The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Adventurer 2

What Would You Use A PMR-30 For?

I finally came up on a PMR-30 wait list.
I haven't shot this handgun yet because I'm undecided on keeping or selling it (I am feeling buyers remorse because I overpaid).

Loaded with 30 22 WMR rounds the handgun weighs 19.8 oz (lighter than my CM9 loaded with 7 rounds).

I've read that the velocity for 40 grain CCI bullets is 1318 fps from this handgun. This is slightly faster than a 22 LR from a Rifle. Based on some chronographing I have done with the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 22 WMR ammo in my 351PD - I'm thinking the Speer 40 grain could hit 1400 fps from this handgun.

Just wanted to put the above out there.
Hoping that you all can provide some insight to sway me into keeping this one.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

I don't have one but I read of lot of firearm forums... I've noticed that owners who have recent-production smooth-running ones are kinda ga-ga over the fun factor.

Mostly, they're not selling 'em... They're keeping them 'cause they're fun, loud, soft-shooting, fire-breathing dragons that most EVERYbody wants to try out... Here's Hickok 45's take on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti9bs-7ES2M

Last edited by CWKahrFan; August 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
stmcelroy

At $300-350 I'd buy one just to have something different that was fun to shoot.

Anything more than that and I would really have absolutely no use for one.

I work in a gun shop one day a week and we recently got a PMR-30 in. Holding it I'm not really that impressed by how it feels in the hand. It's going to be a giveaway gun for our upcoming move, i'm sure somebody will be really happy with a free PMR-30.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
DFrame

If you're not pleased with it, I have no doubt you can sell it easily. There are LOTS of people out there who are WOWED by the concept of it's huge magazine. I doubt you'll lose much, if any, money by shooting a few rounds through it. You might even like it. Your gun, your choice.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
TunnelRat

For fun? It shoots a not overly expensive cartridge with some blast but not too much. And it holds a lot of them. Pretty good excuse right there.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 26, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Coach Z

For the novelty alone?

I've been loosely looking for one for a couple months now just to have. Congrats and enjoy it, you won't lose any money if you decide to sell it.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
At $300-350 I'd buy one just to have something different that was fun to shoot.

Anything more than that and I would really have absolutely no use for one.
Zackly!!!!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Microgunner

A buddy of mine finally got one. Bought it used for $200.

It was key holing so the original owner probably thought he was getting over on my friend.

KelTec sent him a new, updated barrel but it won't group well at all and my Bud is a very good shot.

KelTec had him send the entire upper back to them.
We'll see if it shoots when he gets it back.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
jimjc

I have a friend that had one and couldn`t get it to feed worth a dam- he never got through a mag without several problems...then started to have other problems so he just sold it...It sold very fast......
Old August 26, 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Chuckusaret

Quote:
I have a friend that had one and couldn`t get it to feed worth a dam- he never got through a mag without several problems...then started to have other problems so he just sold it...It sold very fast......
My son has one, has never cleaned it, and has never a FTF, must have a 1K rounds thru it.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Joe_Pike

I wouldn't mind having one for "just for fun" if I had the extra money to buy one at the intended retail price. I would never pay a premium for a Kel-Tec product just because it is difficult to come across. To be fair I wouldn't pay a premium for any new gun on the market. If they are worth a darn they will eventually be available.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Adventurer 2

Thanks for the replies.
I think I read that it was the early fluted barrels that had keyholing problems. The barrel on this one isn't fluted (hoping no keyhole issues).
My buyer's remorse comes from paying above MSRP for the handgun. I haven't done that before (and my first time was for a Kel-Tec).
Watching the linked video makes me want to shoot the PMR. At least I made it through the weekend without touching it. It will be about two weeks til I get the opportunity to think about shooting the handgun.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Chuckusaret

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having one for "just for fun" if I had the extra money to buy one at the intended retail price. I would never pay a premium for a Kel-Tec product just because it is difficult to come across. To be fair I wouldn't pay a premium for any new gun on the market. If they are worth a darn they will eventually be available.
My son was lucky. The local gun shop that we do 90% of our buying from put one aside for him when they first hit the street. I believe he paid in the neighborhood of $350 for it. It is a reliable, fairly accurate, IMO, ugly but fun to shoot pistol.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Sevens

At $300 or $350, I think it would be a plinking riot. It is not high on my list, however, simply because I'm an avid handloader so in -MY- opinion, it would be expensive to feed, not cheap.

I picked one up at a gun show when it was brand new, before everyone wanted one and before they all went scarce and for sure, it felt like holding a NERF gun.

As for any serious use? Small game, I suppose. But most of the handguns I have serve the same purpose -- enjoyment on the range.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
RedBowTies88

If I could own one here I would definitely buy one. I would even consider CCWing it (if i could) 30 rounds of .22mag is no joke.
Old August 27, 2012, 03:48 PM   #16
dorc-1

Just picked up mine today. I had to check in the case to make sure it was there as it felt empty. Will try to get it the range in the next week or so and will probably use as a backpack gun.

Been looking at the various loads. Of the three new handgun loads from Hornady (Critical Defense), Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester PDX1......I ordered a box of the Winchester PDX1. From a 2" gun at fires @1250 fps, and the video I saw the bullet held it's expansion. The other two fire around 1000 fps from a 2" barrel.

I also bound a few boxes of the Hornady V Max 30gr. This stuff has got to fly out of there close to 1700 fps and should be an effective deterrent against an attack by anything in the lower 48. Splashing 6 or 7 rounds on a charging bear I think would turn him quickly. At least I hope so
Old August 27, 2012, 04:28 PM   #17
DFrame

Please post a range report if you're able. I'd like to see others impressions of the gun. The one I handled felt like an air pistol. I kind of like the looks, but NOT NEARLY enough to let go of my nine shot high standard snubby.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #18
SHNOMIDO

If i could be convinced of its reliability I would get one for a lady friend for home defense. Seems like the right hammer for the nail, not everyone can tote 12GA shotguns.

Low recoil, cheap to feed, lots of practice time... a handful of anything to the upper body is bad news, the high cap mag and easy shooting make up for the low power cartridge.

Then again, a steel frame 9mm shoots pretty darn easy too.

Point is, If I could get a ringing endorsement about feeding, I would be all over one for myself, or borrow it at the range from whoever I convince to get it.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Yung.gunr

I think it would make a great home gun for the wife. I would love to see a .22mag handgun in the size of the LCP. You could get a lot of rounds in there and it would be perfect for a CCW/BUG.
But yeah the PMR, range, varmints, and all around range fun.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Dashunde

Quote:
I would love to see a .22mag handgun in the size of the LCP.
I totally agree.

As for the PMR, I cant really figure what I'd use it for. Plinking sure, but thats nicely covered by the Buckmarks with half the ammo price.
Maybe I'd like it more if it were made of a good alloy by S&W, CZ or Ruger, something that felt like a nice range toy?

Come to think of it... why isnt there more auto 22mag & 17HMR pistols out there?
Old August 28, 2012, 03:48 AM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
Splashing 6 or 7 rounds on a charging bear I think would turn him quickly. At least I hope so
When you do this, please make sure you have a friend along that can document the savage thrashing and subsequent meal you become from a "charging bear", okeydoke?! Someone will have to post about the outcome because it won't be you.

If you friend is a hardcore gun nut, he'll follow that bear and pick the PMR-30 out of a pile of bear scat at some point after you've been "processed."
Quote:
If i could be convinced of its reliability I would get one for a lady friend for home defense.
I've thought about this for my elderly mother for quite some time. She has precious little strength and 30 shots dumped in or at an intruder would be a force to be reckoned with.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:19 AM   #22
akguy1985

I'd use one for plinking, maybe hunting rabbits or squirells.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:01 AM   #23
Logs

I think they are cool, not sure I "NEED" one, but I don't want one. My buddy sold his used for $700 here in KY. Which is nuts. I have not seen one in gun shop for a year for sale. I would pay around $350, but won't get one at the crazy prices they are going for now. I figure it is the poor man's 5.7.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:37 AM   #24
mes228

PMR-30

At a Gun Show I saw 2 sell for $595 each and the original price was $650 each. Buyer got a "deal" as he bought both. Keltec has a penchant for shooting themselves in the foot. They seem to have 3 current arms that pretty much cannot be purchased for love nor money. The PMR-30, the new Shotgun, and the new .308 rifle. Keltec's management is very hard to understand. They hit "home runs" then absolutely cannot run the bases. It appears so stupid there must be much more to the story than I'm aware of.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

There is! Keltec is selling all they can make. Demand outstrips supply.