The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Namerifrats

500 S&W Load Question

This is for anybody here that loads for the 500 S&W. I'm planning to do my first reloads for it today. I want to do 20 loads because I only have 20 pieces of empty brass at the moment, all once fired that were factory loads. I have both Hornady and Corbon brass. Mostly Hornady brass, all of it has the R for Large Rifle Primer. I have CCI Large Rifle Primers, and I have a pound of Lil' Gun and a pound of H110 powder. I'm using Rainer Leadsafe 335 Grain flat point bullets. I'll tumble my brass shortly and will hopefully be able to load them this evening. I have the load data that came with the Lee Dies, and I have the Hodgdon's 2007 Annual Manual Reloading Guide. I also have the Modern Reloading manual by Lee on it's way. The other reloading manuals I have found do not include 500 S&W data. I'm trying to find some reliable load data for the components I have listed, looking to make a medium target load to test out tommrow. The Hodgdon Manual has data for 325 and 350 gr bullets but not 335. I read on Rainer's site that their bullets would work with load data for cast lead bullets.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Namerifrats

Anybody?
Old May 20, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Ultima-Ratio

Gotta Log In To

Ask ya if you've used the search function here yet?
Since you specified medium power range loads I'd suggest saving both mentioned powders for full power loads, neither do very well at less than full power loads and can be downright finicky.
Try Blue Dot
Old May 20, 2007, 06:30 PM   #4
amamnn

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old May 20, 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Namerifrats

The Hodgdon site doesn't have any data for the 335 gr lead bullets though. Thats what I'm after. Would it be better the use 325 or 350 grain bullet data? I made some lighter loads last night using 36 grains of H110 trying to make a bit of a reduced load based more or less on the 325 data I had. Just looked on the reloading data for the Blue Dot mentioned and they don't even have the 500 S&W listed for load data. I will go out and buy some of it though if you think it would make a better load. Guess I'll just have to wait on some more to come out. I was kinda hoping somebody here would know of a deffinate source or share some info on how they load for it.
Old May 20, 2007, 10:07 PM   #6
PeteQuad

It is safest to substitute a lighter bullet for heavier bullet load data. Sorry I don't know anything about the S&W 500 loads tho.
Old May 21, 2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Dr. Pepper

I have the same problem trying to find data to load the 500 at modest velocities. I finally got some Trail Boss and tried that Saturday with Rainier's 335 gr HP. I don't know what the velocity is, but the recoil is about like a .38. It'll make a nice practice load.

Like amamnn said, check Hodgdon's load data site.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:06 AM   #8
ATCDoktor

I have shot a couple of thousand plated bullets thru my 500's. The bullets I use are Berry's and they state that they a good to abot 1700 FPS (the claim the copper is thicker on their 45/70 and 500 S&W bullets). That being the upper limit that the manufacturer recommends, I use jacketed data for a similar weight bullet (Berry's are 350 grainers) and work up or down from that point. If Rainiers ar 335 grainiers ( I don't see where 15 grains of lead will be that much of a concern) I would use 350 grain STARTING loads and work from there. There shouldn't be a problem. The one problem you may have is that the Rainiers don't have a crimping groove and I have had a big problem with bullets jumping their crimp. Lee Factory Crimp Die fixed that best $25.00 I ever spent.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Namerifrats

The Lee Factory Crimp die you mentioned, I've read about it and have considered getting one. Do they make one for the 500 S&W and are they somewhat universal? I don't remember seeing one specifically for the 500 S&W
Old May 23, 2007, 07:21 PM   #10
PeteQuad

I don't think they make the FCD for the .500. I read somewhere on the Lee site that they can't make 50AE because of something about it being too large for their manufacturing process, so I'll bet the same goes for the .500S&W. Strangely, they do the 50BMG though, so I'm not sure what's up there.
Old May 25, 2007, 03:46 AM   #11
ATCDoktor

The Lee factory Crimp Die for the 500 S&W is a Special Order deal. Load up a dummy round (no powder and no primer) and send it in to Lee. It'll cost about $25.00 plus shipping (call Lee they will tell you what's up) and in about a week they will send you die (and your dummy round). You almost have to have this thing, bullets jumping the crimp are a big deal with this caliber.
Old May 25, 2007, 07:10 PM   #12
PeteQuad

Found the link I read:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata....html#CUSTOMFC
"Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Dies for handgun cartridges can be made for most handgun cartridges that are not in regular stock. Sizes available run from 25 ACP sized cases up to the 480 Ruger. The 50 AE cannot be made because the carbide ring necessary for this cartridge is too large for our manufacturing process."

No mention of the 500, but I'd assume the same story as the 50AE. There's no reason you can't adjust the seating die to crimp the 500s you make, it's just a little bit more difficult and you have to be more careful.