The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 24, 2006, 06:57 PM   #26
CTU

I have an XD40 (full size 4 in), so I think and XD9 would be great.
Or perhaps a 9mm single stack M1911
The 1911s feel great to me. Has she tried to shoot a 40 cal.? I think they are a great alternative to 9mm and 45 cal.

I am a smaller dude, so I did't go for the glocks some just have too big of grips to me.
Old December 24, 2006, 07:13 PM   #27
tydephan

I would almost beg you to look at the M&P. With the replaceable palm swells, you and your wife can share the gun and quickly switch the grips so it is comfortable for both of you.

I have glocks, springfields and the Smith M&P. I absolutely love the M&P.

Aside from that, the Beretta PX4 that was mentioned earlier features the same replaceable grips. I have not shot the weapon yet, but I've held it and it feels very nice.

Good luck!
Old December 25, 2006, 07:23 PM   #28
Kermit

I would look at a HK USPc 9/ P2000, a Steyr MA1, a Walther P99 or a SIG P229/228/239
Old December 25, 2006, 07:47 PM   #29
Willy T

Hard to go wrong with:

Old December 26, 2006, 06:57 AM   #30
threegun

My 10 year old son can grip my G-34, his PX4 Storm, and his Springfield XDsc without major problems. He has very small hands yet finds little problem gripping or shooting either one. He actually likes the Glock the best. My suggestion would be to buy the Glock 19 and let her get used to it. You loved the 17 and will really love the 19 and she will fall into place in short order. My wife has fired many different handguns in our 14 years together. She is small also and loves the G-19 claiming one of mine as her own. I own 8 Glocks despite having 9 in the safe, according to her LOL. In the beginning she had similar issues despite having hands perfectly capable of securing the gun. It turned out to be the lack of handling the gun. She basically felt similar with every gun. Once she began handling the gun more often it totally changed for her. Like anything else thats new you have to get used to handling guns. Especially with the newbies perceived "danger" factor in gun handling.
Old December 26, 2006, 11:21 AM   #31
Abstract

Some guy posted that his 10-yr-old son limpwristed every shot with his G34...must have been another guy with a 10-yr-old son.
Old December 26, 2006, 12:09 PM   #32
Christian 812

Fast200

Lets get back to your original answer !

You like 9mm > keep it > very decent (and cheap) HD and range caliber.
You like the G17 ... but a bit oversized for your fiance hand > test the G19

Now, you don't sound like the kind of guy who's gonna buy a handgun every month ...!?

So, if budget not imperative > rent and test (following my very own preferences) :

- Sig P239 9mm
- H&K P2000 9mm (.v with decocker)
- G19 9mm

Pick the one you agree on with your fiance and you won't be disappointed with any of these winners.

Just point and shoot !
Old December 27, 2006, 02:21 PM   #33
7tisix

Good recommendations. I personally like the feel of all the Sigs and CZs. Sigs are a little more pricey, and are my personal favorite. I love my CZ though, and like the way it feels in my hand over the Sig. If you get a Sig, buy some Hogue grips for it.
Old December 27, 2006, 02:44 PM   #34
LH2

Try the following pistols, you're bound to find one you really like.

Sig P239 9mm nice & slim single stack. Add a pair of Hogue grips and it's dreamy.

Walther P99 AS - great ergonomics and the best DA/SA trigger going.

Steyr M9-A1 - really slim grip - excellent for smaller hands!
Old December 27, 2006, 03:48 PM   #35
Axion

I've found the S&W M&P to have a much smaller grip then the Glocks and XD's.
Old December 27, 2006, 10:34 PM   #36
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Fast200, here's my $.02:

1. I wouldn't dare get a Glock so that she can "get used to it". It may work for some, but not others. Laws of probability are against you based on that ASSumption.
2. Although several others have given this advice, I think it bears repeating again: take her to a range/shop and let her rent as many as economically sound you can. When the right gun ends up in her hands, she will know in short order if properly instructed in what to look for in a gun to begin with.
3. Of all the great suggestions, my thought is the Ruger P95 with Hogue grips($10). My wife has small hands and she does well with this gun. It may still be a little on the large size in the grip department, but still worth considering. It's a very reasonable priced gun, extremely reliable, and good warranty backing.
Old December 28, 2006, 10:05 AM   #37
threegun

Abstract,

Quote:
Some guy posted that his 10-yr-old son limpwristed every shot with his G34...must have been another guy with a 10-yr-old son.
Just pointing out that he can handle the gun fine despite the small hands.
Old December 28, 2006, 11:16 PM   #38
jenglish
Registration in progress

Well if you look at my signature, you will instantly know what I am going to say, but I will say it anyway . . . Walther P99. Joking aside, the P99 is a nice pistol. The AS trigger takes some getting use to, but they have two other trigger systems to choose from . . . two calibers . . . and two frame sizes. So in other words, adaptable to what ever you want.

S&W: 13-2 (357Mag) - 340PD (357 Mag) - 642 (38Spl)
Old December 30, 2006, 07:46 AM   #39
ScotZ

My 18 year old daughter holds a nice pattern with a SIG 229 40 cal. .. She is 5'5" 115 lbs . I think its a matter of getting used to the gun.
Old December 30, 2006, 10:41 PM   #40
Bullet94

fast200

Get her a S&W revolver. They make a size to fit her and it won’t jam. Then buy yourself whatever you like.
Old December 30, 2006, 11:26 PM   #41
MikeRussell

Go for the Springfield XD9, in either Service (4in bbl) or Tactical (5in bbl). My wife's pistol (though I might steal it from her) is an XD40 Service (.40smith, 4in bbl, same frame as the 9mm variant). She's not a big woman (5'4" and around 120lbs) and she can handle that XD40 with no problems, can get a good grip on it, and can manage the recoil with no problem.

Having owned Glocks and now the XD (her XD40 Service and my XD45 Tactical), I find the XD to be more ergonomic and a better shooter. The trigger takes a little getting used to, and feels a little rough at first, but once you put some rounds through it, it cleans up real nice and shoots real easy. I'd actually considered buying a XD9 Tactical to shoot in Production class, but opted to just do some lower powered handloads for the .40smith instead (which also gives me more cash available to get my 45 Tactical set up for L10 division).
Old December 30, 2006, 11:31 PM   #42
skipjack

I have shot the sig 239 in 40 cal, great pistol. Slim grip, easy to hold, and excellent in terms of going bang every time. The 226 is also very nice,but since it is a double stack, it is fairly wide.

The walther p99 comes in a couple different trigger configurations. They have a double action only that is a little harder for me to shoot than the AS model. The AS is nice in that if you don't press the decocker, the first shot is single action, like the subsequent shots. Very nice pistol, but still a bit wide due to the double stack magazine.

I would look at a bersa thunder. I have only shot one in 380, but was impressed with it. It is single stack, and therefore narrow in the grip. The one I shot functioned flawlessly with remanufactured and rem golden saber ammo. Plus, it is a pretty good bargain in terms of price.

I haven't shot the xd, since we sell them so quickly that we don't rent them at our shop. I have handled the pistol, and it seems like a very nice gun.

Glocks are excellent firearms, but they are not for everyone. I have shot them all, save the 357 sig and 45 glock. If I were interested in a semi-auto, they would be at the top of my list. But...the gun has to fit the shooter; bottom line.

Good luck and good shooting!
Old December 31, 2006, 12:22 AM   #43
kgpcr

Try a Smith M&P9 or an M&P40! I used to own Glocks and XD's. I sold my Glocks when i changed to XD's and now i am going to the XD's. They point great, have a grip to fit just about anyone, are very accurate, have a great trigger for a stock gun, are utterly reliable and they are made of stainless steel. I know she and yourself would love them.
Smith M&P 40
Old December 31, 2006, 05:21 AM   #44
.351winchester

A semi-fullsize alternative: Kahr. These are very Glockish, basically the big difference is Kahrs are steel, alloy or Polymer, and are single stack. She should have no problem getting a full grip on it. Kahrs do seem a bit overpriced, and triggers are not exactly match grade.

I have small hands (wedding ring is size 7), but my 23, same diameter as the 17, gave me a lot of purchase. But some that feel very good in my paws are the Steyr M-9 (actually, forget what I said about the Kahr. This is an improved Glock, she should have a full grip on it, seek this one out to try.) The old Browning BDM has really thin dimensions not just in the grip but overall. Of Course the 1911 and Hi Power also (and all the single stack 9's- 3913,P5,P225,etc.). The Walther P-99 with the new trigger system has gotten a huge following and after handling one (not firing yet) fell in love.You can select the backstraps, they are interchangable, it feels so great in the hand (Plus she can accessorize it with a P-22).
One last reccomendation-HK P7M8, if you can find one, it will be costly, but an investment, also maybe the most size efficient pistol, and fast firing auto around. I envy anyone who owns one.

The Steyr M-9/well there is a new model now)is cheaper than a Glock. The P-99 QA and HK P7M8(recently OOP) cost a little more. But I think all three of these really deserve a look. All three have followings, when a lot of shooters try them, they never really go back to anything else. All of these are well suited for CCW use, but still offer good triggers and great handling, fast first shot abilities, etc.
The BDM she could check out if you see one, used to be able to find them used everywhere for cheap, not so much anymore. If a G17 was a real struggle for her, I guarantee she would have no problems with this with a capacity of 15, and carries really well also, it has the dimensions of a fullsize pistol but man, that was a great gun to carry. It hasn't been around in a long time, and any problems it may have will take longer to be fixed than would a more common peice. But I'm telling ya, this was a good one for little hands. One of the 3 above would IMO be the better pick, but for a fullsize, high cap auto for someone with really small hands it's not bad to try and find and see how it feels.

EDIT**for some reason I thought this was for CCW (yeah even a fullsize). I don't want to delete everything but disregard.
Two choices, and they are great for anyone-
1911 Government model, 9mm.
This feels like a .22. There is nothing like it. Awesome fun gun. Very accurate, 1911 brings out the best in everyones abilities. Definately have her check that out. If anything turns her on to shooting, it will be a 9mm 1911.

There is also a Hi Power, which with custom work are astounding pistols, 14 shots, thinnest grips on any double stack auto (with aftermarket scales), women in particular really do good with the BHP, I have noticed. Most women can handle anything a guy can but the really petite and initially recoil sensitive ladies become experts in days with a Hi Power. Personal observation and something have read. It's a good ladies gun.

But, she will fall in love with the Gov. Model 9mm, trust me. You will too. You'll not find a more controllable autopistol in that cal. or bigger or smaller. Combine that with the 1911 trigger, that's the cream of the crop for range work. And it is no joke at all for home defense either, with the right loads.
Try everything that catches your eye, but I reccomend a 1911, Springfield or Kimber, 5".
Old December 31, 2006, 05:34 AM   #45
E.T.

Another vote for the Walther P99 : adjustable backstraps, different trigger configurations (SA/DA - DAO or QA) and VERY reliable.

As for your fiance, my youngest daughter (age 13) can not rack the slide of the P99 but she can perfectly handle the Walther P5 which requires much less effort. I would consider the Walther P5 or P5 Compact for your fiance but as some people already said, better try as much guns as possible.
Old December 31, 2006, 02:25 PM   #46
fast200

Update

Well,

I first wanted to thank all of you for your input. Much of your advice was spot on and all of it was greatly appreciated. After two weekends at the range with my fiance, I just wanted to update you guys a little:

We shot a M&P40 which she really like the grip on, and I fell in love with. Unfortunately, she couldn't handle the snap (I thought it was fine ). In fact at one point she got really frustrated and I could tell it was time for another firearm. I, on the other hand, couldn't belive how comfortable it was compared to the Glock and shot it really well. This is going to have be my second firearm though because she cannot handle it and we would both need to use it for HD. We will try an M&P9 and a single stack 1911 next weekend per the recommendations here (although I'd like to keep the price around $500).

We shot a S&W Model 60 wheelgun in .38 spl, and she loved it. Perhaps because we just shot a .40, the felt recoil was almost nothing in comparison, and in a matter of no time the box was emptied by her. The grip was considerably smaller and she had no problems handling it. My only concern is that I didnt shoot it that well (I thought the sights sucked), but I guess that could be overcome with some practice.

We're still going to try some other models, but we may end up with a revolver if thats all she feels comfortable with. I would love to find some sort of compromise firearm we both could be happy with, but I don't know how many weeks of range time we can afford. Fortunately for us, our local range has a ton of firearms to rent, so we should be able to get feel for what we want.

Thanks for everything.
Old December 31, 2006, 03:02 PM   #47
Chui

Schmidt und Wesson M&P 9 mm

In my opinion the M&P 9 mm is the best of the rest (i.e., non-1911 pistols) at it's price point. S&W has produced a superb product unique enough to not be confused as a Glock knock off. I love it so much I took the USMC oath: "one is none and two is one." Yes, it's that good. S&W stands behind the product and it looks and feels like a winner. I treat it like a Glock - that is, it's nothing special and can take any normal abusive wear in stride and they have. The price is awesome: $475 at The Firing Line in Westland, Michigan (wetern suburb of Detroit Metro Area)

For more coin the H&K P2000 9mm is a very polished, well-engineered pistol. What else would one expect from ze Germans? It has a bit more felt recoil than the M&P with it's higher bore axis, but it pioneered the ambi mag relief & slide stop combined with the variable grip mainspring housings. Very nice. Prices vary, but they sell here at The Firing Line for $760 or so.

1911s are, for me, the best compromise. Why? The all steel platform combined with the venerable .45 ACP is a mild shooting pistol with an enviable single action trigger. Accurate, rapid ollow-up shots are a breeze. Ergonomics are perfect for me. It's single column ad the barrel lock-up mechanism allows for an extremely thin design which makes carrying concealed a breeze. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but I find that reassuring - and I shoot it better (i.e., surgically precise speed shooting) than any other pistol. Price (and quality) is over the map, with a decidedly tendency for higher prices compared to the inexpensive (to manufacture) polymer-framed pistols such as Glock, H&K and M&P.

I've also recently come to the conclusion [after much martial arts background and lots of combat pistol courses) that any carry pistol should have an external safety. Everyone may not share my pont of view and that's okay. Explanation: One must be exceedingly careful reholstering the "new breed" of short trigger, double action only pistols such as the Glock, M&P and others. This is especially true when under extreme stress. I find that I instinctively reholster my M&P very deliberately (being careful not to engage anything in the trigger guard), yet I am instinctively very quick and non-concerned reholstering the 1911 due to the external safety. My rationale is that a confrontation can quickly escalate from heated discussion to hand-to-hand to force of arms and then nearly as quickly de-escalate to hand-to-hand. We cannot say, "that circumstance will never happen; the chances are infinitesimal". Well, so is having to actually use your pistol in self-defense. But that doesn't diminish the reassurance one has when he/she is armed, capable and of the proper mindset to engage a goblin if called upon to do so.

Good luck with your decision.