The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many guns do you carry?
1 gun 101 31.56%
1 gun and a reload(s) 121 37.81%
2 guns 41 12.81%
2 guns and reloads for each 41 12.81%
I'm a walking arsenal... 16 5.00%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2014, 08:19 AM   #101
Nanuk

Glock and a shield. Reload for each. If I take a job, or have to go to a high threat environment then its 2 Glocks and multiple reloads.

It's not paranoia if they ARE out to get you.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 8, 2014, 10:54 AM   #102
Have gun-will travel

It all depends on where I am or where I am going.I ALWAYS have atleast 2 guns and reloads for both. If I am going to Durham,NC ( cesspool of NC)I carry 3 handguns
Old September 8, 2014, 11:09 AM   #103
manta49

Thankfully I don't feel the need to carry any.
Old September 9, 2014, 09:00 PM   #104
baddarryl

When I work it is a CM9 in the pocket and a p89 with an extra mag in the truck. After work G19 IWB at all times.
Old September 11, 2014, 07:43 AM   #105
Skans

HECK NO! One gun. How much crap can a man carry without having to carry a purse?
Old September 11, 2014, 12:30 PM   #106
Toney

I've always got two, if I'm out I carry three.

Got a naa in a buckle, lcp in pocket, and a cm9 iwb with a extra mag in a pouch.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:04 AM   #107
Blacktimberwolf

The most time I carry a Walther PPK in .32ACP, because it's a small, reliable gun, sometimes I carry a derringer in .357 mag., for more than 40 years it was absolutely sufficient for edc and selfdefense.
Old September 13, 2014, 05:09 PM   #108
fastbolt

How did this thread get resurrected after almost 6 years?!?

I mean, it started the year before my retirement, and I've been retired since '09. I must've found the thread topic uninteresting back then, I suppose, not seeing where I've voted or posted in it.

I don't make it my business to go out of the way to intentionally denigrate the equipment choices of other folks. If it's lawful, and it's within policy (for those folks who are bound by such), I don't particularly care what other folks choose to do in this regard.

I do have a care about them being totally familiar with their chosen supplemental equipment, including carry method(s) ... and be just as well versed and proficient in its actual use as they are (hopefully) with their primary equipment.

That's where a lot of folks seem to have trouble, though. I've seen any number of guys and gals demonstrate lesser familiarity, comfort and even skillset with a "secondary" weapon. Is that what you really want when the situation becomes so dire that you're resorting to the "backup" weapon?

All of that being said, I'm rather flexible in my choices of equipment and the conditions under which I feel carrying it is prudent & practical.

No, I seldom carry a secondary weapon, especially now that I'm retired. Have I? Yes, both before and after retirement. As a general practice? Nope.
Old September 13, 2014, 05:44 PM   #109
mannyCA

One is none, two is one and three is....well, you know the rest.
Old September 13, 2014, 07:15 PM   #110
fastbolt

Quote:
One is none, two is one and three is....well, you know the rest.
Okay, but some practical context is needed when it comes to a proverb or maxim.

Otherwise, they'd be issuing infantry a pair of rifles, cars would come with 4 spare tires, etc.

One of the dismaying things I've sometimes noted is that there's seemingly no shortage of folks who are ardent about carrying a back-up/secondary weapon, but not particularly ardent about actually improving their skillset or training to use their primary weapon, let alone their second (or third, fourth or whatever) weapon, under chaotic and demanding conditions.

Sometimes folks can have a funny emphasis on what they feel is important, and the conditions and circumstances in which it may be important.

Then again, I used to know one guy whose idea of a back-up weapon was a Colt Commander, and another guy who carried a M19 snub nose, both on-duty. I don't think either guy carried them off-duty, however.

Also, I sometimes wonder (idly, not giving it that much thought ) how some folks think they need to carry more weapons and ammunition on their person, when going about their daily lives, than most cops are issued or authorized to carry.

Not my problem, though.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:05 AM   #111
PawPaw

Quote:
One of the dismaying things I've sometimes noted is that there's seemingly no shortage of folks who are ardent about carrying a back-up/secondary weapon, but not particularly ardent about actually improving their skillset or training to use their primary weapon, let alone their second (or third, fourth or whatever) weapon, under chaotic and demanding conditions.
This^^

No human skill erodes as quickly as handgun shooting, and it behooves the acolytes to maintain proficiency through regular practice.

For myself, my preferred daily carry piece is an old J-frame that I've carried for several decades, both on duty and off. It's a constant companion

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 14, 2014, 09:56 AM   #112
Toney

The biggest reason I carry more than one is, it would just be silly to shoot a dollar at a varmint or to just scare a dog away
Old September 16, 2014, 09:58 AM   #113
Skarekrow88

Glock 30 SF with a spare mag and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 with a spare mag as a backup
Old September 16, 2014, 10:26 AM   #114
sigpro2340

1 gun at a time suits me fine.
Old September 16, 2014, 09:00 PM   #115
Dragline45

Quote:
HECK NO! One gun. How much crap can a man carry without having to carry a purse?
I gotta admit, sometimes I am rather envious that it's acceptable for women to carry purses but not men. While my manhood would be lost, it sure would be nice to be able to tote around a bag with a number of things I otherwise wouldn't carry. Yup, you heard it right, I sometimes wish I had a man purse
Old September 17, 2014, 07:42 AM   #116
jr24

1 for me, personally. Though I've often considered a j-frame in the weakside pocket and training left-handed draw/shooting.

But then where would I put my phone?
Old September 17, 2014, 04:32 PM   #117
buckhorn_cortez

Concealed carry law in New Mexico allows one (1) gun concealed. Therefore, in NM you would have to carry one gun open carry and the other gun concealed if you wanted to carry two guns.
Old September 17, 2014, 10:00 PM   #118
JN01

Quote:
I gotta admit, sometimes I am rather envious that it's acceptable for women to carry purses but not men. While my manhood would be lost, it sure would be nice to be able to tote around a bag with a number of things I otherwise wouldn't carry. Yup, you heard it right, I sometimes wish I had a man purse
You could carry a backpack. Fill it with a cordless drill, rope, and other manly stuff that will be about as useful on a daily basis as all the crap women cram in their purses.
Old September 18, 2014, 11:02 AM   #119
Frank Ettin
Staff

I think this one has run its course.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread