The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 17, 2017, 12:34 AM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
On the other hand I have had issues with a large gap (blow by).
Maybe, but 0.008" isn't a large gap. It's in spec per the authoritative source.
Old February 17, 2017, 02:14 AM   #27
Pathfinder45

Again, moving forward; if the groove diameter of the barrel is no larger than the cylinder throats, it may shoot fine just the way it is. It will probably be OK with jacketed bullets, but a 45 Colt is at its best with cast lead bullets, that aren't too hard. About like straight wheel-weights is ideal. If it won't shoot those well with about 8 or so grains of Unique powder, I'd be looking into getting the cylinder-throats reamed. While .4525 may be just right, it could be not big enough. Slug the barrel and measure the diameter of the slug. Then ream the cylinder-throats to be just a little larger, perhaps .001" over the groove diameter of the barrel's rifling. Then make sure your cast bullets are at least as big in diameter as the throats; perhaps even .001" larger would be good. You'd think that they ought to know how to get this all correct from the factory, but it's an age-old problem common to this caliber, as well as some others from the same era. It's one of the reasons why I tell most people that they would be better off just buying a 44 magnum. But for those of us that have some inner need that compels us to tinker and briggle with things of this nature, and just can't leave well-enough-alone; the 45 Colt provides ample opportunity to fulfill that urge in a way that a Super Blackhawk that shoots excellent from the box, simply can't.
Old February 17, 2017, 08:51 PM   #28
Hylander

I am keeping it, did the dros.
Pick it up in 10 days