The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2006, 11:15 PM   #1
revjen45

Slug accuracy, Mossy 500 mag cap

I just bought a Mossy 500A. It was advertised as 8-shot, but upon getting it home it holds six 2 3/4" shells (20" bbl with full length mag. 1 in the chamber & 5 in the mag). Is there a plug for political correctness? I haven't had the chance to take it apart (or shoot it yet). From a cyl bore without any added gadgets what is the most accurate slug- a hollow base with rifled grooves, or a sabot slug? I'm not looking for hunting accuracy at 100 yards (I have a rifle for long range), just a comparison. It joins the 9mms next to the bed for things that go bump in the night.
Old December 17, 2006, 01:04 AM   #2
xjz

I bought a mossberg 500 combo from Big 5 and it only has the 6 round magazine as it has a 18.5" barrel that came with it but there was a small wooden dowell (plug) inserted in the front end of the magazine tube I had to pull out. I don't know how many rounds it actuall fits in my 6 round mag yet as its a Christmas gift, but if you tip the gun from barrel down to barrel up and you hear something slideing back and forth then you too probably have a "plug" in your magazine.
Old December 17, 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Maser

I got my Mossberg as a belated 12th birthday gift from my dad. It had a wooden dowel in it as well. I didn't get the combo kit, I just got it with a 28" accu-choke barrel. I later bought extra barrels including a 24" fully rifled one.

If you are just using a cylinder bore you will get exceptional accuracy with rifled slugs, but will not from sabots. Sabots need either a fully rifled barrel or a rifled choke to be accurate.