The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2011, 09:57 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

I will likely contact that Randolf Engineering dealer that Oneounce suggested. From what I can tell the Beretta's are not prescription. It would be nice to actually see a pair before ordering and I will see if there isn't a dealer further out then Triple B Clays, which turned out not to be a dealer for Randolph Engineering.
Old July 22, 2011, 02:15 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Since my cataract surgery, I've had 20/20 vision at distance but still have a little astigmatism and need something up close. So, my shooting glasses have the correction built in but not the bifocal at the bottom. Aviator frames like I've worn since the 60s. Polycarb lenses.

They work for me. Light yellow for overcast, medium grey for sun. Best for you may be different.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:52 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

Tom from TexasShootersOptical responded promptly to an email I sent him about the Randoph Engineering RX Sporter. I asked if he recommended varifocal or bufocal if I wanted to wear them as my regular glasses and then clop on a tinted lense for shooting. He responded that the varifocals are not only very expenseive, but just a little movement of the head up or down can cause visual problems. Also, if I understand him, you of course want to choose an appropriate color for the basic lense if you are going to drive a vehicle.

Folks keep mentioning aviator style glasses from a regar optician. I think the Randolph Eng Sporter is basically that on steroids, since it has an adjustable nose piece and clip on tinted shooting lenses. I think Decpts are the way to go if you want the top of the line and are willing to pay for separate prescription colors, but I am far from that class of a shooter and am thinking that the RE offers a lot for the money.
Old July 25, 2011, 01:13 AM   #29
maxman894

Post4 Optics are very, very good. They are pricey, but one set will last you a lifetime.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #30
EdInk

Checkout the Wiley X brand of Rx Shooting glasses.