The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2010, 07:56 AM   #1
salvadore

lyman 66

I think I installed one on my Marlin 39A, but its been more than 20years and I may be misremebering. I have the bits and the taps are on the way. My question is can I use a regular hand drill to make the holes. I'm thinking if I installed the sight on the Marlin I used a hand drill. I would also like to know if I have to take the action apart to mount the sight. Thank you.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I would not trust myself to mount a sight with a hand drill.
You may be steadier.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
salvadore

I may have 'BEEN' steadier. How about disassembly, do I need to take it apart?
Old October 12, 2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to install a Lyman 66 sight on a rifle.

First WHAT rifle?
In most cases you do need to disassemble the action at least part way to insure you don't drill into working parts, and to keep metal drill shavings out of the action.
If it's a Marlin made up to the 1990's, it may already be drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.
If so, there's two filler screws on the rear of the receiver.

Newer Marlin's like the 39-AS are only drilled for a top mount telescope and you can buy receiver sights that mount on top using those holes.

If it's a Marlin you want to install the sight on, field strip the rifle by separating the two receiver halves and remove the bolt. That's all that's needed.

Considering a Marlin is now a very expensive rifle, I don't think I'd be attempting to use a hand drill to drill the holes. It's just to easy to tilt the drill and drill slanted holes, or allow the drill to drift off-center.
You can't UN-drill a bad hole.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:25 PM   #5
salvadore

itsa 94 Winchester and you guys have convinced me to take it to someone. Thank for the input.
Old October 13, 2010, 01:55 AM   #6
HiBC

I think you made a wise decision.I would take it to someone who has a vertical mill similar to a Bridgeport.
Your Winchester is a very nice rifle and it deserves a nice D+T job.A buggered D+T job just destroys a rifle.
I spent 30 years drilling and tapping holes and I just would not use a hand drill.
Old October 20, 2010, 05:48 PM   #7
salvadore

Okee pokee, one of my work acquaintences admits to having a drill press and will help with drilling holes. Here's the deal, do I need to take the reciever apart? I can't tell if I will drill into some vital organs Or not.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:09 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Sal, I've had a gunsmith drill & tap two holes for a tang sight. It was cheap, your 94 ain't.
If I had your nerve I'd use a pre-drilled 94 for a pattern and measure/mark very carefully.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 21, 2010, 07:56 AM   #9
salvadore

Appreciate it Tex, according to the instructions you actually use the sight base as a template for the hole locations. I'd take it to local smith, but so far they either don't wanna do it, are dying, or have had their phone disconnected. I gotta get a knee scoped first of Nov. so hope to get it done prior to that.
Old October 21, 2010, 09:49 AM   #10
saltydog452

Its been quite a while now, but I seem to remember the 66MC 'base' (that isnt the correct word, but I don't know what else to call it) screwed into existing holes on the left side of the receiver.

I don't have a way to post a photo. Wish I could.

The front sight, 17AHB, required removal of factory front sight base and a dovetail cut into the barrel. The existing Marlin base made the Lyman front 17AHB way too tall.

If I were doing it again, I'd use folding rear sights. The one with the apperature would be tang mounted.

My Golden 39A was bought from the PX, 1967. Maybe screw hole locations are different now. Dunno.

salty