The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 3, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Bud's Gun Shop's Cannon Oxbow Safe...

I stumbled upon the Cannon Oxbow AE22 safe from Bud's yesterday. The price of $550 for a Cannon really got my attention...

Appeared to have a mechanical lock. I HATE electronic pads. This is the only reason why I haven't taken heed to many members advice here on the Winchester safe offered from Sam's Club.

The only color available appears to be a matte black. Somewhat of a granite texture? I can live with that.

The weight is light enough to carry down to my basement with an appliance dolly. Hopefully the door can be removed to help shave the weight down during the move.

Cannon's warranty actually has my attention. Seems like if anything were to happen, they would take care of all the headaches.

Concerns?

1. Is it inexpensive, or cheap?
2. Warranty valid?
3. Better safes out there in this price range?
4. Is Cannon's safes made in China? If so, I won't buy. Taiwan? I might consider. Japan, Germany, Korea, etc. is acceptable. I would prefer American made, but this may be a pipe dream for the price range...

I've peeked through the archives and can't find this specific model mentioned. Any thoughts on this or others?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 4, 2007, 05:10 PM   #2
clayking

Can't answer your questions, but I just bought, from Sam's, made in the USA, a newer safe from Granite Security Products for 800 bucks. It is electronic, easy to use and will always store your combination, even if the battery goes dead, ten years later. 600 pounds, 50 minute fire ratind, black gloss, lifetime warranty, hinge locking bolts, easy to arrange shelves. I love it.................ck
Old November 4, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Baba Louie

http://www.cannonsafe.com/aboutus.nxg
They have a "Made in USA" graphic on their "About Us" page FWIW.

This site says they're a special made run of their Eagle line...
http://www.securitysafeoutlet.com/ca...roducts_id/180

But when you follow that link to the mfg link (Cannon Eagle) it does not have the "Made in USA" graphic found on their "About Us" web page... so it'd be worth a call to the mfg if that's a major issue, to see who and where this line is mfg.
Chances are, if the price is low, it's low for a reason and was outsourced to a place where labor is dirt cheap.
(A rhetorical question, just cause I'm like that... Where is your computer made? or TV, or stereo, etc. Mine is made in China...)
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 4, 2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Where is your computer made? or TV, or stereo, etc. Mine is made in China...)
I understand your question is rhetorical, yet will still reply for a reason...

TV-components from Japan, assembled in USA
computer-can't remember. It's almost 6yrs old.
Stereo-Indonesia

My reasoning? I may not be able to buy everything without being made in China, but I will make every reasonable effort in my good conscience to know if I am or not. How serious am I? Well, I recently bought a tool box that has Made in the USA stamped right on it. I paid dearly for it. But, I got the best tool box made on the market made by and assembled by an American. Not many toolbox manufacturers can say that...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 22, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

Did you ever buy the cannon safe?

I am looking at the same one at Bud's and was wanting opinions from folks that have this safe.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 22, 2008, 02:12 PM   #6
a1abdj

The lower priced Cannons are not made in the US. The only company that I'm aware of that builds sub $1,000 safes here in the US is Granite.

As far as Cannon's great warranty, you may want to read this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=337228

Specifically:

Quote:
well,.. I spoke to the operator over at Cannon just now. I tell her that I am leaving a message a day with the techs for almost 3 weeks, and nobody has contacted me...

she tells me to 'stop leaving messages' as the techs are too busy to deal with anyone as they have such a backlog of messages to listen to. Next she insists that every message will be replied to. I asked her how long the back log is, beyond the 3 weeks I am already waiting... she says 'I do not know.'
Old November 26, 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
handlebar

I just spoke with the rep from Cannon about the Oxbow safe. I own one. It was manufactured in 2007 and I have owned it since March of 2008. The walls are 8-10 gauge and the door is 3/16", which translates to between 6 and 7 gauge. the lock is mechanical. Where it was manufactured is dependent on the serial number. Mine was manufactured in San Bernardino, California based on Cannon records. I know this thread is old, but I hope it helps.