The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 11, 2012, 01:55 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dats My Boy!!! Hog Doggin'

Junior has been gettin' out with a few of his buds to do some hog doggin' lately...

The things we do for our dogs 'cuz we owe them... Last hunt found them on a private land huntin' lease that adjoins a MAJOR military installation (not Eglin and not even Fla...). Dogs got on a Nike wearin' runnin' hog that got on the Mil. base in a normally "open" area... Garmin Astro GPS dog tracker showed them cross into an "IMPACT ZONE" 900 yards later... Then the tracker showed "treed" which means they were stationary aka "Bayed Up"... Can't go and leave them dogs at the mercy of an unmerciful feral hog so they struck out headin' to 'em...

Now here is where it gets REAL DICEY... They hear a WHOOMP a whistle and an explosion close by... YEPPER they were within 100 yards of the "target" being fired upon by mortar rounds... Junior said "They sound just like they do in war movies..." One boy "froze up"... Junior had the 2-way in his mouth by the antennae, both bay dogs in one hand and the bulldog in the other, the pig is now free and trying to get composure back, other boy is completely "shell shocked" standin' there with all the leads in his hand and the guy in the truck freakin' out 'cuz they ain't replied to his frantic calls on the radio knowin' he has to face me and mrs.hogdogs to explain how he got my only son blown to bits...

These guys all decided they had to be the only American hog doggers who hunted under "hostile fire" conditions that day...

Junior told me it was...
1)The most scared he can remember being...
2)The most thrilling fun he can remember...
3)both were simultaneous...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; March 11, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old March 11, 2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Lee McNelly

hogs

called in for support ot air strike
Old March 11, 2012, 02:41 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will have to tell Junior that is what went down... he will like that'n!

Brent
Old March 11, 2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Keg

As if huntin hogs with dogs was'nt exciting enough already....
Old March 11, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah, Keg, Sometimes these "mundane" hog hunts need a little boost in the excitement department...

Junior said some 6+ hours later "Dad, I can still taste the metallic sensation of the adrenaline rush..."

I am thinkin' next time he finds himself real bored, the best place to find him might be the Army or Marines recruiter's office...

Brent
Old March 11, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Keg

He might would have to shave....lol

http://youtu.be/I9DbsE58Rhs

My step-son..he's 6ft..6"....And I think he was a lil spooked at first....

Speaking of hogs and spooked...I went and got in a box stand this mornin...It was raining off and on..but not cold....I knew I would be OK once I got in the stand...It was in one of my hay meadows...After raining off and on..I saw no hogs so decide to check my cameras before I leave...I walk up to the first and pop the SD card out and pop in a new one...I walk up this trail toward the other camera and all hell breaks loose....There was a group of cedars..right behind my box stand..and they started shakin and a big ole hog runs out the back side of em and runs right past my stand and into the woods..and I mean fast....I'm glad he went the other way..cause my gun was slung over my shoulder..and it took a lil bit to get my **** together....lol....He must have been layin under there out of the rain sleepin and I woke him up....
Old March 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah he was happy in his bed dreamin' of peanut season (or whatever they are waiting to feast on in your area)...

I am pretty sure the pic with Junior was before the "hostile fire" hog 'cuz his sliced up arms looked like he was an extremely troubled "EMO" "cutter" they threw all caution to the wind scootin' in and out of there... No "wait-a-minute", "Dammit", or "cat claw" vines were gonna slow his butt down at all...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; March 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM.