The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
tldward

S&W Model TRR8, M&P R8, or 627 PC ???

Hey guys, I currently own a S&W Model 627 Performance Center 8-shot .357mag and I absolutely love it. I've fixed it up with a nice set of wood Hogue grips and even had a custom leather duty holster made for it. I now rotate between carrying it and my Kimber 1911 Gold Combat RL/II .45acp while on duty.

Now, here is my question. I'm a plain clothes Police Officer (Detective) and the 627 with the duty holster is pretty heavy considering I'm no longer wearing a full size 2.5" duty belt. Now don't get me wrong, I do wear a very thick leather belt made for heavy firearms, but it's standard size 1.5" Anyway, I love the gun and want to continue carrying it but I need something that weighs less.

I started to research my options and stumbled upon the S&W TRR8 and M&P R8. Both of these guns are essentially a lighter weight version of the 627. In fact, they weigh about 10oz less than the 627 due to their Scandium Alloy Frame. Do any of you have experience with either of these guns or other guns with this type of frame? How reliable is this type of material compared to Stainless Steel? How does the recoil compare between the 627 and the TRR8 or M&P R8? Thanks!

(Model 627)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

(TRR8)

(M&P R8)

Last edited by tldward; June 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Sheikyourbootie

The Scandium alloy is tough. Though I do not own a 327, I DO own a 340pd. The only issue that I am aware of in the 340 (never heard of this problem in the 327) is that if the barrel is tightened too much at the factory that the frame can crack where the barrel interfaces. My 340pd has well in excess of 3000 rounds through her.

The ONE thing to be careful of with the 327 is the titanium cylinder. The face of the cylinder on my 340pd (I will post a picture, once I get my camera battery charged) is eroding. In my case, this was self inflicted, as I used to just use hoppes #9 to clean everything...I either dissolved some of the protective coating on the face, or I may have cleaned too aggressively and done that. I will be replacing that cylinder with a stainless one, fairly soon.

I do not know if you are aware that you have the option for your 627 and 327 to choose moonclips AND a fantastic 8 round speed loader. Here is a snap shot of both, next to my 627. I like the speed loaders for ccw, (yes ... I do occasionally ccw this beast) because I don't have to worry about bending them, like I have had happen with the moon clips.

BTW....KUDOS to you for carrying a revolver on duty. Brings back fond memories of when police did not need to be so militarized to survive.

This 627 just came back from the gunsmith for it's 30,000 round tune up, repaired rear sight blade that broke off while hunting, and a nice trigger job with extended firing pin. No more end shake, DA pull of 7#, SA pull of 2#
Old June 23, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Webleymkv

The TRR8 would probably be the better choice of the two based on the limited information that we have. We don't know what type of holster you're using with your 627, but some holsters are not very accommodating of rails. The TRR8 allows you to remove the rails while the M&P R8's under barrel rail in integral to the barrel shroud. I do have to admit a slight personal bias here as well as I think the rails are ugly as sin.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Glenn Dee

I have owned the TRR8... Got it used and had some issues with it. I sent it back to S&W for repair... They couldnt remedy the problems... so they sent me a brand new M&P R8. I like it better.

I spent most of my career working in plain clothes. Like yourself I chose to stick with my revolvers after the department transitioned to auto's. If I were you, of the two I'd go with the R8. For me weight was never a consideration. In fact I like a heavy gun for duty use in or out of uniform.

A non police person may not understand but detectives use all kinds of tools to accomplish their tasks. As a rookie detective I attended something called CIC (criminal investigation course) . One by my own department and one by the FBI. One such tool is called "Ther detective mistique". Carrying the R8 in my opinion will go a long way to enhance yours.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

OK, here is a Scandium frame. This gun isn't real high mileage, compared to the stainless steel frame gun pictured above...about 3000 rounds. The ammunition I used when I first noticed some erosion of the cylinder face were the Remington 125 grain sjhp rounds...about 100. Since then I've stuck with 158 and 140 grain rounds.

Here is the close up of the cylinder face:

So, if you go with the Scandium frame/titanium cyliinder, just be on the look out for some cylinder face erosion, depending on type of ammo you run through her and how aggressively you clean her.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Unlike the 340 pictured above, both the M&P R8 and TRR8 have stainless steel cylinders rather than titanium so, hopefully, cylinder erosion would be a non-issue with those models.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Venom1956

Sheikyourbootie, can i see another pic of that first revolver? what kinda barrel is that?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Sheikyourbootie

Quote:
Venom1956

Sheikyourbootie, can i see another pic of that first revolver? what kinda barrel is that?
Sure. It's the V-comp version of the 627. The end cap is removable. This is what the gun looks like with the compensator tip.

Old June 24, 2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Venom1956

Gotcha! I've never seen the comp removed. I like it without!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 25, 2013, 06:14 PM   #10
tldward

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I didn't realize the scandium/titanium material was more likely to erode. I never even thought about that. However, I'm glad to hear that the TRR8 and M&P R8 have the stainless steel cylinder.

Personally, I think the rails are ugly BUT they are incredibly practical so I would probably go with the R8. Well, it looks like there is going to be a purchase in the near future .....
Old June 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
tldward

Sheikyourbootie - Hey, I have several 8-shot speed loaders exactly like the ones you have. I also use the moon clips (mainly for qualifications and at the range). I carry the speed loaders while on duty in a Galco pouch. Yeah, it is hard to beat a good revolver. Working as a Detective, I'm not positioned in danger quite as often as standard Patrol Officers. However, I do have a tactical vest rigged with several magazines for my Glock 21, which I keep in a thigh rig, and a bunch of 12ga shells for when things get hot. I'm the only Officer in my area that still carries a revolver! Thanks for the great info and photos!
Old June 25, 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
tldward

Webleymkv - Yeah, I would have to get a new holster if I purchased the R8, but I'm pretty sure my current holster would fit the TRR8 as long as I didn't attach the rail. Thanks for the info!!!
Old June 25, 2013, 06:20 PM   #13
tldward

Glenn Dee - Hey, thanks for your input. Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the R8. Glad to hear there is (was?) another Detective who still carries a revolver on duty! I'm a wheel man all day, every day!
Old June 25, 2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Venom1956

The scandium frames have a small stainless plate where flamecutting will occur on the gun. That should hold it at bay AFAIK, just so you know its not only aluminum there.

I've heard internet myths of that coming off and the damage shooting it without was pretty extreme. I don't know how common or how much fact is in that. I figure if it ever shows unusual wear ship it over the S&W and they'll fix er up.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:13 PM   #15
tomrkba

The only correct answer is to buy them all.

Tags
mag , revolver , s&w , smith , wesson