The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
meh77gmc

Abnormal Alabama Buck...

Hey Ya'll,
I'm new here but I figured this question was too good for me to pass up on asking. Last weekend a buddy from work killed a buck and I've never seen or heard of anything like it. This thing had a picture-perfect "typical" 8-point rack on it, with a southern Alabama average size 18-inch spread. But it also had (growing from it's head, inside the 8-point rack) another 6-point rack. When he showed me the pictures I didn't know what to say.
I know this can't be a normal thing. Have any of ya'll ever heard of anything like this? How do you score this deer? Why does this happen?
Now before ya'll start, I should tell you I am not a native of Alabama, so I've already told him most of the "Alabama inbreeding" jokes I can think of. Mainly I want to know how rare this is and why it happens, but I'll accept some good "bama" jokes to add to my list if you have to.

Don't shoot at critters wearing orange!!!
Mike Harris
Old January 27, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2
publius

that's cool. I'd love to see pics. you're gonna have to contact Boone & crockett on how to score that sucker.
Old January 27, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

http://images.google.com/images?sour...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

It happens. It isn't real common, but it happens. I have probably seen a half dozen mounts of these over the years, usually in collections, never live or recently killed.
Old January 27, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
wpcexpert

That's very rare indeed but not uncommon.

Cabelas has many bucks with two sets of racks mounted in their stores. Your buddies buck will be a pretty good non-typical score. It could very possibly make book.

Sorry DNS, looks like you were posting as had started.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson