The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 5, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1
5RWill

An Amazing Shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byChk...ature=youtu.be

Guy is boar hunting and dropping almost everyone he fires at on the dead run. Shooting a 7mm mag. I want that skill
Old January 5, 2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Alaska444

Wow is all you can say. That guy has it down to a science and one shot kills with the critters on the run. Amazing is correct!! Thanks for the link. I would be lucky to get those one shot kills and a critter just standing there.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:53 AM   #3
phil mcwilliam

Yeah, pretty good hog shooting from this guy with his Sauer. I think even his "hail mary" shot through the timber connected.
I was fortunate enough to have a brother in law with a couple of hundred acres infested with rabbits, when growing up. There is nothing better for practicing running shots, than shooting at rabbits running through tussocks with a .22 bolt action. In my opinion a bolt .22 is better for this practice as you make every shot count.
Old January 5, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
SurplusShooter

There are other videos with this same guy in them and others like him. They are all world class boar shooters in Europe, interestingly enough they use aimpoint red dot scopes on there rifles.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
AllenJ

That guy is a machine! Blackops if you ever get that skill you must share
Old January 5, 2012, 10:01 AM   #6
5RWill

Probably not possible for me due to my eyes being cross dominant. Although i can shoot left handed it's just slightly uncomfortable. With a rifle scope or monocular tube of any kind on my rifle, my right eye does take over easily after years of practice. I'm not sure how one gets that good other than shooting at movers. None the less if i ever obtain that kind of shooting ability man the animals aren't going to stand a chance haha.
Old January 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It's a learn-by-doing deal. What they're not filming is the number of misses and cripplings that happened before the skill was developed.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Gbro

Well using enough gun helps also.
I wonder if that shot through the trees also, but he may have had a shooting lane that the camera didn't align with?
Then to it looks like some shooting was done prior to that recording.
What is Bore fever?
As for having a cold, well I mostly always had a cold during deer season years back after hunting ducks all month prior but Cod Liver Oil has prevented 99% of those nuance colds.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #9
GeauxTide

A 7Mag at that range requires almost no lead. Looks like he was putting the dot in front of the hog, cause he wan't pushing through the shot much at all. Go to Jagerpro.com and look at the video instruction on shooting moving hogs.
Old January 5, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always figured deer at about 30mph. 33 ft/sec. At 100 yards on a crossing shot, I hold about three feet in front of Bambi's nose. Quartering shots, not so much. Same "calculus" for closer or longer range, naturally. As with a shotgun on doves, swing and follow-through is important.
Old January 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Vortexyz

Art-Part of the shooting exam to get your German hunting license requires you to shoot at a running boar target at 50 yards. I've seen people doing it to pass their exam (I never had the time to do it when I lived there) and it sure does move quick. They have it set up on a track that pulls it along across the range. It requires a lot of practice. Maybe that's how this guy got so good.

SurplusShooter is right about the red-dot scopes. One of the guys shooting next to me at the range one day was setting up a new boar rig and shooting his old one. His older rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag bolt action with a very low power scope. His new rifle was a 9.3x62 or 9.3x64 (can't remember which) with a zeiss z-point red-dot. Both were very nice rifles. He cited the ability to quickly transition targets and reacquire as reasons to use the red dot.

Gbro, I think the reference is to "Boar Fever" which is like "Buck Fever" i guess.
Old January 5, 2012, 11:02 PM   #12
warbirdlover

Awesome skill. They aught to get those guys down in Texas to clean some of those feral hogs out.