The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 21, 2016, 07:43 PM   #226
sgms

While I do not fear home invasion or break in where I live I do carry at home for a single reason, the grandkids. I never know when they may appear or if I will even be home or just the wife will be at the time they do come over so no guns loaded or otherwise are left lying anywhere around the house that is not locked up in one of the safes. The only loaded unlocked gun in the house is the one in my pocket in a pocket holster, the grands, aren't going to get ahold of my ccw if it is on me and out of their reach and sight.
Old December 22, 2016, 12:39 PM   #227
armoredman

Quote:
If there are 14,249 murders from all causes, and 21,334 deaths from firearm suicides, how much studying do you need to do to determine that 21,334 is bigger than 14,249?
FBI stats, generally trustworthy. CDC stats, not so much, proven in the past which is why Congress defunded them from firearms related research.
Second, you are comparing apples and oranges - people who are determined to commit suicide are at a 100% risk of suicide. People who are NOT looking to commit suicide are at a 0% risk of suicide. Suicide is a crime with no outside influences, unlike violent crime, which is what we were addressing, so it is completely outside the purview of any argument about carrying a firearm for self defense, unless you are afraid you will have to kill yourself to prevent you from killing yourself?? The numbers are absolutely meaningless.
It's the same as pointing out the suicide rates in several developed countries are far in excess of the United States, with far lower firearm ownership rates, looks great on paper, but really doesn't address much other than people who are bound and determined to kill themselves will find a way to do it. We only give inmates on suicide with 10 squares of toilet paper at a time, because and inmate committed suicide by shoving toilet paper down his throat until he choked to death. Shall we register toilet paper?
Old December 22, 2016, 01:04 PM   #228
Jleonard

Lots of good opinions and points made in this thread.
I still do not and don't plan on carrying while at home.
Loaded firearm in reach while in bed is as far as I plan to go right now.
Old December 22, 2016, 03:11 PM   #229
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Loaded firearm in reach while in bed is as far as I plan to go right now.
That should suffice if you only happen to need it while in bed.
Old December 22, 2016, 05:17 PM   #230
armoredman

Everyone is free to chose their own path, and I wish each of you and them well in the game of life. Peace, out.
Old December 23, 2016, 07:37 AM   #231
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman
FBI stats, generally trustworthy. CDC stats, not so much, proven in the past which is why Congress defunded them from firearms related research.
Feel free to disagree with any data that does not fit your preconceived notions. Do you have any proof of the CDC juggling their data? Note that their is a big difference between the data and any possible conclusions drawn from it. The Kellerman study (seriously flawed), which seems to upset you so much, (a study focusing on gun HOMOCIDES (not suicides) in the home), drew some extremely flawed conclusions from the way he juggled the data. However, I've never seen any disputes on the actual data provided by the CDC.

Quote:
people who are determined to commit suicide are at a 100% risk of suicide. People who are NOT looking to commit suicide are at a 0% risk of suicide.
It would appear that you have a strange definition of "risk". You seem to believe that no one is at risk of suicide until they decide to commit suicide. Applying your methodology to violent crime, that means that no one is at risk of a violent crime until they are actually under attack. People who are being attacked are at 100% risk of violent crime, while those who are NOT being attacked are currently at 0% risk of violent crime.

Quote:
Suicide is a crime with no outside influences, unlike violent crime, which is what we were addressing, so it is completely outside the purview of any argument about carrying a firearm for self defense, unless you are afraid you will have to kill yourself to prevent you from killing yourself?? The numbers are absolutely meaningless.
There are literally thousands of articles and studies (99% NOT from the CDC!) tying outside influences like bullying to suicides. If you are carrying a gun in an attempt to preserve your life, you should also be aware of the risk from self-injury. In the real world, killed is killed no matter who pulls the trigger.

Quote:
It's the same as pointing out the suicide rates in several developed countries are far in excess of the United States, with far lower firearm ownership rates, looks great on paper, but really doesn't address much other than people who are bound and determined to kill themselves will find a way to do it.
Kind of the same as pointing out that several developed countries have crime rates in excess of the United States with lower firearm ownership rates, or that several developed countries have crime rates below that of the United States with higher firearm ownership rates, etc, etc. Really doesn't address much other than that people who are bound and determined to commit violent crimes will find a way to do it.

Quote:
We only give inmates on suicide with 10 squares of toilet paper at a time, because and inmate committed suicide by shoving toilet paper down his throat until he choked to death. Shall we register toilet paper?
Your house, your decision. If you have a higher percentage of people in your home dying by ingesting toilet paper than by gun deaths, limiting and registering your toilet paper would probably be a wise decision!
Old December 23, 2016, 08:47 AM   #232
m&p45acp10+1

I pocket carry so as long as I am dressed I have my gun in my pocket. If someone came in on me naked it would leave me liable for a lawsuit for traumatizing the poor intruder with the sight of a fat naked person. (Humor attempt).
Old December 23, 2016, 08:25 PM   #233
amd6547

I've followed this thread, and truely believe it should be put to bed.
Those that can't conceive of carrying at home going round and round with those who can't conceive of not carrying.
Old December 24, 2016, 03:13 AM   #234
Tinbucket

Should you carry your pistol at home

Get so use to it, that you won't think to remove it.
Just don't decide to store it away, in the refrigerator, and the phone, in your holster.
As to likely hood of suicide, that is a strange subject, to almost everyone.
Putting your gun away at home won't likely impact such a decision.
S---- happens and I'm not about to conduct myself in an alien manner be cause someone the other side, of the country, might decide to end it all.
Using that logic better lock up all the knives, hammers and power tools and small electrical appliances, and throw away the keys to the car.
My firearms are comfortable for the most part and I have kept wearing it until I went to bed. If company is coming, I will put it away unless it is my Brothers and Sisters etc. They all carry. I might leave it on if there is an anti gun type coming to visit. Like to yank their chain. No one is ever going to be frightened, I think. I don't look like a black hat cowboy.
Speaking of which I may wear my Cowboy Rig around the house to see if I can make it more comfortable.
And before you think it, I don't leave firearm where kids,of any age can get access to them.
Old December 24, 2016, 02:53 PM   #235
IrishGuy824

I don't see where locking your gun(s) up in a safe is going to prevent you from blowing your brains out if you decide one day that you want to end your life. You can just as easily get your gun out of the safe if you decide to do it. Suicide is typically not something done on a whim, there is normally a lot of thought about doing it and also it's normally somewhat planned out when the choice to end it is made.

I can see locking up your firearms if you have small children in the home and the gun isn't going to actually be on your person. To me, that's common sense (and not everyone has common sense).

But if you're like me and there aren't kids running around your house, then I see no problem with carrying inside the house/keeping a gun close by. You never know when something bad is going to happen, and if you're carrying you won't forget it if you have to run out for something real quick.

Si vic pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war. These are words to live by.
Old December 24, 2016, 08:03 PM   #236
FireForged

Quote:
That should suffice if you only happen to need it while in bed
and if a gaggle of badguys can suddenly appear inside your home before you can casually walk into the next room and retrieve a firearm, I would say that substantial security related oversights have already occurred.
Old December 25, 2016, 12:01 AM   #237
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
...and if a gaggle of badguys can suddenly appear inside your home before you can casually walk into the next room and retrieve a firearm, I would say that substantial security related oversights have already occurred.
I don't know what you mean by "substantial security related oversights", but think about it.

Even with reinforced doors, someone can enter your house suddenly and tumultuously in a matter of seconds. Should someone do that, it is doubtful that his subsequent move ment will occur casually.

Depending upon the location of the defender relative to the point of ingress and relative to the location of the firearm, it may not be possible to retrieve the weapon timely.

In any circumstance, we would not expect one to "casually walk into the next room and retrieve a firearm" if a violent criminal actor has effected unlawful entry, or even if such an individual is attempting to break in.
Old December 25, 2016, 12:14 AM   #238
K_Mac

I'm with you OldMarksman. Of course we've been round this circle a couple of times now...