The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Jack Reevez

Cleaning of Plastic Residue ?

hi All. I use hoppes#9 nitro powder solvent to clean my shotguns. I know its good to take out the lead in a shot gun barrell but i was wondering what to use to remove the Plastic wad left by the fired shells. Does the Hoppes#9 nitro powder solvent clean the plastic wad off as well or do i need another solvent for that?
Thanks in advance guys.
Old June 11, 2008, 04:12 AM   #2
B. Lahey

Breakfree Powderblast was designed to go after plastic fouling in shotgun barrels, and does it well. Be careful not to get it on the stock if you can avoid it, most synthetic gun materials hold up to it fine, but some don't. I think it's mostly orange oil and while it smells a little odd, it will not blind you if you get it in your eye. Go on, ask me how I know.

I wear eye protection when using it now, though. The stuff sprays violently out of the can.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
oletymer

Spray WD40 in the barrel, let it sit for a few minutes then brush it out. I have done this for 40 years and several hundred thousand rounds and it works great for cleaning plastic residue. For the barrel cleaning it is also cheaper than gun cleaners for this application.
Old June 11, 2008, 11:12 AM   #4
oneounceload

Gumout carb and choke cleaner works great also
Old June 11, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
JWT

Hoppes works fine on the plastic residue from the wads. I take my choke tubes out and soak them in Hoppes for about an hour, then use a bronze brush on them, dry them, and put them back in the barrel before cleaning the barrel. I strain the used Hoppes through a coffee filter and pour it back into the bottle for 'next time'.

Works fine for me, and soaking eliminates most of the brushing. (I find most of the plastic residue is on the choke tubes)
Old June 11, 2008, 06:51 PM   #6
BigJimP

Shooters Choice makes a shotgun and choke tube cleaner that works real well - and it doesn't harm the finish on your wood stocks.

http://www.shooters-choice.com/

In fact I use it on my handguns too - as a primary cleaner.
Old June 15, 2008, 03:41 PM   #7
nutty ned

Quote:
Spray WD40 in the barrel, let it sit for a few minutes then brush it out. I have done this for 40 years and several hundred thousand rounds and it works great for cleaning plastic residue. For the barrel cleaning it is also cheaper than gun cleaners for this application.
+1; just remove the barrel so there in no chance of getting the WD-40
in the action. It will take a while; but, the WD-40 will gum up the action when you most don't want a gummed up action. I know.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:32 PM   #8
BigJimP

Several years ago WD-40 formula was changed so the propellant is now CO2 - where the propellant used to be Propane. I think it frankly worked better when it had Propane in it .....but maybe its just my imagination. ( when I was a kid we used WD-40 as a "starting fluid" into the carburetors on our trucks too ....) but we were cheap and young and stupid ....

I will admit to spraying down the exterior of the gun with WD-40 and wiping it down before I put it away / after I've cleaned it. It will build up a little but it won't harm the finish either.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:48 PM   #9
dmickey

If you can find the old patches they made from a material called Remay, they clean out plastic fowling quite well without anything on them. I used plastic buffer material for a filler in one of my guns. Worked quite well except...As soon as the barrel cooled down the plastic residue hardened and my groups were off by as much as four (4) inches! As soon as I ran a dry Remay patch though the bore the rifle grouped back to where I had started!
Old June 17, 2008, 10:29 AM   #10
webbee

The acetone included Ed's Red formula works really well. So does a Tornado brush, especially if you put a patch over the t-brush (like a jag) and use Ed's red. Brake-Kleen also works pretty well.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:49 PM   #11
50 shooter

www.slip2000.com is all you need.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:32 PM   #12
Nnobby45

Just buy some Libman copper scrubbers in your local Super Market (or similar product--some are silver) and cut off a suitable amount to put on your cleaning rod. Saturate your bore with any solvent and run the rod through a few times.

All that lead and residue will be gone so fast and so easy, you'll wonder why there's even a thread talking about some other method.

Even Scotch Brite abrasive pads will work for the plastic residue.

I used to buy another product from Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide that was finer and suitable for getting lead out of pistol bores. Sorry, can't remember the name of it.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:57 AM   #13
mikenbarb

I use Gold Medalion with a bronze brush and a drill. I use the brush with solvent and an old cleaning rod in a drill and run it up and down a couple times at low speed and it removes all plastic buildup in a couple seconds. Then I run a few clean patches thru it and oil lightly and its good to go.
Old June 18, 2008, 03:33 PM   #14
WacosSon

2nd that

I'll 2nd that breakfree powderblast with a solid brush out.
Old June 18, 2008, 03:36 PM   #15
WacosSon

PS

PS - avoid WD40 if you can. Works ok on the bbl. but it WILL gum up your action. Have a buddy with an 870 been using WD for years. I kept telling him - finally...jammed. Took him 2 months to get it repaired. I'd stick with something else.
Old June 18, 2008, 05:46 PM   #16
banditt007

Brake cleaner works great.
Old June 19, 2008, 12:08 AM   #17
WacosSon

Ok, at the risk of overposting, I did a little research. Had an old barrel that still had wad residue in it. Not sure if its cuz of the age of the residue (6months) but Rem BriteBore hammered it out like no one's business. Finished it off with some Rem oil and its nice and purty