 41, (one of the finest .22's ever made), 10 rounds.

Browning Medalist, Nomad, and Challenger 10 Rounds.

All High Standard .22 semi's 10 rounds.

So now Glock comes out with a 10 round .22 pistol, and it's somehow a bust because it only holds 10 rounds? I don't get it?
I agree with you on all counts.

I suspect 15-round mags will be forthcoming (they're probably not reliable yet), but I am not in the least hung up on that.
Old December 14, 2019, 12:32 AM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I would not consider the Taurus TX22 a "proven" pistol by any stretch of imagination and it certainly has it's own problems with poor qulity control crappy barrels resulting in horrendous leading and accuracy and slide wear.
I was referring to the design with a 16 round magazine.
But on this note, it looks like Taurus hate is very much akin to Trump Derangement Syndrome. The haters seem to dig up something that most others never hear.
Every review of the Taurus TX22 I have read have been very positive. Along with my own personal experience. But I guess anything with the evil bull, and horrendous name Taurus just has to be bad because people on the internet that don't own one say so.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 14, 2019, 04:33 AM   #62
bill460

Cheapshooter, you are exactly right. It's the same with Glock. Listening to people badmouth Glock over this new .22 pistol, is a bit like listening to people badmouthing Trump. It's all based on biased hatred, and jealousy of their success.

Because they hate their success. They know there is zero defense against it. They know Glock will sell millions of these things. Just as they all know Trump is going to be reelected. They will all be sitting on the sidelines, hoping and praying it fails, and they have a massive recall.

So they can all start screaming and carrying on, "How Glock blew it". Or some such nonsense. Just like they are all hoping Trump will be impeached, or lose against one of those nit wits running against him. Neither will happen.

What will happen is the success of both will continue for a long time to come. Because both will perform well. And success is ALWAYS the best revenge for someone who is irritated by it. Both Glock and Trump have proven this..... And will again....

All much to the chagrin of the naysayers. Of which all will keep on with their endless crying. Because buying something else, like voting for someone else, just isn't enough for them. Their hatred runs too deep.
Old December 14, 2019, 09:34 AM   #63
Carl the Floor Walker

I am not a fan of Glocks. Do not dislike them either. But I like this pistol. Bravo for Glock to come out with a trainer in their most popular model. And I am a big fan and a big believer in training with a 22.cal. Most especially for Point and shoot skills. I also have a feeling Glock worked hard on making this gun to be totally reliable.
I do not see anything NOT to be impressed by. Looks like a great gun, and if it is a solid performer than I want one.
Old December 14, 2019, 11:13 AM   #64
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Anyone making fun of Glock's model names hasn't paid much attention to the lunacy, yes lunacy of S&W.

S&W Model 22 wasn't a .22LR or ,22mag......but a .45acp and I don't recall nightmares over that.

S&W has taken great delight in a confusing if not idiotic means of naming their products.
As in:
Model 38....the Bodyguard
Model 49...also the Bodyguard
Those I get, same gun, but one is steel, the other alloy framed.

And then, after decades of calling those two revolvers "The Bodyguard", S&W comes out with a semiauto .380 called....wait for it.....the Bodyguard. S&W takes great delight in reusing "Chiefs Special" and Military & Police/M&P."
100% correct. And don't forget about the whole Model 39 / 59 Series of semi autos. You literally require a chart to figure them all out!

Last edited by bill460; December 14, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old December 14, 2019, 11:17 AM   #65
223 shooter

Quote:
If they make an MOS version I would most likely buy one. Recently picked up a G34 MOS and really like it with the Vortex Venom.

The G44 is bashed over and over for not being a high capacity 22 on all the boards I have visited. That is the least important factor to me and I am with the above quote.

The G44 will be great practice in learning to master the Glock trigger without going poor buying ammo for centerfire Glocks.
Old December 14, 2019, 11:51 AM   #66
bill460

The problem is it is very difficult to make a double stack magazine that feeds reliably with a rimmed cartridge. In fact, it's almost impossible. If it could be done reliably, it would have by now.

If you look at ALL of the detachable magazine fed .22 rifles and pistols, all of them are single stack. In a handgun that limits capacity due to handle length. Don't forget the magazine also has to hold the compressed spring and follower underneath the single stacked 10 rounds.

Even if the handle frame was long enough, it would not allow for the curvature the magazine would require in order to feed reliably if it was over 10 rounds. Again due to the fact the cartridge is rimmed.

If you look at the high capacity .22 magazines that fit a lot of the Savage .22 rifles, this curvature is very pronounced. It simply would not fit into the handle of a .22 pistol.

Glock will most likely come out with a 15 round capacity magazine..... IF they can make it reliable. That might be a very big if, because it is no easy challenge. And Glock has an excellent reputation for reliability. They don't want to damage it by putting out a troublesome magazine.
Old December 14, 2019, 12:53 PM   #67
smee78

+1 Solid meh from me too. I already have a few 10 round 22LR pistols and there is nothing more added in this package to get me to spend my money on this particular model so. No thanks.
Old December 14, 2019, 01:42 PM   #68
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
I was referring to the design with a 16 round magazine.
But on this note, it looks like Taurus hate is very much akin to Trump Derangement Syndrome. The haters seem to dig up something that most others never hear.
Every review of the Taurus TX22 I have read have been very positive. Along with my own personal experience. But I guess anything with the evil bull, and horrendous name Taurus just has to be bad because people on the internet that don't own one say so.
I was also referring to the design of the TX22 magazine which is not a proven design yet. Quality control at Taurus is well known to be spotty to be kind and Glock is not going to risk their well deserved reputation for producing reliable and durable handguns based on what a manufacturer such as Taurus does.

I am not going to respond to political dialogue per forum rules but yes there have been problems with the Taurus TX22 and that evidence can be found on threads at the High Road, with numerous pictures, and Taurus users forum. Of course not everyone experiences them but IMO enough to be a concern especially given the way Taurus customer service has been handling it per reports by Taurus TX22 owners.
Old December 14, 2019, 02:42 PM   #69
Bill DeShivs

Keltec has been making reliable 30 shot .22WMR pistols and rifles for years. They have recently introduced 33 shot .22LR pistols/rifles and a compact 17 shot .22LR pistol.
Old December 14, 2019, 04:19 PM   #70
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Keltec has been making reliable 30 shot .22WMR pistols and rifles for years. They have recently introduced 33 shot .22LR pistols/rifles and a compact 17 shot .22LR pistol.
The performance of the original 30 shot Kel-Tec .22 WMR semi auto pistols is spotty at best. They can have a lot of feeding issues depending on ammo.

Also, many have had issues with the magazines not feeding if filled to capacity, (30 rounds). While their performance has improved somewhat over the years, I doubt a company like Glock would be satisfied with it.
Old December 15, 2019, 07:40 AM   #71
USNRet93

Quote:
While their(KelTec)performance has improved somewhat over the years, I doubt a company like Glock would be satisfied with it.
This says a lot about today’s and the very recent past of ‘some’ new handguns that have been introduced...’
‘Good enough’, cheaper to fix/warranty/soft recall, comes to mind rather than design/test a better gun in the first place. Some companies rush to compete rather than force companies to compete with them..

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 16, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old December 15, 2019, 08:32 AM   #72
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
This says a lot about today’s and the very recent past of ‘some’ new handguns that have been introduced...’
‘Good enough’, cheaper to fix/warranty/soft recall, comes to mind rather than design/test a better gun in the first place. Some companies rush to compete rather than force companies compete with them..
This is very true. Firearm recalls were very rare 50 years ago. Now they're almost all but expected on new models. Yes, some of this is due to fear of legal litigation.

But most of it comes from having a, "good enough" attitude toward their products. And unfortunately for today's consumers, "good enough" never actually seems to be.
Old December 15, 2019, 10:38 PM   #73
Bill DeShivs

All of my (9, I think) Keltec firearms work just fine.
Old December 16, 2019, 05:41 AM   #74
Spats McGee
Staff

Upon further consideration, it's dawned on me that the G44 represents a conceptual departure from norms* for Glock, though. It's the first Glock pistol (that I can think of) that wasn't chambered in a "suitable defensive caliber." Sure, you could carry a .22LR for self-defense, but it certainly wouldn't be ideal. I can't think of anything Glock has ever built smaller than .380.

*To my mind, Glock's 'norms' have always been "polymer-framed, striker-fired and chambered in a suitable caliber for defensive purposes."
Old December 16, 2019, 07:02 AM   #75
Siggy-06

I've been seeing some preorder prices come down to $369 for the g44. If there isn't any issues or recalls, and the price comes down closer to $300, I'd consider picking one up.