The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2007, 02:55 AM   #1
Soupah

Problem closing my new o/u...

Posted this in another forum too, but I need as much advice/help as I can get....I brought home my first o/u today, a new Lanber 2087. I discovered that once the gun was broke open, it can't be closed it without moving the break-open lever to the side (like you do when opening it).

If I try to close it normally, the barrel lugs can't clear the lock plate, which won't budge. Once I move the lever (which moves the lock plate back), the lugs can clear the locking plate and gun will lock closed normally.

Is this normal for a new o/u? Will it loosen up to the point where it can be closed w/o having to move the lever, like other over/unders I've handled?
Old January 3, 2008, 02:06 AM   #2
10-96

I looked at one of these in a local shop today. Like yours, it will only close with the use of the latch. The shop owner wan't too sure that it wouldn't ease up a bit as it got broken in. But then, there are some folks who would get snuff-dippin, dog kickin mad if someone were to snap their shotguns shut without using the lever. -They say that extends the shotguns life span. I dunno.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 3, 2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Full-choke

My Stoeger Condor did it when I first got it, but after about 20 or so rounds and some good movement it wasn't as tight. But I have never messed with the shotgun you mention, they may have it built to the point in which you must use the lever to close it.

F-C
Old January 3, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4
BigJimP

Yes, its fairly normal - and I am one of those guys that if I ever handed a shotgun to someone and they slammed the barrels closed, vs using the lever, there would be 2 sounds - one from me slapping the hell out of him and one of him whining .......

To lubricate the barrel connection I'd recommend using a pretty liberal applicaion of "Rig" grease. That will help protect the connection - and make it a little easier to close.

A good over under should remain fairly tight for at least 50,000 rounds thru it.