The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 20, 2010, 01:41 PM   #51
Rangefinder

Quote:
I don't know what species of plant it is, but I'm sure you could go to the gardening section in Home Depot and find something like it.
Roses would be effective--but those would be pretty obvious. Would these be more of a tree (willow-type), or a shrub? Any blooms? Sweet smell in early summer? Russian Olive tree would be a random guess, if these match it. I love those trees---beautiful wood for any kind of woodworking when it's mature and well-seasoned--super hard--makes oak look like balsa. Oh, and they are notorious for having lots of really vicious 3" spikes all over them---"evil thorns" doesn't come close to describing them.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:41 PM   #52
firespectrum

Quote:
Would these be more of a tree (willow-type), or a shrub? Any blooms? Sweet smell in early summer?
It's been a long time, but I seem to remember it having some kind of flower and it is more of a shrub than a tree. The thorns were woody and almost straight out, not curved like rose thorns. It was about 3 1/2 - 4 feet tall, but they were pruned that way so I wouldn't know how tall they would naturally get.
Old January 20, 2010, 03:35 PM   #53
Rangefinder

firespectrum

Yup--that sounds like a Russian Olive. My 14-yr old is going to find one growing under his bedroom window pretty soon. I've found that they not only make a would-be break in much uncomfortable, but they also make sneaking out a really bad idea . They grow fast like a shrub and stay small if they're pruned. Let them go and they get huge! I've harvested some that were well over 3' diameter at the base.

On a side note, I have a nice piece of that wood set aside to make a new stock for my AK at some point. It makes amazing rifle stocks.

Last edited by Rangefinder; January 20, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 04:09 PM   #54
Balog

Rangefinder: interesting. I wonder how those would grow in the Pacific Northwest? And to go back a bit, that's excellent work on that axe. Good job! Do you ever make those for others, or strictly as a hobby?
Old January 20, 2010, 04:20 PM   #55
Rangefinder

Yup, I'm sure they would grow very well in the pacific north-west... Maybe too well. They don't mind cold, aren't bothered at all by heat as long as there's water, and grow extremely fast. BUT---check with state/county regulations first before putting any in. I've heard of some areas exterminating them and outlawing them because they grow so well and spread so easily in any climate you throw them in. Wonderful tree IMO though.

For the axe---It's mainly just a hobby. I have tons of hobbies--most of them involve teaching myself how to do things that everyone know a hundred years ago but isn't even heard of now. I also hammer medieval armor, feather&wedge stone, carve wood furniture (my next wood project is gonna be a longbow--right after I finish my wife's dining room table), etc...

Old January 20, 2010, 04:58 PM   #56
shafter

Kind of strange that so many people have such a variety of weapons nearby.
I guess its in case the shotgun doesn't work they can grab the pistol and if that fails they can employ the pickax/sword, if that doesn't work its time to use the k-bar. If all else fails just use the trust 'knucks or just choke him to death.

Yeah right
Old January 20, 2010, 05:02 PM   #57
1911rocks

Plants

Bougainvellia
Old January 20, 2010, 06:22 PM   #58
Tucker 1371

I have an AK. In the unlikely yet possible event it should fail in a self defense scenario that item will cease to be an AK and become either a club or thrown blunt object.

As much as I'd really hate to get shot with an AK, getting hit in the face with one couldn't feel much better .
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 20, 2010, 06:27 PM   #59
MTT TL

Quote:
Why?

I alternate my time between the deep country (police response is actually a speedy 25 minutes) and a city that has a... elevated crime rate. Having a variety of weapons gives me a variety of options for different situations. I might not want to shoot the 13 year old kid that breaks into my garage, but pepper spray might have him rethink his ways. The bear breaking into the kitchen does not care about the pepper spray or even the pistol much, but the shotgun is another thing altogether.
Old January 20, 2010, 07:13 PM   #60
tatso7

Other than handgun and shotgun, I considered my hunting compound bow a secondary weapon with arrows tipped with 1 1/2 inches cutting diameter fixed three bladed head.
Old January 20, 2010, 07:58 PM   #61
firespectrum

Quote:
I've found that they not only make a would-be break in much uncomfortable, but they also make sneaking out a really bad idea
Haha, yeah I definitely couldn't sneak out the window when I was a teenager. I'd have to put the TV on a sleep timer to cover my retreat out the front door or the garage. Hope your kid isn't reading this

Quote:
Other than handgun and shotgun, I considered my hunting compound bow a secondary weapon
hmm, I'd think that if your shotgun and your handgun both failed you probably won't have enough time to whip out your bow. But that would be by far the most entertaining "armed citizen" article ever!
Old January 20, 2010, 11:07 PM   #62
EnoughGUN

two words!

ATTACK CAT!

You can take my safe my TV my Jag but you touch a kibble bowl and God help you!
Old January 20, 2010, 11:13 PM   #63
Rangefinder

Quote:
Really? Why??
I think I've mentioned it before... But there aren't too many places in my house that there aren't multiple weapons within reach. All things considered--it doesn't have to go bang or have a sheath to be considered a weapon. I'd dot you to death with a black sharpie marker if I had to. That would be interesting to try explaining to a Prosecutor, but hey--if it works, don't limit your options by lack of creativity.

Old January 20, 2010, 11:13 PM   #64
semi_problomatic

Nothing like a body breach drill with a bunch of FNG's. Since reading this post I re-evaluated my home defense stratagy and have emplaced many powerful weapons around my house. I've got a can of wasp spray in my night stand, as well as one by where I sit in my living room. I also placed two of those stubby fish bats next to/behind some doors. AND I put Chuck Norris on speed dial just in case I can't handle the BG's. He'll fly over and round-house kick them into next year!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuck norris.jpg (3.7 KB, 49 views)
Old January 20, 2010, 11:20 PM   #65
EnoughGUN

Quote:
Really? Why??
I think I've mentioned it before... But there aren't too many places in my house that there aren't multiple weapons within reach. All things considered--it doesn't have to go bang or have a sheath to be considered a weapon. I'd dot you to death with a black sharpie marker if I had to. That would be interesting to try explaining to a Prosecutor, but hey--if it works, don't limit your options by lack of creativity.
GLOCK Austrian for Lemming
Old January 20, 2010, 11:34 PM   #66
Rangefinder

Quote:
I am wondering about the effectiveness of a chain saw being fired up as a deterent.
I'm thinking the wife would notice if that thing happened to suddenly relocate from the shop to the bedroom... But I like the way you think! Slightly demented, and very entertaining at the same time!

All things considered in the non-lethal category... One of the medium to top-end airsoft automatics would even to the trick. RoF upwards of 7-800 RPM, MV of 350 fps, and a magazine capacity of 3-400 on some of 'em... Talk about being beaten into submission! That would be an interesting conversation for the holding cell...

Guy 1: What happened to you? Those welts are ugly!

Guy 2: 10 year-old with an airsoft took me out during a burglary. Little creep, wait till I send my sister's kid over to pay him a visit...

Old January 20, 2010, 11:42 PM   #67
EnoughGUN

that makes me think of paintball guns. I was into paintball not long ago and had a gun that would fire 25+ rounds a second at 300 feet per sec. Sounds weak but I'll tell you wat if you get handed a hopper (200 balls) you are doing nothing but going fetal and crying for momma.
Can you see explaining that to the cops?
LEO: ... sir can you explain why this guy is orange?
You: Sorry officer, he didn't yell "OUT" so I assumed he was still playing!
Old January 21, 2010, 12:38 AM   #68
leadcounsel

I've got some knives, clubs, bats, etc laying about just because they are kinda cool, but when it comes down to real self defense why would I reach for a hand-to-hand weapon when I've got ample firepower in loaded guns within reach?

I do have a really sweet solid table leg about 2' long that I thought was really cool when I got it off a scrap table someone had trashed.

Improvised weapons and training has its place, but it's a distant second to firearms.
Old January 21, 2010, 11:01 AM   #69
Rangefinder

Quote:
Improvised weapons and training has its place, but it's a distant second to firearms.
Depends on how you look at it. I haven't had to stop and reload a sword yet. Kinda like the energizer bunny---they just keep on cutting...

Old January 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #70
firespectrum

I don't think I'd draw an airsoft or paintball gun on an intruder. Chances are, just getting caught in the act is enough to make him flee, but if you pull out your airsoft gun it may compell him to pull out his real gun. And now what have you done? You're face to face with a BG with a gun and you've got a toy.

And it may also be worth considering that placing swords, bats, etc all around your house could just arm your intruder.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:51 PM   #71
semi_problomatic

True. But now he's armed with swords and bats and I've still got my gun...
Old January 21, 2010, 09:33 PM   #72
firespectrum

Quote:
True. But now he's armed with swords and bats and I've still got my gun...
He may or may not have started out with a weapon, but he had the weapon of surprise from the beginning. Now he has both.

Now there are plenty of things in the home an intruder could arm himself if he wanted to, but if he really wanted to be armed he would have just come armed in the first place. My concern is this:

For the most part, burglars want to avoid confrontation at all costs (why most burglaries are in the day when people are at work) and if you happen to catch a typical burglar in the act a "fight or flight" response is going to happen. If he's smart, he'll choose "flight" (especially in my house ) and I think this is normally what happens. However, if he gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and he looks around and sees a baseball bat leaning next to the door 3 feet away and a katana on the wall 4 feet away he may just like his chances for the "fight" response - especially if he surprises me.

I'm NOT saying that having a secondary or less-than-lethal option is not a good idea, it just seems like some of you guys are overly enthusiastic and are leaving copious amounts of lethal objects all over the house just for that warm-and-fuzzy. I know some of you are joking, but it's hard to tell over the internet who is and isn't. I think a secondary is a great idea, but in a well-conceived preferably discreet location. All things in moderation.

My first line of non-standard home defense (if I didn't live in this crummy apt!) would be to do anything to make getting into my home as noisy as possible.
-Thorny bushes outside windows, and breakable glass and/or ceramic decorations on window sills and on tables under windows.
-Locked deadbolts on all doors.
-Hanging wind chimes or bells on all doors.
-Security system sign in the yard (whether you have one or not).

If I can force him to make a lot of racket during entry and it hasn't spooked him, he's taking some lead if I'm home (which statistically, I probably won't be ).
Old January 21, 2010, 10:11 PM   #73
MosinM38

Umm...I don't know if I should admit this....

But I shouldn't need anything after the shotgun, 2 rifles and 6 handguns around my bed (Dresser, headboards, side holster,etc.etc.).

But, I have a flashlight and for some reason a cheap $9.99 Kukris that is surprisingly good quality. Not maybe everyday outdoor use, but good for occasional use.
Old January 22, 2010, 02:51 AM   #74
Rangefinder

All joking aside--I'd use an airsoft on one of the neighborhood kids doing stupid kid stuff ( like TP'ing my porch) and laugh my butt off at 'em while they were curled up squealing.

As for real home defense---first, you'd have to get passed my dog. If you don't belong to this house, you won't make it two steps into the driveway before he tells on you. Then, if you did somehow manage that impossible feat, you'd have to get inside without anyone (namely me) noticing. And then, should you decide to take the fight over flight option and grab one of the many swords hanging everywhere----well, that's where it just becomes fun. I don't own an edged weapon I'm not fluent with. Being an instructor has its advantages, and if it got all the way to that point I'd probably draw it out and toy with you a bit just for the simple fun of it. A little sadistic? Perhaps. *shrug* But at that point a bullet almost seems too kind. I'm gonna give you time to realize just how deep that hole is that you've dug for yourself before I fill it in on top of you. And if by some strange chance I let you keep breathing in the end, I guarantee you'll wish I hadn't long before it's over. Feel free to dissect that any way you like.

Old January 22, 2010, 03:13 AM   #75
1911 Jim

Firespectrum has the key to my basement security plan.

If the thug manages to get in the tiny casement windows, he's gonna break his neck or at least sprain something falling on all the crap in the LZ.

To top it off, they're all tinted or otherwise shuttered from inside. You got no idea what's on the other side of that glass unless you've been in there - and if that's the case, you'd be a moron to attempt it. Chances are, it's gonna be me as well as the mess. There's simply no way to "sneak in" down there.

Eventually I'm going to make proper polycarbonate barriers (anchored into the block foundation) to prevent it ever coming to that.