The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Metal god

Going to Vegas early July where to shoot 500yds+

Title says it all . I'm going to Vegas first week in July for the UFC fight and will be there for 4 days . I don't gamble so I'll need something else to do . I'm willing to pay a little money for a good safe range but some BLM land would not be a bad idea as well . I have some steal and other targets I could take .

Any ideas would be great . links , maps , etc would help as well

Thanks Metal

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 30, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

Not trying to be smart the desert?
Old May 30, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Metal god

yep I know but not going to have many chances to dope my rifle in those temps and to see how I do in it as well . I'm in San Diego and when I go to the range it's an all day thing . I don't think I'll be in the desert more then an hour or two . You got to remember it's a dry heat

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 31, 2013, 12:06 AM   #4
sigcurious

What kind of vehicle will you be using? There are a lot of places some more accessible than others. There is a popular long distance spot by Jean, I forget the exact turn off, but south of town about 20 minutes off I-15, IIRC it is accessible to any vehicle. Just a bit further North on I-15 there is the Sloan shooting area, which if you drive carefully can get to an area with long distances available and the bonus of being away from the local yahoos. I don't know how far out the county shooting park goes, but its also a possibility. Pro Gun Club/ Desert Hills Shooting Club, is open to the public for a fee, but again I don't know what distances they go out to.

I can get you more precise locations on the BLM areas in the morning, along with some other BLM options.

ETA: For shooting near Jean, check to make sure there aren't any race events, a lot of the off road races run in that area which closes it to shooting.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:55 AM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

July is not a good time for outdoor shooting down there.
Good luck.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
paknheat

Going to Vegas early July where to shoot 500yds+

Pro gun club is out 93 between Vegas and Boulder City. About a 20 minute drive.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:13 AM   #7
HBoswell

Harry Reid spent a boat load of our tax dollars to build this

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/shootingcomplex contact at

[email protected]

I live up north in Sparks, but if I ever get down that way, I really want to check this place out.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Closing The Gap

The shooting complex is a really nice facility but the OP wanted 500+ yards. It only goes out to 200 yards. Personally I head out to BLM areas just outside of the valley. Check the BLM maps online and pick a spot. Just be sure someone knows you'll be out there and for how long since its July and many people die getting lost/stuck out in the desert that time of year. Also take more water than you think youll need then add another couple gallons just in case.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #9
sigcurious

Map

Double check that any of the spots are still useable and or accessible, but that gives you a good idea of where to try. One key portion is getting out of incorporated Clark county, AFAIK all those markers are in appropriate locations. The maker labeled hubcap spot is the area I referred to as Sloan, there are actually 2 turn offs in that general area, one unmarked but hard to miss(people unfortunately set up pretty close to the road) another a bit further down, marked by the liteweight pit sign.

The Sloan area and Jean area can be accessed by taking the 15 to the sloan exit, and crossing under the highway to LV Blvd, then drive south. The Jean spot is no longer on the map, but AFAIK is still open.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Metal god

UPDATE : Not taking any firearms with me on the trip . Does not look like I'll have time for any shooting . Thanks for all the help . I will keep all the info for future trips