The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Eagle Eye

Beck Revolver

I have a Beck 22LR (fires shorts, longs, long rifle ammo) 6 shot revolver that was made in Germany. I bought it around 1967 in California (it is registered to me in California) and am interested in selling it, but I have no idea of the value. It is in excellent condition, no rust, looks new and has a leather holster that is same vintage. I have too many guns and enjoy shooting larger caliber, so this is one of the ones I wish to sell. Any suggestions how to proceed?
Old March 10, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
tekarra

Hello and welcome to the forum.
A good start would be to post a couple of photos. Be certain you are up on the local laws for selling and sending handguns then post it in the classifieds.
Old March 10, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Eagle Eye

Value of a Beck 22?

Thanks for your reply. I am an experienced seller in other venues and cannot sell on this site for a while, so plan to sell locally using a newspaper ad. My main question is how do I determine the value? I can't find any Beck handguns for sale and my local dealer does not think they are available in the US any more. Google is no help -- it only leads me to antiques from the late 19th century (a different Beck). So what price do I ask? How do I determine it? Maybe my revolver is hard to find, collectible, or even rare? GORK!
Old March 10, 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Jim March

Odds are the thing is some sort of alternate brand name for Rohm/RG. If you post a pic we'll be able to tell right away.

If that's the case, it's...ummm...basically worthless.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Eagle Eye

Beck photos

Ok. I have uploaded a couple of photos. On the right side of the barrel it is engraved "Made in West Germany." On the left side the barrel is engraved "Beck Single Action .22 L.R. Cal" It has three symbols engraved on the left side of the receiver (one says 67 in a shield, one is a crosshatched shield and the top one is some unknown icon) and of course it has the serial number on the left frame and on the underside of the barrel. I have owned this since about 1967 and have put a couple thousand rounds through it. The barrel looks like new inside. The bluing is rubbed off about 1/4 inch by 1/8 inch on the left tip of the barrel, and a little thin line of bluing rub on the cylinder front edge, both areas probably from holstering it. The grips are original (plastic) and there is no rust in or on it.

It is fairly accurate and has never misfired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03747.jpg (182.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03748.jpg (163.2 KB, 74 views)
Old March 11, 2011, 12:01 AM   #6
Jim March

Ah! OK, that's not a Rohm/RG family gun. That's good.

It *might* be connected to the Sauer single actions coming out of Germany around that time, or it might not. But at least it ain't an RG.

Hmmm...plastic grip isn't a great sign, but surprisingly it has a pinned barrel. Appears to have a Colt-type flat mainspring based on the visible screw at the lower front of the grip frame. Metal-to-metal finish appears to be decent. Looks like somebody was at least trying to make at least a fairly good gun here.

Huh. Never seen one before.

One of 'em appears to have sold for $125 recently:

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/di...mnum=8092846.0
Old March 11, 2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Eagle Eye

Thank you so much. I just did a quick review of the site and it may be an outlet. I think I need to find an FFL if I sell through them. But here in Kansas I am told by the local FFL that I just need to check IDs and keep a copy of the bill of sale for my protection. I am moving cautiously.

I have a Ruger I prefer to target shoot & my Glock 9mm & Taurus .380 are my preferred cc. The Beck is just something to keep cleaned and oiled. My grandson begs for it, but will not be old enough for 3 years. I might just hold it for him, for he enjoys shooting it.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Jim March

SA .22s like that are great trainer guns for kids because they can't accidentally crank off a second round. It's kinda like having a handgun that engages a safety after every shot, the "safety" being the need to cock it again.

Tags
22 caliber , bech , germany , revolver , selling gun